• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Old Fart loves melamine cunts!!

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Dec 17, 2008
Wanted: People like her <!--10 min-->
S'pore needs to co-opt 50 Chinese steeped in the culture each year <!-- headline one : start --> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <!-- show image if available --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By Li Xueying, Political Correspondent

</td></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
ST_IMAGES_XYMM17CAP.jpg

</td> <td width="10">
c.gif
</td> <td valign="bottom">
c.gif

As a former China national, Ms Tan knows how to woo clients from her old homeland.
</td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- START OF : div id="storytext"-->

How i slept my way to success! :biggrin:

PRIVATE banker Leiny Tan was born in Wuhan city, grew up in Guangdong province and got her university degree in the United States. But she eventually decided to make Singapore her home after arriving here as a student in 1991. Now a citizen, the 40-year-old is in charge of the China market for US banking giant Citigroup, responsible for managing the finances of super-rich Chinese nationals based here and in China. As a former China national, Ms Tan knows how to woo clients from her old homeland. 'Knowing the language is an advantage as we need to be very clear and precise,' she told The Straits Times. 'Understanding the culture is another advantage - the Chinese are very private about their families, but if I ask them the right questions, for instance about their children, they're happy to open up.'

Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew wants to see 50 Chinese nationals-turned-Singaporeans like Ms Tan every year, 'co-opted' to help Singapore engage China. Speaking at a dialogue yesterday, Mr Lee said students from China may come here to master English. But if they come after secondary school, the depth of their Chinese 'can never be shaken'. 'So maybe we can co-opt 50 of them, and then we can bring them back to China to do business on our behalf.' In 50 years, Mr Lee envisaged East Asia and China 'will be where the action is'. And Singapore needs some 300 talented people a year with the cultural background to connect with those in China. 'Our problem going forward is that our best and brightest do not want to spend their lives concentrating on China,' said Mr Lee. 'They want to go to America, they want to... see greener pastures in the English-educated world.' So to engage China, Singapore now depends on its older generation who went through Chinese-stream education, and are familiar with Chinese allegories like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, he said. Younger Singaporeans are conversant in Mandarin, but are lost once the conversation leaves familiar subjects.

Said Mr Lee: 'You (the Chinese) can sit down with the Taiwanese businessmen and while the whole night away drinking because you can talk about so many common things you share in history and culture...But with a Singaporean, it's hard facts, hard facts, and there isn't this cultural background.' Mr Lee made the point in his reply to a question on how Singapore and China can work together looking forward. 'We are both learning more about each other,' he said. Citing the Suzhou Industrial Park built 14 years ago, he said the initial years were 'truly troublesome'. Singapore 'must always remember' the experience of one of its officials working on the project, he said. 'One day, the Chinese said to him: 'How old is your country? You want to teach me how to do this? My country is 5,000 years old'. So he decided that you cannot tell them do this, do that. All you can do is (to say), I suggest to you, you examine this and if you think it's a good idea, you pick it up.' So, Mr Lee anticipates fewer problems with the Tianjin eco-city Singapore is now helping to develop. 'We understand their style and they also understand us.'

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
China copy and learn from S'pore? Always S'pore the best. Every country follow S'pore. He is blowing his own horn.

When you have meetings in China / HK / Taiwan, and I am sure in other countries, everytime Singapore or Singaporeans are mentioned, you can see the quiet chuckles or head movemnet from side to side.

Always putting his own people down. Who says we have no such talent. He drove talents like Ms Tan away from S'pore.

Remember Tang Liang Hong. That guy's chinese culture was superb.

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
'So maybe we can co-opt 50 of them, and then we can bring them back to China to do business on our behalf.'

So instead of we, going there ourselves, to be screwed by them, we'll bring them here, to screw ourselves!:rolleyes:

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cringe whenever LKY speaks. He is using his own yardstick to measure all Singaporeans. Just because he is not in tune with Chinese culture, he assumes all Singaporeans must be worse than him.

I wish he would just retire gracefully, it is embarrassing to have him still as a leader of the country. He does not know how to flatter others with having to put down his own people.

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cringe whenever LKY speaks. He is using his own yardstick to measure all Singaporeans. Just because he is not in tune with Chinese culture, he assumes all Singaporeans must be worse than him.

I wish he would just retire gracefully, it is embarrassing to have him still as a leader of the country. He does not know how to flatter others with having to put down his own people.

Well said bro...

It's disgusting to hear this type of nonsensical talk from him every now and then. It's case of broken record. It makes one puke.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no political leaning

Maybe you have been hurt by government policy, hence you are angry at LKY.

But how uncivilised you are to call an innocent Chinese woman a melamine cunt for no reason

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have no political leaning

Maybe you have been hurt by government policy, hence you are angry at LKY.

But how uncivilised you are to call an innocent Chinese woman a melamine cunt for no reason

dunno about TS... in cyberspace i cudn't care less... much less LKY scumbag :rolleyes::biggrin: