• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S Korea : Milf First lady opposes dog meat consumption

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
First lady opposes dog meat consumption
m.koreatimes.co.kr

9.jpg

First lady Kim Keon-hee, left, and President Yoon Suk-yeol pose with one of their dogs at the presidential office in Seoul, May 29. Screenshot from Facebook account of first lady Kim Keon-hee's supporters
First lady Kim Keon-hee, left, and President Yoon Suk-yeol pose with one of their dogs at the presidential office in Seoul, May 29. Screenshot from Facebook account of first lady Kim Keon-hee's supporters
By Lee Hae-rin

First lady Kim Keon-hee called for animal rights in her first media interview given since her husband, President Yoon Suk-yeol, took office on May 10.

"Korea and China are the only two economically successful countries that consume dog meat," Kim said during an interview with local newspaper Seoul Shinmun that was published on Monday. "I believe the universal culture (of not consuming dog meat) should be shared in Korea with other developed countries. Otherwise, it could stoke an anti-Korean sentiment," Kim said.

To end the practice, Kim said the government could support dog meat traders to transition into new industries, underlining the unsanitary environment in which dogs are raised before being consumed as meat.

"Dog meat is not good for health. Dogs that are raised to be consumed as meat are locked in small cages, where they eat, sleep and defecate all their lives. And some of them are even fed antibiotics," Kim said. "Ultimately, dog meat consumption must be stopped out of respect for man's best friend and life."

Yoon and Kim live together with seven companion animals ― four dogs and three cats. Five of those animals had been adopted from rescue shelters. Kim said she has volunteered to rescue or assist the adoptions of over 100 abandoned animals.

She also highlighted the need for strengthening punishment against animal abuse.

"Among developed nations, Korea has the weakest regulations on animal abuse," Kim said. "Over 15 million Koreans are pet parents now, and I believe strengthening punishment on animal abusers will help our society become more mature," Kim said.

According to the Animal Protection Act, those who abuse animals are subject to a maximum three-year jail term or fines of 30 million won. This is strong for international standards, but the maximum punishments have never been handed down.

Also, Kim said companion animals were a major ice breaker between Yoon and U.S. President Joseph Biden during their first Korea-U.S. summit on May 21. Major, Biden's canine companion, is also a rescue dog.

"Pet parents who live with animals that were once abandoned can have connections in many ways. The U.S. president is the most powerful man in the world, but a human-to-human bond could work things out. I heard that President Biden felt an affinity with Yoon. So I believe in terms of national interest, it was a successful summit," Kim said.

Kim said she hopes her husband's administration achieves progress in stopping animal abuse and abandonment and dog meat consumption. "I believe by respecting animals we can respect those who are most vulnerable in our society," Kim said. "So my priority is to raise awareness about animal rights. I believe that could solve many social problems."

Kim's media interview was published amid a largely negative public opinion about her taking up the role of first lady.

A recent survey on public attitudes toward the first lady showed that over half of the respondents think Kim should keep a low profile and support her husband without taking any official role in his administration.

According to the survey conducted by local pollster Next Research upon request from the broadcaster SBS, Saturday, 60.6 percent of 1,010 respondents said Kim should concentrate on assisting Yoon as a spouse, while 31.1 percent answered she could take an official role as first lady.

Regarding the rare media interview, an official from the presidential office said Kim seems to have accepted the interview request to establish her role in areas not covered by the president.

"There will be various activities the first lady can be involved in. My guess is that she had the interview (and talked mostly about animal rights) because that's the area she thinks she can do well in but is rarely addressed by her husband, so she can help him better focus on state affairs," the official told reporters.

Meanwhile, the presidential office said Kim would pay her respects to the late President Roh Moo-hyun at his gravesite and meet with his widow Kwon Yang-sook at Bongwha Village in North Gyeongsang Province, Monday. It is Kim's first officially scheduled event since her husband's inauguration over a month ago.