• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More funds and support to encourage parenthood

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
The details of the enhanced 2008 Marriage and Parenthood Package was announced today by Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng, Minister-In-Charge of Population Issues and Chairman of the National Population Committee (NPC).

would this steps help married couples 2 have more babies.....????

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The details of the enhanced 2008 Marriage and Parenthood Package was announced today by Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng, Minister-In-Charge of Population Issues and Chairman of the National Population Committee (NPC).

yeah right.. babies will start to popup like rabbits soon...lol...

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes , Again using more money to cure all the ills ! This has been used many many times , but whether it will succeed is another matter altogether.

Bring up kids is not abt cost alone , it the overall enviornment which impact your decision. Does giving one month more maternity leave help to procreate ??????????????

May be so , cos one more month to make love and thus create more babies ! Is that what he meant ?

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
s'pore only solution 2 problems is use money & campaign to rectify it.....oh yes & set up more committees 2 look into the issues.....in fact they should set up committes 2 oversee the many committes we have......:biggrin:

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
dont think can help very much as the demographics of our society is very much of an aging and matured country ... less babies and more elderly.

mengzai

Alfrescian
Loyal
To me, the company you work for also play an important role when you plan to have a kid. I do want to have a 3rd one (even without government subsidies) but my current job stop me from doing so.
I worked in a MNC, overall company polices is ok but the local management sucks, although I don’t report to the local office. I need to inform them of my movement whenever I go on leave or away from office. As my kids are still young, there was a time where they keep falling sick & I had to take leave to attend to them. In the end, I was told how come I always take leave, how come my wife cant take care of that….
I am not asking for sympathy but just want to have some understanding….

jhunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
While I'm sure they have thought of this before, could someone tell me what's so bad about the government starting subsidised baby creche around CBD, inside MRT stations or perhaps near working mothers, hiring qualified china/indian nurses or nannies to care for them? It's much cheaper in the long run and provides work opportunities.
That way, parents can drop by for like 15 minutes break to see their kids and pick up drop off to and from the office.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal

peanuts......they want more babies then pay cold hard cash...take care of the medical and education till 21...

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
beside cash they should have a labour law 2 give parents another 14 days of paid leave beside the current annual leave we have.....if we have children we need 2 spend more time with him/her.....if not they will end up as delinquent & cost more problem in the future.....

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sign of problem leow... May hav more unhappy employers voicing up soon...

20080806.125922_workingmom.jpg

Maternity leave unfair to boss and colleagues

I RAISED an eyebrow at the goodies our Government is dishing out to encourage women to have more babies - one extra month of paid maternity leave on top of the existing three months, and extension of two days of childcare leave to six days.

If a would-be mother eligible for these two new incentives were working in a company, what would her employer and colleagues think?

My guess is that they would not be happy.

In Singapore's fast-paced working environment, most companies try to keep labour costs low to remain competitive

There is no allowance for idle or excess labour.

While the employee is on maternity leave, the employer either has to get extra help (which increases overheads) or delegate the absentee's duties (which increases workloads).

The extended leave means the duration of these two options gets extended too.

Is this fair to her employer and colleagues who are covering for her? This might sound selfish, but when you have to deal with higher costs and increased workloads, there might be little room for sympathy.

My male colleague pointed out that the incentives do not benefit his wife, who quit her job to take care of their two kids. Having said that, the fact is that this policy targets working mothers.

But I am afraid that this may lead to more discrimination against working women who want to have children.

A good measure would be raising the quality and quantity of child-care centres, along with more subsidies and rebates.

Ultimately, if a woman is ready to have a baby, does four months' leave really matter?

Ms Laura Ng Lai Sun

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
raising kids these days just arent the same as back in the kampong days, when food source could be plucked from the fruit bearing tree, dug from the ground for roots like potato/tapioca..etc

cost of living rising, combined income still bearly making ends meet to sustain; the housing loans, the domestic helper (cos husband n wife working), utilities, co-financing aged working parents (retirement is a myth), perhaps co-subsidizing siblings' educations (aged working parent insufficient CPF for siblings studies)... n plenty more financial liabilities...

utilities tariff gone up, consumption of aircon cant go down much, cos the new HDBs r all high-rise greenhouses (full glass panelling).

no matter wat incentives the gahmen intends to throw at ppl who're found to be pregnant, there's no telling when n where crisis will hit this island. especially in the current times when the econ has taken snail speed... nobody really knows when they'd be offloaded by their employers too.

given the 20~25 or maybe 30yr financial toll on hand just to afford a roof & bed, not knowing when the last day of work will be... uncertainties lingering... even if couples r in the mood for rodent routine nightly (for the sake of exercise & stress relief), we're quite sure plenty out there just arent financially prepared for a kid to come along.

it takes merely minutes to make convert a woman to be an expecting mom, the trimesteral mths of check-up already stretches the pocket, 9mths later, after the kid is born... the pocket strings just simply fray n snap.

4mths of paid maternity leave? so wat? some1 else in the office has to dbl up on the colleague's absence, company productivity may have a shortage if 2 or more staff goes on maternity at the same time.

knowing that the term work-life balance is just a jargon in sg, lets nt 4get, the new fathers too have their duty to spouse & newborn, n shouldnt he too be entitled paid paternity leave?

the monetary incentives given by far r merely scratching the surface of the financial iceberg for new parents, there's plenty more in the days, mths, yrs to come in raising/educating the child.

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Government has decided to extend the qualifying date for the Baby Bonus and other measures in the enhanced Marriage and Parenthood (M&P) Package to 17 Aug 2008, the date of Prime Minister Lee's announcement at the National Day Rally.

good news for some of us who r planning 2 have our 1st children.....

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
the monetary incentives given by far r merely scratching the surface of the financial iceberg for new parents, there's plenty more in the days, mths, yrs to come in raising/educating the child.

The onus is on would-be parents to weigh the true costs of having babies and make sensible decisions... not jump impulsively on incentives and end up with commitments they can't handle.

Same for HDB incentives, housing deferred paymen schemes, CPFIS, car tax breaks, credit card promotions etc.

Too many don't see the forest for the tree **sigh**

american

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maternity leave unfair to boss and colleagues

Can't please everybody, can they? First, the stay home mum complain about career mom. Then the boss and colleagues complain :wink: