• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shall I get this lens?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
https://fstoppers.com/review/best-portrait-lens-youve-never-heard-nikon-135mm-f2-3099

Lens-Logo.jpg

The Nikon 135mm f/2 DC is a bit of a gem in the portrait game but as the title might suggest, you might not have heard of this lens. This may be due to one of a few reasons: The primary being that it’s a reasonably old lens; it hasn’t been updated optically in its nearly 25 years in the Nikon lineup. Another being that even if you have heard of it, it’s probably because it has gotten a bad reputation as a “soft focus” lens due to its unique Defocus Control feature. I was curious, so I bought one of these lenses myself to test out and the results were both surprising, and frustrating.
My first impression of this lens when I pulled it out of it’s box was “Wow, that front element is massive!” The 72mm filter size makes quite an impression. That exclamation was quickly followed by “Wow this lens looks old!” That may sound harsh, but the lens is nearly 25 years old and Nikon has done quite a lot of updating to the outward appearance of its other lenses since then.
That being said, it’s quite compact for a telephoto. It weighted nicely and its all-metal construction means it feels solid. The attached metal hood is also quite nice, although it makes it difficult to attach/remove the lens cap when it is out. It is also quite prone to sticking if you don’t push it back in properly.
Lens-11-710x409.jpg

So overall, I have no complaints here. It is a dated looking lens, but who really cares? It's solid and should stand up to whatever you throw at it. Besides, I’ve never had a client complain because my lens looked funny.
So what happens when this lens is put to task?
The first thing that I wanted to test was the legendary Bokeh of this lens owing not only to its fast aperture of f/2, but also a feature that has not been fitted to a Nikon lens since the 135mm f/2 and its little brother the 105mm f/2: Nikon calls it Defocus Control. I did a little research on this and it seems that when Nikon first introduced this lens in the United States and other English speaking countries back in 1991, they got the translation a bit wrong and it earned bad reputation as a soft focus lens. However, it seems that “Defocus” is just a translation of the Japanese word for Bokeh, so instead of a soft lens, it simply offers you the ability to control the out of focus areas of the picture. I have absolutely no idea how all of this is done from a technical standpoint, but I can show you how to operate it on the lens itself.
In addition to an aperture and focus ring, this lens also has a ring dedicated to its Defocus Control feature.
ring-710x409.jpg

It looks complicated but the best way to look at it is to pick which aperture you plan to shoot on and then decide if you want to control the out of focus areas in front or behind the focus point. Once these decisions have been made, simply adjust the ring so that the marker is pointed to the aperture on which you are shooting.
If you would like to see exactly what this lens does when you’re changing the DC ring, the following image was locked off at f/2 and the Defocus control lens was rotated from Maximum Front Focused to Maximum Rear Focus and all points in between. The results are certainly dramatic.
DOF-Comparison-710x250.jpg

Obviously this is an extreme example, but it demonstrates what this particular lens can do.
Now that we've covered the things that aren't in focus, let's focus on the things that are in focus.
I think I can best sum it up by saying that it is one of, if not the sharpest, f/2.8 lenses I’ve ever used. The problem, however, lies in the fact that this lens opens up to f/2. It is very sharp at f/2 in selective circumstances. If you put the sun behind your subject, you’re going to have severe Chromatic Aberration or Purple/Green fringes.
Lens-5-710x410.jpg

All of these are fixable in post, but it’s certainly a little annoying. With this lens, the best bet is to shoot at 2.5 or 2.8 to avoid the problems with CA. That of course begs the question, if I have to stop down to f/2.8, then what’s the point of the lens?
The answer for me is simple: It’s tack sharp and you get some of the best Bokeh of any lens I’ve used recently. Like this shot of my friend Taylor goofing off.
Shoot-with-Taylor-16-710x473.jpg

Next, let's move on to Autofocus.
So while the issues with Sharpness in less than ideal situations can be fixed simply by stopping down a few clicks or simply adjusting your light, the issues with Autofocus are a bit more tricky to deal with. The lens that I bought consistently front focused on subjects less than about 10 feet away. Luckily the D800 that this was tested on allowed me to go in and fine tune the Autofocus which nearly fixed the issue when maxed out at +20, but did not completely solve the problem. I learned to start focusing on ears, not eyes in order to get the eyes of my subject in focus. In addition to this, one of the major flaws with this lens is its lack of an automatic manual focus override. Instead of simply grabbing the focus ring and turning to make manual tweaks to the focus, you have to turn a ring on the camera that disengages the Auto Focus and then you can make manual adjustments. In other words, this is not a lens to run and gun with. This is a lens that makes you work for the amazing results that it can yield.
I should also note that this is most definitely not a sports lens as the Autofocus has a tendency to crawl along. This is a portrait lens so don't expect it to perform miracles with its autofocus.
Finally though, after all of that, it comes down to the bottom line: How much am I paying for this? Well the answer is $1,299 if you order from B&H. For a fast, prime lens this is actually a really good deal. Its closest competitor, the 85mm f/1.4g, will run you close to $1700 and the excellent 70-200mm f/2.8 will cost you very nearly $3000. With things in perspective, the 135mm is a great value for money.
What I liked:
Weight
Fast aperture
Bokeh
Solid Build Quality
Sharpness (at all apertures f/2.8 and beyond)
What Could Be Improved:
Chromatic Aberration at f/2
Sharpness at f/2
Autofocus Speed and Accuracy
Overall, I loved using this lens, but in the end it doesn’t suit how I shoot. I am primarily a wedding photographer and I need a lens that will be consistently sharp at all apertures and will focus quickly and accurately without me really having to think about it all that much. Unfortunately, this lens just wasn't what I needed. I ended up returning it.
That being said however, I don't want you to think of this as a negative review. When I had the opportunity to use this lens outside of the high-pressure environment of a wedding, this lens was incredible. It just takes patience to get the best out of it. I wish that I could have kept it, but unfortunately my budget for new gear is tight so I have to spend it where it’s needed and if I can’t use it for my paid jobs, then it doesn’t have a place in my bag.
If you have the time to be patient with it, The Nikon 135mm f/2 DC is hands down one of the best portrait lenses I’ve ever used. It’s an incredibly sharp lens. That, and short of its bigger, heavier, and much more technologically advanced brother, the Nikon 200mm f/2, it has the best bokeh of any lens I’ve ever used.
If I could ask Nikon to do one thing it would be to update this lens! The 135mm f/2 updated to the spec of the amazing 85mm f/1.4G would never leave my camera. That being said however, Sigma is reportedly working on a 135mm f/1.8 which has gotten me incredibly excited. I will be first in line to buy one of those if it is ever released.
Interested in buying one for yourself? Head on over to B&H and grab one.
*For very patient photographers

Posted In:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The lens above is fascinating. The design is 25 years old but it still renders great images.

However, if I want up-to-date equipment for my studio work, I should probably get this one... all the bells and whistles included.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-200mm-ii.htm

[SIZE=+4]
Nikon 70-200mm VR II
[SIZE=+3]AF-S G ED NIKKOR (2009-)[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
© 2009-2014 KenRockwell.com. All rights reserved.​

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II (77mm filter, 54.3 oz/1,540g, 4.6'/1.4m close focus,about $2,400) enlarge. I'd get it at Adorama or Amazon. Adorama pays top dollar for your used gear, especially the older model 70-200mm VR. It helps me keep adding to this site when you get yours through these links, thanks! Ken.

NEW: Nikon 70-200mm f/4 VR. Just as sharp, for half the price.​
NEW: Nikon 80-400mm G VR. Same price, with double the zoom range.

[SIZE=+3]Introduction[/SIZE] top
I hate this lens because it is so good than now I want to buy one. I borrowed one to test, and it turned out so subtly excellent that it surprised me.

I was fully hoping that this was the same as the previous 70-200mm VR, except missing the AF lock buttons and $500 more expensive, but no.

This new 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II does everything a little better than every other previous 80-200mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom. Drat. I can't find any area in which it isn't Nikon's best yet. The only potential gotcha is that at close distances, the effective focal length range contracts, effectively becoming a 65-135mm lens at 5 feet (1.5m).

Nikon should know: they invented the world's first 80-200mm f/2.8in 1982, and every five years, Nikon cranks out a better one. Every one of these lenses has been, and today still is, superb. The few of us who get the luxury to test each of these sadly have to admit that this is the sharpest, least distorting, fastest and most accurate focusing fast tele zoom ever from Nikon.

This new 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II is now the seventh iteration of this series. I chronicle and compare all seven versions at Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 History.

What's new is that the close-focus distance is now rated as 4.6 feet (1.4 meters) instead of the 5 feet (1.5 meters) of every other Nikon f/2.8 tele zoom since 1988.

Every pro I know wants this new lens because 5 feet is never close enough. Paying $500 more is a bargain to get an extra half-foot close-focus range for the lens that most pros shoot 80% of the time, all day, every day. All of us are always banging the close focus stop of our tele zooms, and this new lens gives us an extra half foot.

In fact, I measured it, and the sample I borrowed focuses to just 4 feet, two inches (50" or 127cm), much better than specified. The only other Nikon tele zoom that focuses more closely is the pro's secret, the 1986 70-210mm f/4 AF, but since it's a secret and sells used for only about $150 used, I won't tell you about it. The 70-210mm f/4-5.6 focuses more closely, too.

Focus is superb. At f/2.8 on my D3, every single shot is dead-on, unlike some other lenses that can show focus offsets.

This new 70-200mm VR II has only half the distortion of the lenses that came before it.

Vibration reduction is so good it lets me get perfect tripod-equivalent sharpness most of the time hand-held at 1/8 of a second at all focal lengths!

Sharpness of every Nikon f/2.8 tele zoom, even the manual-focus 1982 model, has always been superb. This model is even better. Pros never look for sharpness in the corner of a tele because they want the corners soft and dark, but for amateurs that don't know enough about photography to think that sharp, bright corners are good, this new version has sharper corners and less light falloff compared to the previous70-200mm VR. Actually, corner sharpness at 200mm seems much better, but the sample of 70-200mm VR II I borrowed was somewhat softer on the right than the left side. This is normal production variation for $2,500 zoom lenses.

The AF-Lock buttons, present on the past two 70-200mm VR (2003-2009) and 80-200mm AF-S (1999-2004) models, have been removed from this new 70-200mm VR II. Sorry, Nikon has to do something to save costs when they raise the price $500. Children are starving in Japan, too.

A new focus-mode switch position is less sensitive to accidental movement of the manual-focus ring.

Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II, tripod foot removed. enlarge.

With every new model, weight also goes up. The length shrinks by 10mm, but the weight goes up another 2.25 oz (64g) as I actually measured between the two 70-200mm VR models. Personally, the plastic made-in-China 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6Dtakes pretty much exactly the same pictures, and weighs only 11.7 oz (333g) and sells for only about $50 used, but pros don't want it not because of optics, but because pros need to shoot in the rain and not worry about the lens leaking, and beat the heck out of the lens physically.

The plastic hood is quite sturdy, with a metal locking pin. It's an effeminate, flowery little thing, consisting of just four little pods. It's not much excuse for a hood; I'd leave it in the box. It's not a macho-man hood like the one that comes with the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S, but at least it's not likely to fall off when it gets knocked.

The closer focus is very important to almost every pro, making this lens a must-have for full-timers. Part-time wedding shooters and others couldn't care less and will prefer to save their $500 and keep their now old-and-crummy 70-200mm VRs.

Yes, you should buy this lens if you're full-time, and no, save your money for more film and travel if you're a student.

If I was buying a new f/2.8 tele zoom, this would be it. Personally, I prefer smaller fixed lenses.

Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II. enlarge.​
[SIZE=+2]Compatibility[/SIZE] back to intro back to top

Everything works perfectly on every digital Nikon, both FX and DX, and even on Nikon's cheapest digital D40, D40x, D60, D3000 and D5000.
It's also perfect on decent or recent AF film cameras like the F6, F100, F5, N80 andN75.

The incompatibilities for older or cheaper film cameras are that:

1.) It won't autofocus with the cheapest new AF film cameras like the N55, but if you focus manually, everything else works great. Even if you lose autofocus, these cameras have in-finder focus confirmation dots to help you.

2.) Late 1980s ~ early 1990s AF cameras like the N90s, N70 and F4 will focus just fine, but you'll lose VR. You'll have Program and Shutter-priority modes, but lose Manual and Aperture-priority since you have no way to set the aperture on the camera or on the lens.

3.) You're really pushing it with the oldest AF cameras like the N2020, N6006 and N8008. You'll have no AF, confused exposure modes, and no VR. Manual focus is fine, along with electronic focus indications.

4.) Since it has no aperture ring, it's just about useless with manual focus film cameras.

See Nikon Lens Compatibility for details with your camera. Read down the "AF-S, AF-I," "G" and "VR" columns for this lens. You'll get the least of all the features displayed in all columns, since "G" (gelding) is a handicap which removes features.
[SIZE=+2][SIZE=+3]Specifications[/SIZE] [/SIZE] top

[SIZE=+2]Name[/SIZE]
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II.

[SIZE=+2]Optics[/SIZE]
Internal construction (ED elements in yellow). enlarge.

21 elements in 16 groups.​
7 elements are of ED glass.

[SIZE=+2]Diaphragm Blades[/SIZE]​
9 rounded.​

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
[h=2]Product Description[/h]Style: Lens Only
[h=3]Product Description[/h]The go-to lens of demanding professionals and serious enthusiasts, the 70-200mm f/2.8 is one of the most useful and sought after high-performance lenses for sports, wildlife, portrait, travel and news photographers. Nikon has further refined the lens, with an enhanced optical formula featuring seven extra low dispersion (ED) glass elements. These elements provide the ultimate in rendering characteristics to capture vibrant, high resolution images with optimal contrast. Image quality is further enhanced by Nikon's Nano Crystal Coat, which reduces instances of lens flare and ghosting, elevating optical performance, even in tricky conditions such as those found in professional sports settings and stage events.Designed to deliver the pinnacle of image quality in a wide variety of conditions, the new 70-200mm VR II lens also includes a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for fast, quiet autofocusing. The SWM takes full advantage of 3D tracking autofocus (AF) systems, such as those found on the FX-format D3X, D3 and D700 D-SLR cameras. Three focus modes are available - M, A/M and M/A - for automatically focusing, manually focusing or fine tuning AF performance to best suit the photographers' needs. Nine rounded diaphragm blades contribute to a more attractive bokeh, allowing photographers create soft and more naturally separated backgrounds that better highlight the subject.
Fast f/2.8 Zoom-NIKKOR lens
Perfect for sports, photojournalism and wildlife photography.
Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization
Vibration Reduction, engineered specifically for each VR NIKKOR lens, enables handheld shooting at up to 4 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible, assuring dramatically sharper images.
7 Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements
Offers superior sharpness and color correction by effectively minimizing chromatic aberration, even at the widest aperture settings.
Nano Crystal Coat

[h=3]From the Manufacturer[/h]This fast f/2.8 Zoom-Nikkor lens is perfect for sports, photojournalism and wildlife photography.

Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization
Vibration Reduction, engineered specifically for each VR Nikkor lens, enables handheld shooting at up to 4 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible, assuring dramatically sharper images.

7 Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements
Offers superior sharpness and color correction by effectively minimizing chromatic aberration, even at the widest aperture settings.

nikon.70_200.diagram._V218272982_.jpg

Nano Crystal Coat
Further reduces ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity.

Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC)
Enhances light transmission and offers superior color consistency and reduced flare.

Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
Enables fast, accurate, and quiet autofocus.

Rounded 9-blade diaphragm
Renders more natural appearance of out-of-focus image elements.

Internal Focus (IF)
Provides fast and quiet autofocus without changing the length of the lens, retaining subjectworking distance through the focus range.

Focuses to 4.6 feet
Close focusing provided throughout the entire zoom range for extended versatility.

M/A focus mode switch
Enables quick response to changing situations between manual and autofocus operation.

Flower-shaped lens hood
Included HB-48 lens hood--shades the objective from unwanted, image-degrading light.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I bought the lens. Picked it up at lunch time. Heading to studio this evening to test it out.

Attachments

• File-15-12-15,-2-37-32-PM.jpg
    File-15-12-15,-2-37-32-PM.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 307