• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Punggol East By-Election Later News Update

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lee Li Lian 李丽连

Public Figure

Grateful to be invited back as special guest last evening in ‪#‎punggoleast‬. It has been so long since I last seen my name in traditional Chinese characters smile emoticon
我的名字,李丽连,是父母给的。“连”,是李连杰的”连”。没关系,我知道很多人都以为是”莲” smile emoticon - Blk 188A Rivervale Drive
Grateful to be invited back as special guest last evening in ‪#‎punggoleast‬. It has been so long since I last seen my name in traditional Chinese characters smile emoticon

My name, Lee Lai Lin, is my parents gave me." Can't even ", Jet Li is the "company". It's okay, I know a lot of people think is "Lotus" :smile:-BLK 188 a rivervale drive
Automatically Translated

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lee Li Lian 李丽连

Public Figure

Celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival with us, join us for games, riddles and mooncakes, and light up Punggol East with the traditional lantern procession!

Highlights:
Mooncakes, games, lantern parade. The 1st 100 kids will each receive a paper lantern (typo in the attached poster) and a sculptured balloon.

诚意邀请大家到榜鹅东与我们共度欢乐的中秋夜晚。
我们准备了月饼,游戏,灯笼游行。首100名到场的小朋友可以获得纸制灯笼和气球雕塑。

See Translation

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
More photos showing bulky and miscellaneous litter left uncleared around the
Punggol East SMC estate have been sent in by readers after our earlier report today.

8d19c6b808be2f6fc26a4560c5a61eda.jpg

Unlike WP's Pritam Singh who personally checked on Aljunied estate after a fabricated report by a PAP Facebook page, the PAP MP of Punggol East SMC Charles Chong has remained silent.

Perhaps Charles Chong is busy talking to residents at his MPS which he commenced in Aug 2015, even before the GE in September.

After winning the ward by a slim margin last year, Charles Chong had falsely accused WP of diverting funds from Punggol East SMC to help Aljunied and Hougang.

He was reported to have said:

"So now we are not quite sure whether it is the money used here has been diverted somewhere, to help out maybe in Hougang or in Aljunied.
But I think the first thing is to make sure that, if we are in charge of this area, to make sure that the town council accounts are in order,
so that we can do the work that we need to do, perhaps also get the Government to restore its grants."

Charles Chong had conveniently forgotten that when WP took over the town council in 2013, there was a deficit of $282,009.

Now that he is the MP, he should be flushed with funds from PAP-controlled HDB.

So why is the cleaning regime there so tardy?

https://www.facebook.com/3587593275...759327518739/1029229283805070/?type=3&theater

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks, Lilian; shame on you, PAP

Photo: New Paper

Reading news reports of what transpired in Parliament the last few days has been disappointing, to say the least. And particularly so is the People’s Action Party (PAP)’s politicking over the decision by Workers’ Party candidate, Lee Lilian, not to take up the Non-constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) seat.

PAP MPs such as Lee Bee Wah, Edwin Tong and Charles Chong, along with minister Chan Chun Sing, all cast aspersions of various kinds on the WP and Ms Lee.
I do not think it is worth repeating them here. Suffice it to say that the attacks (even if they are veiled ones) reflect badly on the perpetrators.

Here they are, casting aspersions on a lady who had stepped forward to serve her community, and had and continues to do so for 10 years now, including her two years in the highest lawmaking body in the country.

These PAP MPs questioned her sense of service, nonetheless. And cast doubts on the motive behind her declining the NCMP seat.

Mr Chan calls it “political maneuvering” on the part of the WP, even though Ms Lee herself had explained in some details her decision not to accept the seat, and she did so almost immediately after her defeat in the Punggol East elections in September last year.

Lilian’s first foray into politics was in May 2006, when she volunteered with the WP during that general election. The next month (June) she joined as member. She then rose quite quickly through the party ranks, being voted into the central executive council two years later in 2008.Her contribution to the community and thus to our nation is without doubt.

The WP website explains:
“[She] was elected into the Youth Wing Executive Committee and became the Youth Wing Organising Secretary. In 2008, she was elected into the party’s CEC and was appointed the Deputy Treasurer of the Workers’ Party.

“After GE2011, Li Lian became the Legislative Assistant to MP Pritam Singh in the Eunos division of Aljunied GRC. She was responsible for the recruitment of volunteers and the organisation of grassroots events for Eunos division. Li Lian also worked with the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council to address the concerns of the residents. In the same year, she also became the President of the Workers’ Party Youth Wing.

“Li Lian stood as the party’s candidate in the Punggol East SMC in the 2011 General Elections and again in the by-election of 2013 when she was elected as the Member of Parliament for Punggol East SMC.”

As any volunteer would know, it takes a lot of work and commitment to dedicate oneself to such work, and especially so in opposition politics in Singapore.

That someone like Lilian, a young mother, would find time to serve her fellow men and women is something we should appreciate and be thankful for.

For how many would do what Lilian and her compatriots in opposition parties do?

This is why I find it very sad to see PAP MPs, many of whom have gotten into Parliament with hardly breaking a sweat because of the uneven ground tilted in their favour, speaking as if they had gone through fire and brimstone to get where they currently are.

Mr Chan himself, for example, rode on the coattails of former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew in Tanjong Pagar in 2011 to get into Parliament.

Lilian had to fight on her own – without the illustrious reputation of a senior minister to hang on to – in a single-seat ward, first to a defeat, then to a victory, and then to a defeat again.

I think Lilian has given much of herself to Singapore.

She has earned the right to decide if she wants to continue, and in what capacity she would prefer to do so.

I have no doubt that she will continue to serve her community at the grassroots level, even as she respects the rights of Punggol East residents not to have her in Parliament as a fully elected MP.

And in rejecting the NCMP seat, partly because of this decision by residents, I respect Lilian’s principled stand.

Photo: Asiaone

Let us not lose sight of the woods for the trees – let us appreciate those who have stepped forward to serve, no matter how short their stint, be they from the PAP or the opposition.

Making ridicule of their time and effort – and the blood, sweat and tears – which they have given to serve us is below the belt, and unbecoming of MPs elected to Parliament.

It is especially disappointing that a minister like Mr Chan would resort to such cheap politicking, introducing an amendment to the motion to have the vacated NCMP seat filled. An amendment which took pot shots at Ms Lee and the WP over what is in fact a straightforward matter.

If you question her dedication, shouldn’t you also then question those of PAP candidates like Desmond Choo who abandoned his voters in Hougang for those in Tampines? Or Koh Poh Koon who similarly abandoned his supporters in Punggol East for those in Ang Mo Kio?

Yes, it would be nonsensical to do so.

Lilian should stand proud of what she has given to Singapore the last 10 years.

And we all appreciate it very much indeed.

Don’t let shallow politicking bury the fact that a young lady had stood up and done much for us, even when she knew full well that the road ahead would be a bumpy one.

https://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2016/01/30/thanks-lilian-shame-on-you-pap/

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=5][URL="https://www.facebook.com/leelilian.sg/?fref=nf"]Lee Li Lian 李丽连[/h]
The Motion to vacate my seat as NCMP under section 52 of the Parliamentary Elections Act and resolves that the seat be filled in accordance with sections 52(2) and 52(3B)(a) of the Act was passed in Parliament yesterday with amendments by the PAP which were both unfair to the party and an attack on me personally.

I was quite surprised by these amendments, which accuse me of acting in contrary to the views of the voters, and that this was a political manouevre. To clarify, I did not contest the General Elections to be an NCMP, but an elected member of the house with the full responsibilities involved in representing my constituents.

Having lost my MP seat to Mr Charles Chong, I stepped aside in line with what the voters had expressed. Mr Chong suggested in Parliament that I should have respected the ‘decision of the minority’ who voted for me, by taking up the NCMP seat. The NCMP scheme was not put in place by the voters, but the Government.

The people have no direct hand in electing me to the NCMP seat. Voters who voted for me were seeking for me to be their elected MP, and unfortunately this was not the outcome at the polls.

To be truly responsible to voters, I would need to be able to represent them both in Parliament and on the ground. As an NCMP I am unable to do that. Just recently as an NCMP-elect, I tried to apply to the PAP-managed Town Council to hold a charity food distribution event in Punggol East on 30th January 2016 today.

This was rejected by the TC because they do not approve applications made by Political Parties. It is rather ironic given that when I was MP of Punggol East, I never rejected any applications from PAP-affiliates to hold events at areas managed by the WP Town Council. During my term as an MP, I was never successful in my applications to hold events at areas managed by the HDB like Rivervale Plaza. As an MP there were many challenges on the ground working with PAP-affiliates to hold events in my own constituency, even if they benefited the residents. What more as an NCMP where I would not be able to support even the people who voted for me on the ground?

The NCMP scheme is beneficial for aspiring MPs to show the people what they can do in terms of speaking up for them in the house, and I am glad that Parliament did allow the seat to be filled by one such individual. I wish members of the House all the best. I will continue my outreach and grassroots activities and my mission to make a difference to the lives of people in my own way. I am thankful for the support of those around me in doing so.

I rest my case on this whole issue. Much has been said.

Thank you!

12592444_946649135423594_4615311264887182425_n.jpg

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
426081_489916397733187_1020890347_n.jpg
[h=5]Punggol East SMC added 27 new photos to the album: 16-01-30: PECC CNY Goodie Bags Distribution — at Blk 182 Rivervale Cresscent.[/h]26 mins ·

We were thankful for the great weather today. Like previous years, we conducted CNY goodie bags distribution at Blk 182. What is different this year was that we were not able to do it at the void deck because our application for a permit to use this space for a charity food distribution was rejected. Hence, we have to do it from the lorry.

We would like to express our most sincere appreciation to our sponsors and volunteers.

We will strive to continue our outreach and grassroots activities in Punggol East in our own ways.

12670168_1057724660952355_3102815009084355461_n.jpg

12661833_1057724727619015_7522214606045665415_n.jpg

12592347_1057724644285690_4541042990124455268_n.jpg

12631506_1057724830952338_3511249745492289330_n.jpg

12645115_1057725004285654_2902101850001229159_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
10407794_863900030298978_9149271958594876328_n.jpg
[h=5]Pritam Singh shared WP Grassroots Committee's photo.[/h]28 mins ·

Lee Li Lian 李丽连 earlier this morning at a food distribution for needy residents. No Pasir-Ris Punggol TC approval to use community spaces for the event. This picture reminded me of a Hougang resident's comments when transport routes to Hougang were cut after residents voted Mr Low Thia Khiang into parliament.

"Never mind – if we have no train, we will take bus! If we have no bus, we can walk!"

WP Grassroots Committee

5 hrs ·
Thank you.

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well Done! Sengkang.

Workers' Party Hard Work for their Residents and Singaporeans shall be rewarded.

Keep up the Good Work! Workers' Party and Ms Lee LiLian!

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
426081_489916397733187_1020890347_n.jpg

[h=5]Punggol East SMC added 57 new photos to the album: 2016-01-31:CNY Shopping Trip.[/h]February 4 at 8:53pm ·

Residents of Punggol East joined us for a Pre-Chinese New Year shopping tour in Johor, Malaysia on 31st Jan 2016. The publicity for this event was done through word of mouth and social media. We were very heartened by the support smile emoticon

Hoping to stock up on goodies for the New Year, we visited a variety of shops - from those selling signature biscuits to those displaying pretty unique foods like tomato flavoured seaweed that's sure to pique the interest (and tastebuds) of family and friends who come to visit over the New Year.

We got to visit a Taoist temple with Malaysia's tallest statue of Ji Gong, measuring at 68 metres too. Residents joked that we were en route to Taiwan as we reached a huge brand new Taiwan City warehouse store that boasts a great variety of preserved and freshly made treats. We ended the day with an appetising dinner but not before a rousing toss for prosperity with yusheng. What a great way to get into the CNY mood just one week before the festivities!

Reported by: Yudhishthra Nathan
Photo credit: Thomas Fung

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Punggol East SMC

Makan Makan, here we come!

Dear residents, in our next trip to Malaysia, apart from makan makan, we will also visit Bekok for the first time. Please see [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ilovebekok/"]I Love Bekok 我爱彼咯
. Bekok is a town located at the eastern side of Segamat district, Johor. This place is well-known among nature lovers. Nature holds the key to our intellectual, cognitive and even spiritual satisfaction. We look forward to see you on 24th April 2016!

Ticket sales will take place every Monday, except public holiday, from 8 - 9.30pm at Blk 135 Rivervale Street.

12841444_1078978368826984_86263170760087890_o.png

[/URL]