• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - PAP : Singapore avoided a financial disater by not listening to Mr Cockles!

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
310737921_5353337328107284_5392272786416018816_n.jpg

Two years have now passed since Jamus Lim suggested borrowing money to fund additional spending by the government during a parliamentary debate on i.a. minimum wage in September of 2020.
1f534.png

Subsequent events of these two years show us who was right on policy - and the differences between economic theory and harsh realities of running a country.
Back in 2020 Jamus Lim was arguing that the government was "over-saving" and that it should use beneficial economic conditions of very low interest rates to borrow more money and spend it domestically, to somehow help Singaporeans (hard to say what the "investment" Jamus had in mind really meant).
Singapore is, indeed, run so well that its borrowing costs have for many years now been below its investment returns from the reserves.
So, a case could be made for issuing more debt and, even if not throwing the money into the crowds, then at least placing it in the safe hands of GIC or Temasek to collect the premium.
1f534.png

The problem with that, however, is that you never know how long the good times will last. And when they end, you're hit with a double whammy, seeing your investments suddenly drop in value while your borrowings become a lot more expensive to service.
During the very same debate (you can find the full transcript on the website of the parliament) Jamus called himself "much more of an ideas person" - and you can see why.
It's easy to think about policy and come up with ideas you bear no responsibility for. It's not your money at stake, after all.
You can gamble with public funds and then shrug when the unexpected happens, saying that nobody really predicted it - just like it was with the surge in inflation and, subsequently, interest rates around the world from 2021 onward.
Major companies have tumbled by 20-40-60 even 80% from their stock market highs of 2021. Meanwhile, borrowing costs have gone nothing but up.
1f534.png

The good times ended not even a year after Jamus made his comments, highlighting just how tumultuous and unpredictable the global situation may be.
This is the reality of policymaking. You can't assume the future will be rosy - you have to be prepared for the worst, including a scenario of having it hit you unpredictably just a few months down the road.
Before making any policy recommendations it would be advisable for Jamus Lim to have thought about an alternative scenario. What if interest rates suddenly spike? What if the world is shaken by record inflation? What if a nutcase in the Kremlin starts a war?
Does it, then, make sense to get into debt that the country itself doesn't absolutely need, just to embark on a string of populist policies, which may end up costing a few times more than anticipated?
Sitoh Yin Pin, PAP MP, made a cautionary remark to Jamus at the time. Unlike the university tutor, he's a professional accountant with 30+ years experience - here's his full comment, before the follow up reply I cited in the image:
"As an accountant, I am rather perturbed by something Assoc Prof Jamus Lim said just now. If I heard you correctly, you said that given low interest rate, it is now time to re-mortgage your properties.
As an accountant with over three decades of experience, I can tell you that is how people start getting into trouble. I hope you are not teaching that in your classes.
But to my knowledge, Singapore is one of the very few countries in the world, maybe the only one that has not got to borrow in such pandemic times.
Having a balance sheet is good, having savings is not a sin, having savings like the way we have it, is very good. So, may you clarify on what you have just said? I hope I heard you wrongly."
Sadly, he didn't but fortunately, it's not Jamus Lim who makes these decisions.

https://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/...sater-by-not-listening-to-mr-cockles.6819004/

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nothing wrong with refinancing for a 30-year fixed loan at low interest rates. borrowing short term with adjustable rate loans is a no-no. in fact, many who bought homes years ago and finance their purchases with 30-year loans at low mortgage rates are now celebrating their fortunes, timing, and luck.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought PAP always say we are triple A plus credibility ? We can always borrow on below market rates. In a high rate market you borrow high you also lend high. But if our credibility is so strong we have no problems borrowing. What is PAP smoking now ?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sg mortgage loan tenures or lock-in periods for fixed rate are only 1 to 5 years. fucked up. it’s like adjustable rate mortgages (arms) in the u.s. from 3 to 5 to 7 to 10 years where introductory rates in the 1st few years can balloon to higher rates at the end of tenure or lock-in period. for fixed rate mortgages in u.s. it’s either 15-year or 30-year tenures.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guy who wrote the article is a financial twit. A good investment will always generate better returns. My worst investment is giving back 6% per annum compared to my bank loans even if I used the most current hiked rates. Fed raise interest rates but it is still nothing compared to investment returns.

If you're really so dumb that you are comparing pure saving rates, you would have taken actions to protect your capital right before the Fed raise rates.

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jamus wasn't wrong tho?

Pick up lots of $$ near 0% last year, dump it into US Treasuries this year: Free money

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was written by Critical Spectator that Polish dog who obviously is also a woof woof Pappy Dog. He's under PAP's payroll for so many years now. His cult like devotion for the PAP makes him lower than a street rabid Mongrel.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought PAP always say we are triple A plus credibility ? We can always borrow on below market rates. In a high rate market you borrow high you also lend high. But if our credibility is so strong we have no problems borrowing. What is PAP smoking now ?
Borrow yes, but from u! Want more money they just have to issue more PRs that is how we borrow at low cost. :sneaky: