• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat [Question] Can I ditch my Home Wifi and Opt for Mobile Phone Unlimited Data and use as a Hotspot?

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Is it feasible?

What's the point of having a duplicate home wifi when mobile phone unlimited data is all it takes to do the job and more stable and faster at 4G or 5G speed?

Just use my mobile phone (or a spare mobile phone with a second Sim card) and get rid of all the routers and modem.

Any IT expert can share the pros and cons of doing so?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there's a limit to mobile hotspots in gigabyte use although the plan may sell you "unlimited data" for phone use (not hotspot use). "unlimited data" will reach a threshold where telcos will throttle your speed. moreover, video streaming is better off with home wi-fi as it's faster and more reliable in a fix location. video streaming with mobiles and tethering to mobile hotspots is subject to time of use and busy hour attempts as mobile service gateways can be heavily oversubscribed at certain time of day, e.g. just before lunch and between 5pm and 6.9pm where sinkies contact kakis for makan. this is because every service gateway is not designed for massive simultaneous active session events, i.e. every sinkie, ah neh, ah tiong, pinoy, bangla checking faecesbook and messaging apps to look for luncheon meat and seaweed at the same time. they need distributed sgw and home gateway capacities all over the island with adequate capacity at each location to handle all the mobile traffic in such an event, usually during new year's eve or when a madam sun ho totally strips naked and dances to changi wine for all to see. at least with home wifi, you're not sharing radio and network resources with millions of sinkies watching k-drama or manchu concubine drama while commuting. sometimes with mobile updates and downloads you are required to be on high speed wifi.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
there's a limit to mobile hotspots in gigabyte use although the plan may sell you "unlimited data" for phone use (not hotspot use). "unlimited data" will reach a threshold where telcos will throttle your speed. moreover, video streaming is better off with home wi-fi as it's faster and more reliable in a fix location. video streaming with mobiles and tethering to mobile hotspots is subject to time of use and busy hour attempts as mobile service gateways can be heavily oversubscribed at certain time of day, e.g. just before lunch and between 5pm and 6.9pm where sinkies contact kakis for makan. this is because every service gateway is not designed for massive simultaneous active session events, i.e. every sinkie, ah neh, ah tiong, pinoy, bangla checking faecesbook and messaging apps to look for luncheon meat and seaweed at the same time. they need distributed sgw and home gateway capacities all over the island with adequate capacity at each location to handle all the mobile traffic in such an event, usually during new year's eve or when a madam sun ho totally strips naked and dances to changi wine for all to see. at least with home wifi, you're not sharing radio and network resources with millions of sinkies watching k-drama or manchu concubine drama while commuting. sometimes with mobile updates and downloads you are required to be on high speed wifi.
Thanks for your swift response. :smile:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Is it feasible?

What's the point of having a duplicate home wifi when mobile phone unlimited data is all it takes to do the job and more stable and faster at 4G or 5G speed?

Just use my mobile phone (or a spare mobile phone with a second Sim card) and get rid of all the routers and modem.

Any IT expert can share the pros and cons of doing so?

I don't know what the terms and conditions are in SG but in NZ all the unlimited mobile plans forbid tethering and hotspots

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/pay-monthly/unlimited-mobile/

Get Unlimited
You’re free to do almost anything with Unlimited Mobile. Enjoy limitless streams, snaps, swipes and shares.

Unlimited data, talk and TXT for $79.99 per month
Max speeds reduced after 22GB. No sharing, tethering or hotspots. Standard NZ and Oz numbers.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am still wondering how portable WiFi works. I have an apartment which I seldom stay, so it's not worthwhile to install a permanent WiFi. But when I'm there I need WiFi to connect with my Smart TV. I scanned the surrounding, nabeh no SG Wireless.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I am still wondering how portable WiFi works. I have an apartment which I seldom stay, so it's not worthwhile to install a permanent WiFi. But when I'm there I need WiFi to connect with my Smart TV. I scanned the surrounding, nabeh no SG Wireless.
Boss say T and Cs doesn't allow hotspot for home TV to connect, so most likely cannot lah..Gotta install home wifi. Waste resources and space...

Last edited: