• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Selangor m&ds And Local Sultan Upset That Chink Script Is Above m&d Script In Road Signs! Sultan Throws Birthday Tantrum!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
defaced_road_sign_shah_alam_-_mm.jpg

SHAH ALAM (Malaysia) — Several road signs in Shah Alam, Selangor containing Chinese characters appeared to have been defaced, following public complaints and the subsequent decree by the Sultan of Selangor calling for their removal.

Checks by Malay Mail in the Subang Perdana, Subang New Village, and Kampung Melayu Subang areas on Tuesday (Nov 20) found that on some of those signage, the Chinese characters were sprayed over with black paint.

Some were painted over neatly with green paint, similar to the original colour of the signs. It could not be confirmed if the latter ones were done by the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA), who said on Tuesday it was in the middle of replacing the dual-language signage.

This comes as several local residents told Malay Mail their displeasure at the amount of public money being spent to install new signage with either Chinese or Tamil script, and subsequently the removal and replacement following the royal decree.

But several of the ethnic Chinese locals interviewed also pointed out that they care little for the signage with Chinese script.

“I didn't pay attention to all these. Even if the signboards are here, it’s no use. It’s still difficult to find your way here,” said 68-year old Ng Ket Leng when met at Subang Perdana.

“This is just a waste of money. When finding routes here is already difficult, writing the road names in Chinese is of no use.

“This is not a problem at all. Let's all not fight over this. It's enough with just one language,” the pensioner added.

Just like Mr Ng, tailor Chor Chong Tin, 59, was also indifferent. But he felt that having Chinese spellings may come handy for those who have poor knowledge of Malay language.

“Some people don't know Malay or English, so they just read the Chinese language.

“However, just Chinese language alone too won’t do. For me, it’s not a problem. I don't care. I'm very simple,” Mr Chor said.

shah_alam_sign_-_mm.jpg

INCLUSIVITY OR PROVOCATION?

Several Malay residents interviewed saw the initial move to install dual-language signage as provocation, with some even suggesting a conspiracy.

“Why must the Chinese wordings be on top and be prioritised?” asked a 65-year-old self-employed resident of Taman Subang Baru, Abdul Majid Sumal.

“I was meaning to ask. Now this is simple. Who did this, and who approved it? That person must face action, because this person, I am sure they know that in Malaysia, Chinese language is secondary to Bahasa Malaysia.”

Mr Abdul Majid suggested that the issue may not have been controversial had the Chinese writing been printed below the Malay version.

Omar Hassan, a resident from Kampung Melayu Subang, said he had contacted state assemblyman Shatiri Mansor to express discontent over the use of Chinese language on the road signs, claiming that local council rules do not allow such practice.

“If according to the specs issued by the local council in 2017 the council allowed that Bahasa Malaysia must be 30 per cent larger than Chinese writings or the Indian language.

“Chinese and Indian words were also allowed beneath Bahasa Malaysia, but it must be smaller than the wordings of the national language. Likewise, with postcodes and others,” the self-employed Mr Omar told Malay Mail.

“However today, we here, have a new village head, and a new state executive committee member, and they raised this type of signboards here,” Mr Omar claimed, although he did not provide any proof.

He also expressed fear that the signage issues might lead to racial tension, claiming that the recent signage have broken the purportedly harmonious life of the residents here.

Selangor Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah said in a decree earlier this week through his private secretary that he wants the road signs to be changed. The work should be completed before the Sultan’s 73rd birthday on December 11, the decree added.

MBSA Corporate and Public Relations Division head Shahrin Ahmad said on Tuesday that the work to dismantle all such signs is being done in stages and is expected to be completed soon.

Following a meeting of the Selangor local government committee on Jan 13, it was decided that the road signs will contain two languages besides the Romanised script.

The committee also decided that the Jawi script will also be used for the road signs in traditional villages and the Chinese script for the road signs in the new villages, depending on the community in the area. AGENCIES

https://www.todayonline.com/world/s...s-defaced-local-council-slammed-wasting-money

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
m&ds will take forever to improve, what's the use of having the signages with malay above the other languages if it doesn't show the correct direction, except perhaps "kampung puki-mak"? it's just addressing the symptoms but not the cure :frown:
“I didn't pay attention to all these. Even if the signboards are here, it’s no use. It’s still difficult to find your way here,”
said 68-year old Ng Ket Leng when met at Subang Perdana.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are no Malay road signs in China so why should there be any Chink road signs in Malaysia.
The new gahmen's must be in drugs. They already announce to legalise medical marijuana. And ketum plantation, currently prohibuted, could be encouraged for medical purposes too.

Anyway, china road sign include in english alphabet. Do malays can read this.

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
The new gahmen's must be in drugs. They already announce to legalise medical marijuana. And ketum plantation, currently prohibuted, could be encouraged for medical purposes too.

Anyway, china road sign include in english alphabet. Do malays can read this.

...m&ds love it to the core..95%/ will agree to be legalise..So can smoke in peace..

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The national language is Malay. Not cina.

Malay is the national language in Singapore too. It's a beautiful language. But don't understand why people cannot speak other languages without being accused of being disrespectful to the national language. Racism or language chauvinism has no place in a modern progressive society and Malaysia is a modern progressive society and much more. Besides the girl is just trying to earn a living lawfully and the moron is trying to kacau her. I am sure she can speak fluent Bahasa too but she is trying to stand her ground that's all. Please don't ask her to balik kampung to China coz her kampung is in multi-racial Malaysia.:biggrin:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malay is the national language in Singapore too. It's a beautiful language. But don't understand why people cannot speak other languages without being accused of being disrespectful to the national language. Racism or language chauvinism has no place in a modern progressive society and Malaysia is a modern progressive society and much more. Besides the girl is just trying to earn a living lawfully and the moron is trying to kacau her. I am sure she can speak fluent Bahasa too but she is trying to stand her ground that's all. Please don't ask her to balik kampung to China coz her kampung is in multi-racial Malaysia.:biggrin:

Sinkieland. Dont say Malay as national language. Even English as official language and u would still hear those cina speaking Mandarin all the way. Mcam in china.

When cina speak to each other in Mandarin, i can understand. But why she spoke in Mandarin to a Malay (tat guy definitely dont look like cina to me)? Stand her ground on what? Msia kan multi racial country. I am very sure she can speak Malay.

I agree....racism and language chauvinism totally rejected in modern society.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkieland. Dont say Malay as national language. Even English as official language and u would still hear those cina speaking Mandarin all the way. Mcam in china.

When cina speak to each other in Mandarin, i can understand. But why she spoke in Mandarin to a Malay (tat guy definitely dont look like cina to me)? Stand her ground on what? Msia kan multi racial country. I am very sure she can speak Malay.

I agree....racism and language chauvinism totally rejected in modern society.
And yet when it favours the m&ds they sing a different tune ....Malay national language etc..n than say racism n language chauvinism when it's another language

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knowing the demands of m&ds n their belief in their own superiority...it is better not to put multi language signs. It serves no purpose at all. Besides antagonising the mudslimes. No need to give them more excuses to fan racism.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When will the PAP make all of us speak Malay?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are sultans who are UMNO clowns ...the Selangor sultan is one of them. He is going to cause troubles for the ruling government but he won't go to far because the royals know how far Dr. M will hit them if they cross the line.

I hope before Dr. M leaves, he will strip all the legal protection the Sultans and Agong currently enjoy. They should be treated at the same level as ordinary Mudlanders.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why should road signs in MALAYsia be in Chinese ?
There are more Chinese in Thailand than Malaysia and I have yet to see a Chinese road sign there.
Even Chinese New Year is not a Public Holiday in Thailand .

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why should road signs in MALAYsia be in Chinese ?
There are more Chinese in Thailand than Malaysia and I have yet to see a Chinese road sign there.
Even Chinese New Year is not a Public Holiday in Thailand .

U see. Sinkies cina and jiuhukia like to bleat like a goat concerning blasphemy law blah blah blah....Islam tis Islam tat. But when come to Thailand, why silent? Try discredit the King or the temple? And taste their blasphemy law.:rolleyes: