• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Rachel Wan - Sinkie Hospital Staff Overworked/Understaff, Father Died Alone in Ward

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rachel Wan opens up on father's final moments, discovering 'his cold, dead body alone in the ward'​

The local actress opened up about the emotional toll of not being able to be by her father's side when he died in a Singapore hospital​

• Health & Wellness

Bryan Lim
Bryan Lim
·Contributor
Updated Fri, 25 August 2023 at 9:54 am GMT+1

In this article:

• Health & Wellness

Health & Wellness

Actress Rachel Wan didn’t know her dad died because the hospital was “understaffed”. (PHOTO: Instagram/iamrachelwan)

Actress Rachel Wan didn’t know her dad died because the hospital was “understaffed”. (PHOTO: Instagram/iamrachelwan)
It’s hard enough to prepare for the loss of a loved one but imagine not being able to be by their side at the end.
That’s what local actress Rachel Wan experienced with her father, whom she lost last year due to cancer.
Wan, 27, is now living in Sydney with beau Edwin Goh and the couple previously cited work-life balance as one of the reasons they made the move.

In a tearful video uploaded to Instagram on Friday (25 Aug), Wan opened up about missing out on her father’s final moments due to the hospital being understaffed.
The Kin actress started the video by sharing how she met this nurse who used to work in Singapore and coincidentally, worked in the same hospital where her father died.
According to this nurse, the workload is better in Australia because a nurse has a limit of six patients, compared to Singapore where they can handle up to 12 patients.
Wan said, “The stories she shared with me about the differences between the work life in Singapore and the work life in Australia blew my mind.
“And in Australia, they have a turnover rate where staff are meant to rest for a certain amount of hours before they’re allowed to be scheduled for the next shift. Apparently in Singapore, such a thing doesn’t really exist.”

Discovered his 'cold, dead body alone in the ward'​

The revelation was very triggering for Wan because her dad died in the hospital all alone. She said that she “stood with him for over 12 hours” so he won’t have to be alone but “that was taken away from me”.
On the day her dad died, she recounted, he was transferred from the emergency ward to the general ward because the doctor didn’t consider him an emergent case anymore as he wasn’t going to make it through the day.
However, in order to visit the general ward, visitors had to clear a Covid test.
“So while we were trying to get the Covid test and do the kit and everything, my dad passed. He was all alone. No one even informed us. We had to go up to the ward and discover his cold, dead body alone in the ward with no staff around him,” she said as her voice broke.
Wan asked the doctor why no one called to inform that her dad passed and claimed that the doctor replied, “Oh sorry, because we were understaffed.”
She added, “I felt like it was important to share because I know that this is not the only industry in Singapore that suffers this. Overworking is not an achievement. Having no work-life balance is not an achievement.
“So I just felt like it was important to share because I feel like something about that has to change in Singapore.”

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to this nurse, the workload is better in Australia because a nurse has a limit of six patients, compared to Singapore where they can handle up to 12 patients.
Wan said, “The stories she shared with me about the differences between the work life in Singapore and the work life in Australia blew my mind.

This is what happens when you have proper labour unions instead of 'tripartite' grifters pretending to look out for your best interests. :cool:

SwumXol.png

These people are a disease. They are the enemies of this nation. :whistling:

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
this will never happen to pap ministers mps or their related elites as they will be allowed to bypass all the procedures .
u get what u voted for.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies have been for too long, screwed, until now doesn't realise they're being screwed harder and harder.
You deserve it.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Labour unions in Sinkie land are all BS.... It's just for show n wayang only...!

The two biggest bullshit snake oil sold to daft Sinkies: tripartism (NTUC) and operational readiness (SAF).

It's hardly a wonder that the PAP loves to bolster its ranks with nincompoops from both organizations, and they tend to get the fastest path to the top appointments in their PAP careers. :wink:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This stoopid cow Rachel Wan need to be given one tight slap. Singapore hospitals are NOT understaffed. If Singapore hospitals build with singapore taxpayer money, were to provide health care to only singaporeans, no problem. There is no understaffing. But if the PAP want to open their legs like a Geylang whore and let in Foreigners equivalent to the entire native born population, then of course there is understaffing because these hospitals also have to take care of the foreigners. Rachel Wan needs to give herself a tight slap for voting PAP.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know the actual root cause of this kind of problem as I kana before :notworthy:
It is not about the understaffed.
In fact, ward nurses are VERY on the ball to handle and do clearance for patients who passed away in the ward.

Main culprit lies in the administration of the clearance for visits I.e it involves the doctors and the computer systems and the staff mending the visitors counter , and the staff mending the hospital main line.

Especially during covid lockdown period, the above paragraph can be worsened .

During covid lockdown time, When a doctor deem a patient is critically ill, the number of visitors allowed at 1x will be up from usual of 1 pax to be 5pax . The problem of visiting a critically ill loved ones will come when the doctor fails to update the system Immediately upon diagnosis of critically ill.
When you attempt to call the hospital main line in anticipation of the problem of not being able to enter the ward when you reach, they will give you all sorts of answers without solving your problem. In my case, sadly the service agent even told me when doctor didn't update the system, it means your loved ones is not critically ill :notworthy:
Nevermind since you already otw to the hospital knowing yr loved ones doesnt have much time left.
Once you reached the visitors counter, you have to subject to the questioning from the old farts customer service. By the time clearance given, you say what happened next?
:inlove:
Seriously These old fart workers is better to stay at home than giving trouble to people.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I know the actual root cause of this kind of problem as I kana before :notworthy:
It is not about the understaffed.
In fact, ward nurses are VERY on the ball to handle and do clearance for patients who passed away in the ward.

Main culprit lies in the administration of the clearance for visits I.e it involves the doctors and the computer systems and the staff mending the visitors counter , and the staff mending the hospital main line.

Especially during covid lockdown period, the above paragraph can be worsened .

During covid lockdown time, When a doctor deem a patient is critically ill, the number of visitors allowed at 1x will be up from usual of 1 pax to be 5pax . The problem of visiting a critically ill loved ones will come when the doctor fails to update the system Immediately upon diagnosis of critically ill.
When you attempt to call the hospital main line in anticipation of the problem of not being able to enter the ward when you reach, they will give you all sorts of answers without solving your problem. In my case, sadly the service agent even told me when doctor didn't update the system, it means your loved ones is not critically ill :notworthy:
Nevermind since you already otw to the hospital knowing yr loved ones doesnt have much time left.
Once you reached the visitors counter, you have to subject to the questioning from the old farts customer service. By the time clearance given, you say what happened next?
:inlove:
Seriously These old fart workers is better to stay at home than giving trouble to people.

If Rachel wasn't so stingy with the hospital bill, her father would have received premium care and would at least died in the arms of a pretty nurse instead.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Own self no visit father now blame hospital under staff? Must line up 10 nurse eye power her father die then not under staff? We live in very strange world in deed. :cautious:

orh mee suah

Alfrescian
Loyal
The hospice is the place to go.
Therapy cats or dogs are known to provide comfort and company to patients with terminal illnesses.