• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

See How Badly Raided Peesai's Constitution Has Become! 7 Minitoots Have 0 GE Experien

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top> Coffeeshop Chit Chat - PAP balls drop liao.</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>nextinfidel <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>7:05 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(1 of 3) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>48392.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD id=msgtxt_1 class=msgtxt>22 April 2011 2139 hrs
SINGAPORE: Seven office holders in government have never faced an electoral battle.
But this could change if the opposition manages to field candidates in all 27 constituencies at the coming polls.
One quarter (21 members) of Singapore's most recent Parliament has never faced an electoral contest. They include four ministers, two of whom were introduced in the 2001 election and one brought in at the last election in 2006.
Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan and Education Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen were introduced in the 2001 election while Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts Mr Lui Tuck Yew was elected as Member of Parliament for Tanjong Pagar GRC in the 2006 election.
Among the four, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Mr Lim Swee Say is the most seasoned politician. He had walkovers in three elections.
And in the 2006 election, half of the 25 new faces had walkovers.
Some have asked if new PAP candidates, standing in Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs), have an easy route into Parliament.
Over the years, the opposition has continued to oppose the system, saying it is one which benefits the People's Action Party (PAP).
Introduced in 1988, GRCs are multi-member constituencies to ensure minority representation in Parliament.
The GRC system is also seen as a way to induct high-calibre new candidates, given Singapore's limited talent pool.
Associate Professor Hussin Mutalib, a political analyst at the National University of Singapore (NUS), said: "There has not been a single GRC lost; there has not been a single candidate lost within the GRC system. We want them to win first. So, once they win the election through their own work and contribution and articulation of policies and so on, by their own right, gradually they will build up and become their own leaders."
Candidates who have gone through a contest like Denise Phua described it as a "baptism of fire".
She said: "It was a steep learning curve. I had to get a good knowledge of the activist I was working with, people I served and really getting a grip of the local and national issues and making sure my predecessor, whatever knowledge and wisdom he has, I get to learn from him. But all in, I had a very good experience. I'm glad I went through it. Having gone through it, this time round, I'm even better prepared."
Still, she said that going through a contest is not what defines a politician.
"Going through an election is important and is a good development of a politician but if a politician focuses on that - just winning elections, making the competition look bad, posturing too much - then I think over time the voters and the residents will know and that must not be the end."
She said winning an election is a means to serve the people and the causes one is interested in and feels strongly about.
"So to me, that is the end....Going through an election is important but let's not get overboard on focusing so much on just the election and sounding good or looking good," said Ms Phua, adviser to Jalan Besar GRC Grassroots Organisations.
When asked about how he feels to be possibly facing his first contest since entering politics 14 years ago, Mr Lim Swee Say told Channel NewsAsia that contest or not, he approaches each election the same way - fully prepared.
Mr Lim has been announced as part of the PAP team contesting East Coast GRC.
Observers have said that even though the percentage of votes going to the opposition may increase this coming election, it may not necessarily translate to elected seats in Parliament.
Having said that, though, they added that the Constitution has been amended to allow for at least nine opposition members in the House, but they include Non-Constituency MPs (NCMPs). The post of NCMP is given to opposition members who pulled in the highest number of votes among losers.
One thing all agree on is that the prospect of a contest for all constituencies is a good development for Singapore.
"Many of the times in the past, many candidates did not have a chance to face the baptism of fire not because they did not want to but because they had not enough candidates to contest. And most Singaporeans, I know, would like to be able to exercise a vote and to choose who they want to represent them," said Ms Phua.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: See How Badly Raided Peesai's Constitution Has Become! 7 Minitoots Have 0 GE Expe

Vote carefully... Everyone's vote is precious...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: See How Badly Raided Peesai's Constitution Has Become! 7 Minitoots Have 0 GE Expe

Vote carefully... Everyone's vote is precious...

I agree, it is a gift that comes once in 5 years. Personally, I feel this will be the last for all Singaporeans. If PAP wins, we lose not only our jobs, our loyalty but the whole soverignity of Singapore will be gone to foreigners. 5 years later, Singaporeans will become a miniority - 1/3 of the population. We will not recognise who is Singaporeans anymore, except to identify them when they wear army uniform[

Thus 7th May 2011 is a deciding factor, our fate now lies in our hands.

Last edited:

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear myfoot123,

I agree with you.

If we continue to let PAP win, they will continue to dilute the true born, and bred Singaporeans, Singaporeans (male) who have paid their time, effort, blood, sweat in the name of national service (some with their lives)...

If the population base is increased to 6.5 Million people... Singapore will be over crowded. Worst, born & bred Singaporeans diluted...

Overall income level drops, RICH & POOR GAP widens.

Overall cost of living increases, and overall income lowered.

7th May 2011 is Singaporean's last chance... if we all give more mandate for opposition parties, we will stand a chance to have our voices truly represented by them in Parliament, but if we chose otherwise, there will not be any chance of Singaporean's voices being heard, and everyone's life will be just another "non-elite, serf, peon". Are we not free men / women? Why do we have to always listen to people who are not in anyway superior than us... and make decisions for our nation that is not beneficial to the people of Singapore... but only to a few elites?

Let us all reflect carefully over the past decade, and also reflect carefully what was being done to Singaporeans... life is getting tougher and tougher, and that's to most Singaporeans, but life is getting easier and easier to a few elites...