• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Presidential hopeful Tan Jee Say: I'm not a 'yes man'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Jee Say: "I'm not a yes man"

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
To: ALL <NOBR></NOBR>(1 of 1)

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Presidential hopeful Tan Jee Say: I'm not a 'yes man' Can a non-PAP man become president in Singapore? By Elaine Ee 16 August, 2011
RS.DSC_0915.jpg

Tan Jee Say: A man with a presidential plan. Singaporeans take to the polls August 27 to vote for their president for the next six years. Like the recent watershed General Elections, which saw all but one constituency contested for the first time since 1965, this presidential election will also see an unprecedented battle. A fresh face emerges Another first is the emergence of Tan Jee Say, a unique candidate because he has no links or ties to the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP). The current president, the very experienced and illustrious former civil servant S.R. Nathan, and previous elected president, former member of parliament (MP), cabinet minister and deputy prime minister Ong Teng Cheong, were both endorsed by the PAP. Nathan never faced an opponent and Ong’s sole competitor was a former accountant general who didn’t seem very keen on winning. Ong’s outspokenness during his tenure as president, however was a move that immediately put him at odds with the PAP. All this has led to the criticism that the president’s role to check and balance the government is compromised. Tan Jee Say, a former civil servant who worked in the Ministry of Trade and Industry and served as principal private secretary to then deputy prime minister Goh Chok Tong. He then joined the finance industry where he was CEO of Govett Asset Management’s Asia-Pacific operations. This position led him through the door of the PEC and into the presidential campaign. He was also part of the opposition’s Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) in the last General Elections. The party captivated voters with their fiery rhetoric and ideas for a better, more equitable Singapore. Who’s in the running? Of the other three candidates (all also Tans, coincidentally), current frontrunner Tony Tan is an old party guard, a senior member of the People’s Action Party until June this year, and who has held various ministerial posts including that of deputy prime minister from 1995 to 2005. While the two remaining candidates are also, like Jee Say, keen to assert their independence from the ruling party, neither of them have the disconnection that Jee Say does. Dr Tan Cheng Bok was an MP for many years, from 1980 to 2006; and Tan Kin Lian was CEO of NTUC Income for almost three decades, the insurance arm of the largely government-friendly National Trade Union Congress. Can he bring change? In a one-party dominated nation state, Jee Say’s candidacy for the presidency is a significant breakthrough. “I’m the only non-PAP candidate,” says Jee Say. “I have no emotional ties to the PAP. And that is good for the mission of the PAP.” “The president, who is the chief of the government, is there to check and balance the government and I can play that role.” The role itself is a subject of hot debate right now. Opinions differ on how much freedom the constitution bestows on the president to speak independently and the degree to which it obliges him to take the advice of cabinet. By being willing to take a stand, Jee Say has made his interpretation of the role clear. “I am going to speak up,” he says. “The president will not be doing his duty if he doesn’t speak whenever the government crosses the line.” “It is not the role of the president to make life easy or cozy for the government, but to be a check and balance for them.” Calling for a new presidency Jee Say has already spoken up on many issues: Singapore’s mandatory death penalty, over-dependence on foreign workers, and the controversial Intergrated Resorts. He has also discussed extensively how he feels the country’s economy needs to be reshaped. “I think it is wrong to say that the president cannot raise issues,” says Jee Say. “To unite the nation, he must know what is fundamentally causing our current divisions in society, and in my view it is the government’s economic strategy.” “We depend on foreign workers that are depressing the salaries and earnings of people and take away their jobs. How can the president unite the country if he doesn’t address these issues? By just kissing babies and shaking hands? No way.” But will this fire in his belly help him or harm him? Will the people view him, especially in the light of his recent membership of the SDP, as too much of an opposing force to be head of state? “I will articulate views for the people,” says Jee Say. “And we should not look at things as only PAP against opposition. The people have elected a PAP government and now they should focus their minds on the role of the president, which is to check on that government. Who can better perform this role than a non-PAP person? The government doesn’t expect me to a yes man and I don’t intend to be one.” “A recent comment (by Singapore’s Law Minister) said that the president must have the respect of the prime minister,” says Jee Say. “Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Shouldn’t the prime minister respect the choice of the people who elected the president?” Will Jee Say be the people’s choice? In a few weeks, we will find out.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Options Reply

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - TT Admits He Will Be A Rubber Stamp Prez

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
To: ALL <NOBR></NOBR>(1 of 5)

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Cannonball Polisher Asslicker TT sucks up to Bapok Pinky AsLoong.. confirms he will be a Rubber Stamp President...
Vote For Tan Jee Say.

phpD9ybH7.jpg
Photos 1 of 1

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
dotline_240.gif

Dr Tony Tan (photo: channelnewsasia.com, Hester Tan)

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
<!-- for social media sharing functions -->
<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN -->

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
<!-- END social media sharing functions -->SINGAPORE: Presidential candidate and former Deputy Prime Minister, Tony Tan said he fears some candidates contesting the Presidential election are writing cheques that even the President cannot cash.

He made this point on his website created for the Presidential polls, in response to several points made by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at Sunday's National Day Rally.

Dr Tan said one point he found particularly interesting in Mr Lee's address was whether Singapore will remain pragmatic in its policy-making or if it will turn populist. He said as Singapore's political system continues to evolve, this is a question that will be debated further.

Dr Tan also expressed concerns that some politicians may feel compelled to appeal to popular demand for the sake of electoral gain.

This temptation, said Dr Tan, is affecting the Presidential Election with some candidates appealing to the public in ways that could go beyond the parameters of Singapore's Constitution.

He said: "On the other hand, we must remember that pragmatism and the needs of the population are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they must reinforce each other. Even pragmatism requires some measure of its success. That success must be defined as the dreams of Singaporeans - and their ability to achieve them."

Dr Tan also added that it was no surprise that Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong had sought to emphasise the government's policies that benefit Singaporeans in areas such as education, housing, and social safety nets.

Describing Mr Lee's speech as a solid one at a difficult time, Dr Tan felt that while the Prime Minister outlined things that the government can do, he also challenged Singaporeans to make Singapore an exceptional country.

He said Mr Lee also looked beyond the domestic concerns and spent some time on the global economic climate.

And he is pleased that Mr Lee discussed what this meant for Singaporeans in their daily lives, as well as paying particular attention to the social safety nets needed for those who cannot keep up or who have fallen on hard times.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Options Reply

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

huahero

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree he is not a 'Yes Man', he was once a dog Principle Private Secretary under Woodie Goh.

狗改不了吃屎!

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
PPS is a civil service appointment. Btw, it should be Principal Private Secretary.

A dog without principles is a Principle Private Secretary. All the PAP doggies qualify.