• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Netizens almost reduce PAP New faces to tears, sob sob...mummy where is my 'maria'

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
New PAP faces stunned by online vitriol
But they say they will focus on working the ground for elections
By Rachel Chang & Robin Chan
p10.jpg

Ms Tin Pei Ling, seen here speaking to the media after a press conference at the PAP's headquarters on Monday, has had pictures from her Facebook account posted online. Netizens have also raged over the 27-year-old's youth, and alleged that she was being fielded because of her husband's position as principal private secretary to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. -- ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN

NEW People's Action Party (PAP) candidates may have been prepared beforehand for a frosty reception in cyberspace, but the speed and malice with which some of them are being picked apart online have come as a shock.

Within days and sometimes hours of their introduction to the media as PAP candidates, private pictures and even court documents have been dug up and disseminated online, and forums lit up with debate and speculation.

Although the new candidates admit that the sound and fury of cyberspace has taken them aback, they say they are trying to tune out the most vicious comments and focus on working the ground for the coming general election.

The two female candidates introduced thus far have been the subject of the most intense scrutiny online.

Pictures from the Facebook account of the PAP's youngest female candidate, 27-year-old business consultant Tin Pei Ling, showing her posing with a Kate Spade shopping bag or with her husband on holiday, were posted on various websites and blogs.

Netizens have also raged over her young age, and alleged that her being fielded was due to her husband's position as principal private secretary to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

In the case of Ms Foo Mee Har, the Standard Chartered banker, an application for a bankruptcy order against a Mr Bernard Chan, who netizens claim is her husband, has spread to various forums.

The fact that she became a Singaporean only in 2008 has also come under heavy fire online.

For Dr Janil Puthucheary, another new candidate whose status as a new citizen has also ruffled feathers, what surprised him was 'how readily people are willing to make stuff up'.

'If the forums are to be believed, I have betrayed both my 'Malaysian' wife and my 'dead' father,' he quipped.

For the record, he pointed out that his wife is Singaporean, and his father, former Internal Security Act detainee Dominic Puthucheary, is still alive.

The latter was detained in 1963, before Singapore became independent. The Internal Security Council then comprised representatives from Singapore, Malaysia and Britain.

During Dr Puthucheary's introduction as a new candidate last week, he told the media that he once promised his wife not to enter politics, but later sought her permission to do so.

As for criticism that he did not serve national service, as he became a Singapore citizen at the age of 35, the paediatrician said he has been in public service: 'I've spent the last 10 years saving kids' lives.'

Both female candidates told The Straits Times that their focus is on their grassroots work and reaching out to residents.

Ms Tin has now made her Facebook pictures private.

Ms Foo did not want to respond to online comments about her husband, Mr Chan, apart from saying that he works as a general manager at an information technology firm.

Separately, a Straits Times check revealed that Mr Chan has never been made bankrupt and that the bankruptcy order against him, brought by Standard Chartered Bank, was later withdrawn.

Political observers interviewed by The Straits Times were split on whether the online firestorm is par for the course in politics, or has crossed the line.

Former Nominated MP Siew Kum Hong, for example, spoke out against the personal attacks on Ms Tin, writing on his blog that 'this is not what I want Singapore politics to be like'.

He told The Straits Times that the 'unfounded insinuations' made about her 'are quite offensive and to my mind beyond the pale'.

However, he defended the role of socio-political websites and Internet forums in subjecting political candidates to rightful scrutiny of their public statements and track records.

Some online have justified the attacks on Ms Tin and other new PAP candidates as m&d-slinging which is to be expected in politics, in Singapore or elsewhere.

It has also been pointed out that the PAP itself has a rich history of lobbing verbal grenades - and worse - at selected political opponents.

But Mr Siew argued that the two are separate matters: 'The PAP has been and will be judged by those actions. Many do not agree with those actions and accordingly take a negative view of the PAP. But those of us on the Internet will also be judged by our actions.'

As for any actual impact that the cyberstorm may have on the new candidates or the PAP at the polls, Nanyang Technological University associate professor Cherian George believes that there may be none, as the Internet could just be 'making visible what was being said in countless conversations in elections past'.

'We can probably trust in Singaporeans' ability to distinguish relevant arguments from cheap shots,' he added.

[email protected]
[email protected]

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Netizens almost reduce PAP New faces to tears, sob sob...mummy where is my 'maria

During Dr Puthucheary's introduction as a new candidate last week, he told the media that he once promised his wife not to enter politics, but later sought her permission to do so.

As for criticism that he did not serve national service, as he became a Singapore citizen at the age of 35, the paediatrician said he has been in public service: 'I've spent the last 10 years saving kids' lives.'

Yes and you're paid good money to do the job. So dun glorify what you did unless it was for free or pittance sum.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Netizens almost reduce PAP New faces to tears, sob sob...mummy where is my 'maria

Yes and you're paid good money to do the job. So dun glorify what you did unless it was for free or pittance sum.

Hehe...i thought he did all these for the sake of Mercedes, Ferrari and Porsche, no?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Never ever trust an ah neh especially from a MIW.

ben213us

Alfrescian
Loyal

Foo Mee Har's hubsand IS Bernard Chan Teck Hock,
Bankrupt before, now discharged.
ST reporters told to write rubbish or just cannot check facts?????

this link was working a few days, not cannot access
who is protecting who?