• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Microsoft Surface Pro - please share comment

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Recently saw someone using the Microsoft Surface Pro was quite impressed with the ease of use and versatility

Anyone here using it? Please comment how you feel, what you like and dislike. Any advise for first time user.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally I would wherever possible avoid anything related to Microsoft, and that includes Linkedin, Skype, Xbox, Outlook (formerly Hotmail) etc.

If it's a Windows notebook you want, there are cheaper options. Microsoft made Surface because it was jealous of Apple's success with Macbooks and iPads; Microsoft wanted its own 'in-house' device.

And the Microsoft App Store is terrible.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a Surface Pro. I used to think it was fantastic from a pure portability POV 2 years ago but I don't use it much anymore since UL (ultrabooks) notebooks have caught up. I won't buy one today (I didn't buy mine anyways - work did) - instead I would get a Lenovo Carbon X1 (I use one) or a Dell XPS13. The new ultrabooks use usb-C power bricks that are very small too.

I used the Surface Pro as a secondary laptop, not primary e.g. something I would take to meetings to take notes. The pen was very good for handwriting. At that time, I didn't upgrade to to an ipad pro yet. My ipad pro today is also very good with using pen to take down handwritten notes.

The minuses about the Surface are:
1) the keyboard. Zero feel.
2) It had only one usb slot which meant I had to use a BT mouse.
3) The kickstand meant that when I sat on a plane in economy, I could rarely use it on the economy seat tray. I would instead balance it on my lap.

Note: my comments above for previous version of the Surface

tun_dr_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
MicroSHIT can fuck spider, big disappointment in software, and still want to try sell hardware. So far only keyboard and mouse can sustain.

Home game playstation also lost to Japs etc.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Power is fucked up. Thiness is fucked up. Price is fucked up. Second hand tablet is like 200 only. And i wont say it can replace a laptop, unless you buy extremely high end one. So no

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I've been using Macbook for a long time. Anyway Surface seems like a bad idea from all our posts. I will listen.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Macbook i was an owner. Until the microsoft support was removed and its very very difficult to fix. Maybe you tell what your uses are. I can recommend something

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Whether Apple or Microsoft or whatever... It's all about personal taste.
Just like women. While we may not appreciate @ginfreely or her hokkien heritage, some men may find her sexy and loves her deep deep.

So, please don't create a thread to insinuate that she's a useless slut whore mistress using Microsoft as example!

:biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Microsoft Surface reliability problem: It’s more than hardware and software
Consumer Reports yanked the “Recommended” imprimatur for Surface devices — but Microsoft’s service should be sent to the woodshed, too.

20170210-p1200703-100708509-large.jpg
Martyn Williams

CURRENT JOB LISTINGS

Job Search by

You’ve undoubtedly seen the news, first reported by Reuters, that Consumer Reports doesn’t like the Microsoft Surface line, removing the “Recommended” mark from all of its Surface machines. But the manifest hardware, firmware and driver problems are only a small part of the problem. What sticks in my craw, time after time, is Microsoft’s unwillingness to acknowledge problems or help customers when it’s clear their product is at fault.
[ To comment on this story, visit Computerworld's Facebook page. ]
First, the headline and the statistics behind it. Consumer Reports just posted a new Brand Reliability assessment (paywalled) for all Surface products that says, in part:
[ Related: How to protect Windows 10 PCs from ransomware ]
Due to its comparatively higher breakage rate, Microsoft laptops cannot be recommended by Consumer Reports at this time. These conclusions are based on our breakage rate estimates for laptops by the end of the 2nd year of ownership, gathered from subscribers' experiences with 41,304 laptops purchased new between 2014 and the first quarter of 2017. Our statistical model estimates breakage rates for laptops not covered by a service contract and accounts for the number of hours of use per week.​
Salvador Rodriguez’s Reuters article offers somewhat different statistics:
The non-profit publication surveyed 90,000 tablet and laptop owners and found that an estimated 25 percent of those with Microsoft Surface devices would be presented with “problems by the end of the second year of ownership.”​
Likely the difference comes from competing definitions of “tablet” and “laptop.” We can argue about definitions, but the fact remains that Consumer Reports implies it surveyed owners of Surface Pro 3 (released June 20, 2014) and Surface Pro 4 (Oct. 26, 2015) machines, but not Surface Pro 2017 (May 23, 2017). It seems to imply that the survey included Surface Book (also Oct. 26, 2015) but not the Surface Laptop (June 15, 2017).
+ Related: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Type Cover suddenly stops working +
If you’ve been following my coverage of Surface machines for the past two years, it shouldn’t surprise you to know that the Surface Pros have endured endless waves of problems.
Do you detect a pattern?
[ Got a spare hour? Take this online course and learn how to install and configure Windows 10 with the options you need. ]Microsoft's treatment of Surface customers
Excessive firmware and driver problems have only been exacerbated by Microsoft’s execrable treatment of its Surface customers. Time after timeafter time — most recently this morning — complaints lodged on Microsoft’s own support forums have met with stony silence. Sometimes, months after the fact, Microsoft admits that there was a problem. Frequently, there’s no acknowledgment, no fix, and nothing but the support of other customers to drive away the wolves.
Microsoft loves to say these problems only hit a “small number of devices.” That may well be true, but when the problems hit and hit and hit, we’re looking at death by a thousand cuts.
Yes, I know. You own a Surface 2-in-1 or laptop, and it’s the best computer you’ve ever had. I hear that all the time: My machine’s great, same with everybody I know, so what’s your beef?
I understand you’re among the lucky 75%. But the other 25% have just blown the lid off Microsoft’s “small number of devices” assertions. So much so, that Consumer Reports now lists Microsoft’s Surface as the least reliable laptop. You can choose your own definition of laptop.
It pays to listen to your customers, eh?
Join us for commiseration on the AskWoody Lounge.