• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Our China Bus Drivers....Change them...

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have decided to move the thread here. hoping we can get a petition to Josephine Yeo ( Member of Parliament, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Transport) to save lives...

One Forumer wrote.."I see an angry & frustrated customer & not an abusive passenger."

I see a dangerous bus driver..
Anytime,he may think he is back in China, his homeland where it is left-hand drive; and deja-vu..... he will make a left turn instead of right.

It happened. .A china bus driver run over a lady at Bukit Batok...

Josephine Yeo should look into this and tabled in parliament to save road-users lives.
We should be hiring only bus-drivers from Malaysia or countries that don't drive on the opposite side.

Another Forumer wrote.."Nah... the pappies will redesign the roads and switch to a left hand drive system. "

Let's get serious. .pappies will mute this with their controlled press..

We do not have investigative journalism here...Journalist only can write what is in line with Yakult instruction...write the right thing and read the right thing.

The only thing they will really stamp their feet down is when their own love ones go under the bus carriage, then they will take action..

Otherwise..it is the common peasants on the road taking the risk with these China Bus driver...

I am speaking from experience..I drove in the state of New York ( it is left-hand drive) when my son was studying there..Many times, I made a wrong turn...

And I knew at that instance, one cannot control the mind...the most important feature in car safety. No amount of research by the automobile
industry can correct and control the mind...

Luckily, it is in the suburbs and traffic was light.

I came back in one piece..

Let hope our Singaporeans don't end up as pulp under the bus carriage...

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anytime,he may think he is back in China, his homeland where it is left-hand drive; and deja-vu..... he will make a left turn instead of right.

First, make sure that all PRC (& other nationalities as well) drivers learn and speak decent ENGLISH.

Second, all foreign drivers must pass our Basic and Advanced Theory tests as well as undergo the requisite vocational training, regardless of their qualifications back home.

The left-hand drive argument is a lame excuse. All European (except UK) and North & South American nations plus China and South Korea use left-hand drive (i.e. drive on the right side of the road). I don't see these expats driving dangerously on the roads; rather, I find expat drivers – save for the occasional chow ang mo – much better drivers than our locals.

On other hand, I've seen Indian (right-hand drive) nationals with fake licences drive ignoring all traffic directions and driving extremely slowly out of fear and struggling to get into parking spaces. (One of them happened to be my wife's friend!)

Case in point: Singaporeans are notorious in Australia & NZ for being atrocious drivers who are the cause of most of the major self-drive accidents among tourists. You rarely hear of European or American drivers getting involved in such accidents Down Under, even though it's right-hand drive there.

Last edited:

belnibone

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Increase bus driver's pay slightly and then offer the job to the ang mohs. Tell them that this job offers opportunities for them to meet local women and see if the ang mohs rush for the job.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Increase bus driver's pay slightly and then offer the job to the ang mohs. Tell them that this job offers opportunities for them to meet local women and see if the ang mohs rush for the job.

If you have minimum wage for bus drivers pegged to living wages, I'm sure more locals will apply. I see many locals driving buses and subway trains in London and Paris. Yes, there are many strikes, but that's because workers and unions have a say in demanding decent wages.

belnibone

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you have minimum wage for bus drivers pegged to living wages, I'm sure more locals will apply. I see many locals driving buses and subway trains in London and Paris. Yes, there are many strikes, but that's because workers and unions have a say in demanding decent wages.

Unfortunately here in Singapore its not just wages but also status. Many do not want to go near these jobs because of the pai seh factor. Mindsets have to change in that the employer has got to offer decent salaries and the folks here have to view this as just like any other honest job to be done properly and with pride.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unfortunately here in Singapore its not just wages but also status. Many do not want to go near these jobs because of the pai seh factor. Mindsets have to change in that the employer has got to offer decent salaries and the folks here have to view this as just like any other honest job to be done properly and with pride.

Agree mindsets have to change.

But status/stigma is ultimately tied to pay. The reason why the service industry is looked down upon (unlike in Japan or America) is because of the historically low wages. So if we start to pay drivers and waitresses and security guards much more, with time these occupations will slowly gain respect and status. Then these workers will also start to take pride in their job, leading to higher and more professional service standards.

It takes time to change mindsets, but we have to start somewhere. Raising wages is a good place to start.

jw5

Loyal
Bytheway it's Teo and not Yeo, and she is possibly the last person you would want to petition for anything which makes the lives of ordinary citizens better. :rolleyes::biggrin:

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bytheway it's Teo and not Yeo, and she is possibly the last person you would want to petition for anything which makes the lives of ordinary citizens better. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Thank for pointing it out....

Hope she gets to read this and not await for some bad accident to happen , then react...

Romagnum

Alfrescian
Loyal
In ten years, no more drivers.

All buses and taxis will be operated driverless on the roads like the Google vehicles.

I would still need a Korean pussy though.