• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minnesota’s embrace of Afghan refugees has turned into a crisis

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

Minnesota’s embrace of Afghan refugees has turned into a crisis​

Gul Rahim fled Afghanistan last August, waited five months at a U.S. military base and eventually found a home in St. Paul for his family of 13.

Six months after arriving in Minnesota, he’s facing eviction.

“We fought for America for 20 years in Afghanistan,” said Rahim, who served with the Afghan National Security Forces, the military under the country’s former government. “I lost my home, my life and all my hopes and aspirations. Then, I came here. The U.S. government should not leave me alone.”

Rahim, 36, recently spoke to Sahan Journal through a translator at his family’s two-story, seven-bedroom house. His oldest child is 17 years old and his youngest is 14 months old. He has a baby on the way.

The federal government pre-paid Rahim’s rent for the first six months under typical resettlement protocol for Afghans who fled the Taliban takeover of their country in early 2021. But by August, he’ll have to show proof of income and take over the payments.

Rahim hasn’t found work because he doesn’t speak English and doesn’t know how to find or apply for a job in the United States. On top of that, three of his children and his wife are sick.

The state of Minnesota has welcomed more than 1,200 Afghans since last August. But that feeling of welcome has turned into stress and frustration for some refugees and the people advocating for them. Nearly 600 Afghan families face what advocates call a housing crisis in the Twin Cities exacerbated by rising rent rates.

Afghan refugees are on their own to find a job and pay rent after their first six months in the country, according to the state’s resettlement plan.

“We predicted this housing crisis was going to come at the end of six months,” said Amina Baha, the operations director of the Afghan Cultural Society of Minnesota. “These folks don’t have jobs. Most of them don’t know how to take the bus. They’re facing so many issues.”

The Afghan Cultural Society is working with at least five households who have no means to pay their rental leases, which are up for renewal in June and July. Requests for help are quickly piling up.

The society began as a community organization for new Afghans in Minnesota, but quickly assumed a role advocating for Afghans who struggle to find work, utilize public transportation, pay rent and navigate the school system. The group has voiced their concerns to state officials in weekly virtual meetings; housing has been a topic of discussion in nearly every meeting since September. The group is currently working on at least 50 cases covering a range of needs and expect 20 more cases in the next week.

Baha works with landlords to accommodate Afghan tenants. While some landlords have agreed to extend leases with prepayment of rent to give refugees time to find jobs, Baha said this is not sustainable.

“The purpose of the resettlement agencies was to get these people housed, find them a job, or connect them with a job counselor or network to get them on their feet by 90 days,” Baha said. “That did not happen.”

After the Taliban re-took Afghanistan on August 15 of last year, 124,000 people evacuated the region in one of the largest emergency airlifts in history. Some 75,000 evacuees were sent to eight military bases across the United States. Many of them had worked for the U.S. military, the former Afghan government or human rights organizations as translators, interpreters and other workers.

Minnesota initially pledged to resettle 65 Afghans, but the need exploded over the last 10 months, and many more started a new life in the state.

Nearly all of the refugees moving to Minnesota first lived in a hotel designated as transitional housing. From there, five resettlement agencies tasked with making sure refugees met their most immediate needs within 90 days found housing for each family and individual. The state partnered with the agencies and community organizations like the Afghan Cultural Society to connect refugees to appropriate resources.

Families and individuals affected​

Rahim sat on a small couch recently and, over tea, shared his family’s struggles as his children played on a twin-size mattress on the living room floor. The family lives in a modest house on a quiet street in a suburb east of St. Paul.

Rahim’s family had received a notice from their landlord the previous day ordering them to vacate the premises by 6 p.m. on August 3. His daughter handed the letter over as a visibly frustrated Rahim spoke in his native language, Pashto, and explained their situation. The letter said he elected not to renew his lease. Rahim said through a translator that he had no other option since he doesn’t have proof of income. His wife, Najiba, is also unemployed.

Rahim’s oldest son, Nik Mohammad, attends public school with three of his brothers and four of his sisters. His three other siblings are too young for school. Nik said through a translator that he’s worried about his family and feels helpless.

“I wish I could work here,” said Nik, 17. “My sisters and I will work hard in the future to pay the rent.”

Rahim said that even if he and Nik both found jobs, it would likely be insufficient to pay their monthly rent of $2,700.

“I don’t have money to pay the rent. My children will be on the street. I don’t know what to do and where to go,” said Rahim. “I can’t live under a tent — what can I do?”

Large families like Rahim’s aren’t the only ones facing eviction. Mohammad Ismail Himmat, 24, lives by himself in a one-bedroom apartment in Minneapolis. His lease ends at the end of July. Himmat’s landlord asked if wanted to renew his lease, but Himmat declined since he doesn’t have money to pay the monthly $1,100 rent. Himmat is unemployed and also struggles to find work.

“I don’t know what to do,” Himmat said through a translator. “I’m looking for friends to share a house or to help find a job so I can pay the rent.”

Himmat arrived in Minnesota in February. He had worked as a mechanic repairing generators at U.S. military camps in Afghanistan. He searched for work the last two months, but can’t read or speak English. Himmat said he has not been connected with any job agencies.

“I will do any job,” Himmat said. “I have to find a job, otherwise I will be kicked out.”

www.mprnews.org

Many Afghan refugees say they can’t pay their rent because they face language barriers and can’t find jobs. The federal government pays for their first six months’ rent. After that, refugees pay rent on their own. Several local organizations are scrambling to keep refugees off the streets.
www.mprnews.org

Source:https://www.mprnews.org/story/2022/...e-of-afghan-refugees-has-turned-into-a-crisis

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Minnesota’s embrace of Afghan refugees has turned into a crisis​

Gul Rahim fled Afghanistan last August, waited five months at a U.S. military base and eventually found a home in St. Paul for his family of 13.

Six months after arriving in Minnesota, he’s facing eviction.

“We fought for America for 20 years in Afghanistan,” said Rahim, who served with the Afghan National Security Forces, the military under the country’s former government. “I lost my home, my life and all my hopes and aspirations. Then, I came here. The U.S. government should not leave me alone.”

Rahim, 36, recently spoke to Sahan Journal through a translator at his family’s two-story, seven-bedroom house. His oldest child is 17 years old and his youngest is 14 months old. He has a baby on the way.

The federal government pre-paid Rahim’s rent for the first six months under typical resettlement protocol for Afghans who fled the Taliban takeover of their country in early 2021. But by August, he’ll have to show proof of income and take over the payments.

Rahim hasn’t found work because he doesn’t speak English and doesn’t know how to find or apply for a job in the United States. On top of that, three of his children and his wife are sick.

The state of Minnesota has welcomed more than 1,200 Afghans since last August. But that feeling of welcome has turned into stress and frustration for some refugees and the people advocating for them. Nearly 600 Afghan families face what advocates call a housing crisis in the Twin Cities exacerbated by rising rent rates.

Afghan refugees are on their own to find a job and pay rent after their first six months in the country, according to the state’s resettlement plan.

“We predicted this housing crisis was going to come at the end of six months,” said Amina Baha, the operations director of the Afghan Cultural Society of Minnesota. “These folks don’t have jobs. Most of them don’t know how to take the bus. They’re facing so many issues.”

The Afghan Cultural Society is working with at least five households who have no means to pay their rental leases, which are up for renewal in June and July. Requests for help are quickly piling up.

The society began as a community organization for new Afghans in Minnesota, but quickly assumed a role advocating for Afghans who struggle to find work, utilize public transportation, pay rent and navigate the school system. The group has voiced their concerns to state officials in weekly virtual meetings; housing has been a topic of discussion in nearly every meeting since September. The group is currently working on at least 50 cases covering a range of needs and expect 20 more cases in the next week.

Baha works with landlords to accommodate Afghan tenants. While some landlords have agreed to extend leases with prepayment of rent to give refugees time to find jobs, Baha said this is not sustainable.

“The purpose of the resettlement agencies was to get these people housed, find them a job, or connect them with a job counselor or network to get them on their feet by 90 days,” Baha said. “That did not happen.”

After the Taliban re-took Afghanistan on August 15 of last year, 124,000 people evacuated the region in one of the largest emergency airlifts in history. Some 75,000 evacuees were sent to eight military bases across the United States. Many of them had worked for the U.S. military, the former Afghan government or human rights organizations as translators, interpreters and other workers.

Minnesota initially pledged to resettle 65 Afghans, but the need exploded over the last 10 months, and many more started a new life in the state.

Nearly all of the refugees moving to Minnesota first lived in a hotel designated as transitional housing. From there, five resettlement agencies tasked with making sure refugees met their most immediate needs within 90 days found housing for each family and individual. The state partnered with the agencies and community organizations like the Afghan Cultural Society to connect refugees to appropriate resources.

Families and individuals affected​

Rahim sat on a small couch recently and, over tea, shared his family’s struggles as his children played on a twin-size mattress on the living room floor. The family lives in a modest house on a quiet street in a suburb east of St. Paul.

Rahim’s family had received a notice from their landlord the previous day ordering them to vacate the premises by 6 p.m. on August 3. His daughter handed the letter over as a visibly frustrated Rahim spoke in his native language, Pashto, and explained their situation. The letter said he elected not to renew his lease. Rahim said through a translator that he had no other option since he doesn’t have proof of income. His wife, Najiba, is also unemployed.

Rahim’s oldest son, Nik Mohammad, attends public school with three of his brothers and four of his sisters. His three other siblings are too young for school. Nik said through a translator that he’s worried about his family and feels helpless.

“I wish I could work here,” said Nik, 17. “My sisters and I will work hard in the future to pay the rent.”

Rahim said that even if he and Nik both found jobs, it would likely be insufficient to pay their monthly rent of $2,700.

“I don’t have money to pay the rent. My children will be on the street. I don’t know what to do and where to go,” said Rahim. “I can’t live under a tent — what can I do?”

Large families like Rahim’s aren’t the only ones facing eviction. Mohammad Ismail Himmat, 24, lives by himself in a one-bedroom apartment in Minneapolis. His lease ends at the end of July. Himmat’s landlord asked if wanted to renew his lease, but Himmat declined since he doesn’t have money to pay the monthly $1,100 rent. Himmat is unemployed and also struggles to find work.

“I don’t know what to do,” Himmat said through a translator. “I’m looking for friends to share a house or to help find a job so I can pay the rent.”

Himmat arrived in Minnesota in February. He had worked as a mechanic repairing generators at U.S. military camps in Afghanistan. He searched for work the last two months, but can’t read or speak English. Himmat said he has not been connected with any job agencies.

“I will do any job,” Himmat said. “I have to find a job, otherwise I will be kicked out.”

www.mprnews.org

Many Afghan refugees say they can’t pay their rent because they face language barriers and can’t find jobs. The federal government pays for their first six months’ rent. After that, refugees pay rent on their own. Several local organizations are scrambling to keep refugees off the streets.
www.mprnews.org

Source:https://www.mprnews.org/story/2022/...e-of-afghan-refugees-has-turned-into-a-crisis

moslem refugees are not known for their work ethnic. The central asian moslems have a tradition of banditry, not hard work.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
moslem refugees are not known for their work ethnic. The central asian moslems have a tradition of banditry, not hard work.
I think they are hardworking and very efficient.
I blame US gomen for employing a non english speaker. What did they employ him as ? Looks like he got the job from corrupt practices.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think they are hardworking and very efficient.
I blame US gomen for employing a non english speaker. What did they employ him as ? Looks like he got the job from corrupt practices.

No they aren't hardworking nor efficient.

The afghan men interviewed are likely to bar their wives and daughters from working. So half the adult members of the family are economically inactive. The afghan men themselves are notorious for taking bribes, skiving on the job and just bumming around. That's what you get from societies that look up to bandits as role models.

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
No they aren't hardworking nor efficient.

The afghan men interviewed are likely to bar their wives and daughters from working. So half the adult members of the family are economically inactive. The afghan men themselves are notorious for taking bribes, skiving on the job and just bumming around. That's what you get from societies that look up to bandits as role models.
I am not surprise at all.

They are unable to compete. Period.

Race and IQ
national-iq-scores.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's why it is sometimes called 'Minnesomalia'.

Obama brought in plenty of those Muslim refugee shit, and this is the result.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
The afghans have only themselves to blame. The afghan national army outnumbered the Taliban 4 to 1. Had 60 billion worth or arms etc. And they just surrendered or ran away...so they refused to fight. Why should the yanks even bother? And this afghan could be a terrorist disguised as a refugee. Heaps of them who ran away

mudhatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
served them right for betraying their own religion country and culture

serves traitors right

ALL traitors await the same fate in Akhirah and maybe some of them will get their just deserts too in the Here and the now

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am not surprise at all.

They are unable to compete. Period.

Race and IQ

Afghans used to be smart when they were Buddhists. The ancient Silk Road passed through Afghanistan, and many Buddhist Afghan cities were prosperous from trade. All that changed after the Afghans were forcibly converted to the muhammedan religion, and banditry became a main source of income for the new Afghan moslems.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trust me, they are industrious.
Why you think germans wanted 1 million of them.
Malays on the other hand are not very productive. Avoid at all cost. Slow but that could be due to acclimatising to our hot and humid weather.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Trust me, they are industrious.
Why you think germans wanted 1 million of them.

It was Merkel and some liberals who wanted 1 million of them. Most of the Germans were against this policy.

And no, most of the moslem migrants are not industrious. They came from societies were corruption and lying is the norm, and their role model was a bandit who got rich from plunder, not honest trade.

Malays on the other hand are not very productive. Avoid at all cost. Slow but that could be due to acclimatising to our hot and humid weather.

The muuds need a better role model than their current arabic 'prophet'.

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Afghans used to be smart when they were Buddhists. The ancient Silk Road passed through Afghanistan, and many Buddhist Afghan cities were prosperous from trade. All that changed after the Afghans were forcibly converted to the muhammedan religion, and banditry became a main source of income for the new Afghan moslems.
I beg to difference ...

Examples :
Philippines and Indonesia .... One is Christian/Catholic while the other Moslem. Their economic situation and living standard are almost the same. Reason is simple - they belong to the same Race. ( Malay Archipelago ). Like wise for people from Borneo and West Malaysia. They have a common traits .. their IQ are 80++ points. That's is why you cannot find any leading manufactured brand from these countries. Maybe staple food items or farming industries only.

Africa - No matter what religion you are ... all have no prospect.

Latin America - Venezuela, Columbia etc etc are all third world countries and they are not Moslem.

South Asia - No matter if you are a Hindu, Moslem, or any other religion ... still backwards.

The world was industrised for at least 200 years ... all the above countires still unable to catch up. What stopping them? IQ.

Race and IQ
national-iq-scores.jpg

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
The afghans have only themselves to blame. The afghan national army outnumbered the Taliban 4 to 1. Had 60 billion worth or arms etc. And they just surrendered or ran away...so they refused to fight. Why should the yanks even bother? And this afghan could be a terrorist disguised as a refugee. Heaps of them who ran away
During Chinese civil war, heaps of kmt troops surrendered or turn against their own. Not just an Afghan thing. :unsure:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
During Chinese civil war, heaps of kmt troops surrendered or turn against their own. Not just an Afghan thing. :unsure:
So they live with the consequence. And be at the mercy of the Taliban...no need to demand other countries accept them with charity. No one owes this Afghans a living.