• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rubbish

jw5

Loyal
What To Dabao From Old Airport Road Food Centre

1654881469885.png

1654881477470.png

Dong Ji Fried Kway Teow
Old Airport Road Food Centre #01-138, Old Airport Road, Singapore 390001
Opening Hours: 10am – 2pm (Mon – Sun)

While Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow at Old Airport Road Food Centre had the better luck with the Michelin Bib Gourmand award, there are fans who think that Dong Ji Fried Kway Teow is the better stall.

The stall is nearer to the back of the food centre, and sometimes close slightly before 2pm.

Note: This is a one-man show, so even if the queue may look relatively short, be prepared to wait for your food.

The hawker single-handedly prepares generous servings of Fried Kway Teow with egg ($3, $4) upon order with fresh ingredients, and yes wok-hei.

However, if you prefer the dark and sweet type, then you would realise this is quite different. There is not much dark sauce used, with strong garlicky and smokiness in its flavours.

jw5

Loyal

1654882044769.png

1654882052535.png

Nam Sing Hokkien Fried Mee
51 Old Airport Road, #01-32 Old Airport Road Food Centre, Singapore 390051
Tel: +65 64405340
Opening Hours: 10am – 5pm (Tues – Sun), Closed Mon

Of all the Hokkien Mee in Singapore, Nam Sing Hokkien Fried Mee probably has the most mixed reviews. Some enjoy its nostalgic taste; while others thought it used to be better (and service can be improved).

I actually didn’t get any bad service during my order. In fact, they even deliver the plate to your table. (Self service for tables 175 onwards).

Their Hokkien Mee is cooked to the dry side using thin vermicelli rather than the thick bee hoon style, with strong seafood flavours coming from the prawn and ikan billis stock. Of all the stock base, this came across as one of the sweetest.

Another thing to note is that eggs are fried till fluffy with separate pieces, rather than ‘clinging’ on to the noodles.

Also, they do not serve sambal chilli but instead with cut chillies. A decent plate with its own character, though I wished there was more wok-hei.

jw5

Loyal
1654884548033.png

1654884557501.png

Hin Fried Hor Fun
51 Old Airport Road, #01-163 Old Airport Road Food Centre, Singapore 390051
Tel: +65 9190 1044
Opening Hours: 10am – 3pm, 5pm – 8:30pm (Tues – Sun), Closed Mon

When Beef Hor Fun is mentioned, the first thing that comes to mind is the strong wok hei aroma and taste.

At Hin Fried Hor Fun, you get the silky smooth pieces of hor fun filled with delicious and mouth-watering mildly-charred taste.

The stall serves up various combinations of Hor Fun or Mui Fan with beef, prawns, fish, and its permutations (eg beef with fish, beef with prawns). Priced at $5 or $6.

The hor fun when served, looked rather pale, but do not let that deceive you. It was actually quite tasty with slight smokiness.

The beef slices were also tender, though the gravy was slightly on the saltier side.

Note: Stall may close before stated hours.

jw5

Loyal

1654956017734.png

1654956028207.png

Wang Wang Crispy Curry Puff
51 Old Airport Road, #01-126 Old Airport Road Food Centre, Singapore 390051
Opening Hours: 10:30am – 11pm or sold out (Tues – Sun), Closed Mon

The bite-sized Curry Puffs sold here may remind you of those offered by A1, with its flaky skin.

The under-stated Curry Puff stall serves up Crispy Curry Puff ($1.40), Crispy Sardine Puff ($1.40), Crispy Black Pepper Puff ($1.60), and Crispy Yam Paste ($1.40).

Puffs are hand-made and deep-fried on site in small batches. So if certain fillings get sold out, you got to wait for them.

What was very appealing were its crispy and buttery skin with that alluring aroma. Interestingly, while the outer layer was dry, the inside remained rather moist, even to the point of saucy.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

View attachment 148073

View attachment 148074

Xin Mei Xiang Zheng Zong Lor Mee 新美香卤面
51 Old Airport Road, #01-116 Old Airport Road Food Centre, Singapore 390051
Opening Hours: 6am – 2pm (Fri – Wed), Closed Thurs

Xin Mei Xiang Lor Mee attracts queues of diners eager to taste and re-taste their famed Lor Mee.

Aside from the recognition it received from the Michelin Guide (it has a Michelin Plate), another feather in its cap is the Ctrip Gourmet List award. It was also awarded as People’s Choice for Local Food during the City Hawker Food Hunt in 2018.

The sauce, a key element in a good Lor Mee, was quite unlike any others I had before – thick and flavourful as it was prepared with five-spice and other seasonings.

The balance of being vinegary and spicy was done just right.

If you like the pan-fried fish (red snapper) in your Lor Mee, go for the bigger bowls.

Ah yes, there is another similar-sounding Xiang Ji Lor Mee (#01-81) in the same food centre, if you happen to crave and Xin Mei Xiang is closed. Xin Mei Xiang Lor Mee (Old Airport Road Food Centre)
This one at old airport is closed, for renovation it said, when I was there last week. So it will be quite some time to open. 2 more stalls, one at Balestier and one I think at Tampines.

Reactions: jw5

jw5

Loyal
This one at old airport is closed, for renovation it said, when I was there last week. So it will be quite some time to open. 2 more stalls, one at Balestier and one I think at Tampines.

Thanks for the update. :thumbsup: