• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

nippon chiobu Rina Gonoi wins sexual assault case. she chio?

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal

Japanese ex-soldiers found guilty in landmark sexual assault case​

Japanese ex-soldiers found guilty in landmark sexual assault case

Rina Gonoi, a former member of Japan's Self Defence Forces, who has accused colleagues of sexually assaulting her during her time in the military, speaks to Reuters in Yokohama, Japan, Dec 8, 2023.
PHOTO: Reuters

PUBLISHED ONDecember 12, 2023 3:05 PM

FUKUSHIMA, Japan — A Japanese court on Tuesday (Dec 12) found three former soldiers guilty of sexually assaulting a female colleague, in a victory for the victim whose long battle for justice challenged taboos in a traditional, male-dominated society.

The case of 24-year-old former Self-Defence Forces member Rina Gonoi, which has drawn broad international attention, relates to a 2021 incident during her time in the army when she alleges she was assaulted by three male colleagues.

The defendants, who denied their acts amounted to sexual assault, were each given a two-year suspended sentence, local media reported.
"I think it was good for Japan's society that the court handed down a guilty verdict and accepted the claims that I've made from the very beginning," an emotional Gonoi told reporters outside the Fukushima district court after the ruling.

"(The verdict) shows that it's not OK to do things for a laugh, that such acts are an actual crime," she said, pausing mid-sentence to retain her composure.

Gonoi, who said she was subjected to persistent harassment after enlisting in 2020, alleged that the three men pinned her to the ground, pulled her legs apart and pressed their crotches against her in simulation of a sex act.

She complained to her superiors at the time of the incident but later decided to leave the army when no action was taken.

After Gonoi went public in 2022, Japan's defence ministry issued a public apology to her and announced that five men connected to the incident had been dismissed and four others punished. Her allegations also sparked a widespread survey by the Japan's defence ministry into sexual assault in the military.

Her rare decision to go public with her accusations garnered attention in a conservative society where speaking out against sexual violence has remained largely taboo.

It also coincided with an effort by Japan to recruit more women soldiers and build up its military to deter its powerful neighbour China and nuclear-armed North Korea.

Gonoi's battle has attracted international recognition: Time Magazine named her on its list of 100 emerging world leaders while the British Broadcasting Corp included her among its 100 most influential women globally.

"I am appreciative of the fact that they value what I'm doing. There is a tendency in Japan when people speak up, they get criticised," Gonoi told Reuters in an interview ahead of the verdict.

But at home she has also been the target of online vitriol.
"I have gotten many derogatory comments. But I know the world values what I'm doing," she said.

Separately, Gonoi has also lodged a civil case against her former peers and the government, seeking damages for the alleged assault and the subsequent inaction despite her complaints.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
she is a butch
Remember the wise words of our former Machik President who said that when the price of chicken goes up, we should buy fish instead! WTF was she talking about? I guess the male soldiers had to resort to assaulting butches in uniform in the absence of SYTs in the military.