• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Online Buy Mooncake Scam - 27 Retards losing $325,000 in a month!

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yahoo News Singapore

Mooncake scam in Singapore swindles 27 victims, results in $325,000 losses in a month​

Fraudulent mooncake sales on social media platforms exploit unsuspecting victims, as police share safety measures​

Nisha Rahim
Nisha Rahim
·News and Lifestyle Producer
Updated Wed, 6 September 2023 at 6:17 am GMT+1

August brought a wave of mooncake scam victims, with at least 27 individuals losing a total of $325,000.

August brought a wave of mooncake scam victims, with at least 27 individuals losing a total of $325,000.(PHOTO: Singapore Police Force)
SINGAPORE — At least 27 victims have fallen prey to a recent scam involving mooncake sales on social media platforms, resulting in losses totalling around $325,000 since August, said the police on Tuesday (5 September).
The scam involved fraudulent mooncake sales on social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram, and the police provided details to help the public avoid falling victim to these schemes.

How victims fell for malicious links and lost thousands​

The scam victims reported contacting "sellers" advertising mooncakes on platforms like Facebook and Instagram.
Once they expressed interest and placed orders through social messaging platforms, they were redirected to WhatsApp to complete their payments.
However, the police have revealed that the links in the WhatsApp messages led victims to download an Android Package Kit (APK) file, an application designed for Android operating systems containing malware.
In other instances, victims were instructed to make payments via PayNow or bank transfers to purchase mooncakes. Subsequently, the scammers informed victims that their orders needed to be cancelled due to production or manpower issues and then directed them to malicious links under the guise of offering refunds.
Once the APK file was downloaded and installed, the scammers gained remote access to victims' devices, allowing them to steal passwords and access banking credentials, according to the police.
As a result, victims later discovered unauthorised transactions in their bank accounts.

Facebook user's warning​

A Facebook user posted on Tuesday in the Facebook Group, Complaint Singapore that she had bought some durian mooncakes from a seller known as Duria Singapore 榴冠王 - 新加坡总代, and she shared her experience:
"What a scammer. Received a call from Lily today for tomorrow delivery. To my surprise, she told me the factory had people catching COVID and the factory was required to do disinfectation and will be closed for the month. There was no promise when they can do the delivery, and I asked for a refund."
According to the user, the problem arose when the seller required her to download an app to process the refund, but it's available only on Android phones.
She stated, "I'm an iPhone user, so (it) couldn't be done. (Lily) mentioned that she was going to check for me. On the next day, she deleted all the messages she had sent and blocked me. She even blocked me on Facebook Messenger."
The user called for others to be aware when making purchases from Facebook merchants.
Facebook user posted on Tuesday in the Facebook Group, Complaint Singapore that she had bought some durian mooncakes from a seller known as Duria Singapore 榴冠王 - 新加坡总代

Facebook user posted on Tuesday in the Facebook Group, Complaint Singapore that she had bought some durian mooncakes from a seller known as Duria Singapore 榴冠王 - 新加坡总代 (PHOTO: Screengrab/Facebook/Complaint Singapore)

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tiongs and/or jiuhu folks were involved. Gullible and gian png Sinkies are easy prey.

An education system which produces obedient workers and punishes critical thinkers... this is the result.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
your tiong phones running android with apk will help you clean out your savings faster than sexclaiming “wtf?!”