• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - 'I can buy a whole pack from supermarket': Diner outraged over $1 charge for chilli at East Ocean restaurant

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
200524_chilli%20dim%20sum.jpg

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/i...iner-outraged-over-1-charge-chilli-east-ocean

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
'I can buy a whole pack from supermarket': Diner outraged over $1 charge for chilli at East Ocean restaurant
'I can buy a whole pack from supermarket': Diner outraged over $1 charge for chilli at East Ocean restaurant
Diners who want a plate of chilli sauce or cut chillies will have to pay $1 before GST and service charge.
PHOTO: Chee
Lim Kewei
Chilli sauce is typically served at no extra charge at restaurants.

But one diner was shocked to learn that she would have to pay $1 for a plate of chilli sauce at the popular East Ocean Teochew Restaurant located in Ngee Ann City.

The establishment is known for its Teochew cuisine and dim sum.

The diner, who only wanted to be known as Chee, told AsiaOne that each order of the condiment is also subject to GST and service charge, which meant that each saucer of chilli costs around $1.20.

She has never come across such charges; save for the one time she visited an eatery in the Hong Kong airport.

"I can understand if the first plate of chilli is complimentary, and the subsequent plates are chargeable. But to charge for chilli that usually goes with dim sum - I can't appreciate [this move]," said Chee.

"I can buy a whole pack [of chillis] from the supermarket at a cheaper price."

AsiaOne found that the restaurant has a four-star rating on Google reviews, with reviewers praising the taste of the dishes.

"It tastes better than it looks... Old school vibes of the restaurant is also quite hard to find nowadays," commented one diner.

"Decently priced restaurant, service is fast and efficient. And the overall taste of the dishes is not bad," wrote another customer.

Among the negative reviews left on the page, however, were several diners who expressed their shock over the $1 charge for chillis.

"Didn't know chilli became that expensive. Scary indeed in my opinion. Small plate of chilli and to charge $1 is a little over the tab," wrote a reviewer.

Said another: "First time being charged one dollar for chilli sauce in a restaurant in Singapore."

Several reviewers were unhappy about the $1 charge for a plate of chilli sauce. PHOTO: Screengrab/Google
AsiaOne has reached out to East Ocean Teochew Restaurant for more information.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why singaporeans eat things must have chilli? is it supposed to mask the blandness or the poor taste quality?
if the food is good, there is no need for additional seasoning like chilli
if the food is bad, then you might as well eat chilli at home.