• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP - Measures give Singaporeans edge over PRs

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Measures give Singaporeans edge over PRs
By Yen Feng

FOREIGN-BORN workers - can't live with them, can't live without them.

If there was one issue this year that tested the patience of Singaporeans as well as the Government's ability to balance social and economic policy, this was it.

Some wondered why the Government could not just say 'no'. Discontent among Singaporeans has been growing - along with the proportion of non-citizens here - for years.

In 1990, foreign-born permanent residents (PRs) made up one in 23 citizens.

Last year, the ratio was one in six.

Singaporeans felt marginalised. Not getting a seat on the MRT was one thing, but when home prices and jobs spun out of reach, the rhetoric got serious. In the media and through dialogues with grassroots leaders, the people's voice was heard: We deserve more.

The demand was answered in September last year, when Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said the way citizens and PRs were treated would be tweaked 'to reflect the responsibilities and privileges of citizens'.

A string of measures followed this year: In January, the gap for health subsidies between PRs and citizens was widened. In March, PRs were told they would have to pay more for tertiary education.The changes went beyond cost of living.

New mothers got to stay home longer, NS men got a bonus payout, and quotas were introduced to limit the number of PR households in HDB estates. In September, the Government said it would give out fewer permanent residencies and citizenships this year.

A month later, the rules were tightened for investors seeking to become residents through investment assets.

At the National Day Rally, PM Lee said while concerns were legitimate, he could not close the door to foreigners. Singapore needs the talent, and man-hours.

Mr Etoro Udonwa, 34, is a Nigerian IT executive married to a Singaporean. His application to become a citizen was rejected but he will apply again. 'This is my home. This is where I want my family, my children to live.'

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Yen Feng

If there was one issue this year that tested the patience of Singaporeans as well as the Government's ability to balance social and economic policy, this was it.

Some wondered why the Government could not just say 'no'. Discontent among Singaporeans has been growing - along with the proportion of non-citizens here - for years.

Singaporeans felt marginalised. Not getting a seat on the MRT was one thing, but when home prices and jobs spun out of reach, the rhetoric got serious. In the media and through dialogues with grassroots leaders, the people's voice was heard: We deserve more.

The demand was answered in September last year, when Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said the way citizens and PRs were treated would be tweaked 'to reflect the responsibilities and privileges of citizens'.

A string of measures followed this year: In January, the gap for health subsidies between PRs and citizens was widened. In March, PRs were told they would have to pay more for tertiary education.The changes went beyond cost of living.

New mothers got to stay home longer, NS men got a bonus payout, and quotas were introduced to limit the number of PR households in HDB estates. In September, the Government said it would give out fewer permanent residencies and citizenships this year.

A month later, the rules were tightened for investors seeking to become residents through investment assets.

At the National Day Rally, PM Lee said while concerns were legitimate, he could not close the door to foreigners. Singapore needs the talent, and man-hours.

Mr Etoro Udonwa, 34, is a Nigerian IT executive married to a Singaporean. His application to become a citizen was rejected but he will apply again. 'This is my home. This is where I want my family, my children to live.'

Of course he wants to stay, otherwise, he has to go back to a 3rd world country. I wonder which Singaporean married him....

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Yen Feng

Unfortunatly, what is done is just for show and its not enough tro reflect the difference.

PAP has the tendency to pay lip service with limited activities that would cost them little in terms of money but yet qrgue about the "big" in value. That "value" is and had not been felt by the majority of Singaporeans and the lack of appeasement could see them falling short in the coming GE.