• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Life Sucks]: Vast majority of NSmen not even fit to take physical fitness test.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vast majority of NSmen not even fit to take physical fitness test(?let alone able to pass it?).
Okay, I don't know the pass rates, but just over 1/3 (116,000 servicemen) being cleared to attempt a basic fitness test, is I think something like a crying shame...

Somewhere, I read that the immediately mobilisable number of men SAF has is 300,000. Wikipedia places the number at over 800,000 reservist, see: Singapore Armed Forces (Wikipedia).

If 300k forces base is used, then 116k is like 38.7% testable only.
If 800k forces base is used, then only 14.5% fit to attempt the fitness test.
The rest are not even fit to attempt the test: I.e. MAJORITY CANNOT even attempt to run 2.4km.

For the majority who do not qualify to run 2.4km or some other alternative testable equivalent, I really wonder if they are fit to chase the enemy at all.

It is perhaps high time a new role is found for these physically unfit (/chow keng) NSmen considering other pressing social needs: or does the majority of SAF just consists of an admin/ wayang service: e.g. store man/ logistics/ clerical/ polishing/ repairs/ cleaning etc work?

Maybe palliative care nursing would be a good way to serve NS, then terminally ill Singaporeans would not have to write to the Straits Times so frequently demanding euthanasia/ pleading their wish to die.

If Sinkies cannot even allow their fellowmen to die comfortable and happy, then I believe there is no point fighting for the next new day ......

Minister Khaw paid just S$8 for a new lease of life: there is NO convincing reason why simple, peaceful, hygiene palliative care should not be FOC.
8%2524+Bypass.jpg
(IMG source)

The Straits Times, Published on Oct 23, 2013
SAF soldiers' IPPT likely to change from next year
By Jermyn Chow Defence Correspondent
ST_20131023_JCIPPT23_3891901e.jpg

Every soldier, airman and sailor may have to undergo a new physical fitness test from next year.
The Singapore Armed Forces is looking to change the Individual Physical Proficiency Test, or IPPT, for the first time since 1982.
Key changes are expected to include the scr@pping of the standing broad jump station and adding push-ups as a testing criterion, The Straits Times has learnt.
Servicemen will also have to run 3.2km instead of the current 2.4km to test endurance over longer distances.
The changes could kick in as early as next April.
The current IPPT has five stations: the chin-up, standing broad jump, 4x10m shuttle, sit-up and the 2.4km run.
The army's assistant chief of the general staff (training) Ng Ying Thong declined to confirm the changes, other than to say the SAF "constantly reviews its training system to stay relevant".
"The current IPPT remains the test protocol for individual physical fitness in the SAF," he said.
Sources say military top brass is finalising the changes, though senior SAF ground commanders have been told of likely tweaks.
Asked yesterday if changes are in the offing, Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen said they are an "operational requirement", adding: "It is not a political dictate and I defer to my SAF generals to tell me whether the system for getting people fit, for helping them to maintain fitness, is appropriate or not."
About 116,000 people a year take the IPPT but the Defence Ministry did not reveal pass rates.
Many servicemen will breathe a sigh of relief if the broad jump is axed.
Failing it, as plenty have, means the soldier has to undergo remedial training.
Mindef and the SAF have insisted the IPPT serves as a "baseline measure of physical fitness".
Servicemen and women must achieve IPPT standards set according to their gender and age.
The test, launched in 1979, initially included half-knee bends and required regulars and national servicemen to take the test in army t-shirts, slacks and boots.
Both components were removed.
The latest IPPT revision will put the SAF test in line with its Australian and US counterparts.
Dr Teh Kong Chuan, senior consultant at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital's Sports Medicine Centre, said running longer distances may not be more intense if the time required to do it is lengthened.
But he added: "A longer run will be a good test of cardiovascular fitness and muscular endurance."
Personal trainer Chris Chew, who trains people to help them pass the IPPT, said push-ups will better test upper body strength and welcomed the removal of the standing broad jump.
He said: "It is about rhythm, which is not relevant on a battlefield and not very effective in strengthening the lower limbs."
The jump has seen NSman and accountant Norman Ng fail the IPPT most of the times he has taken it.
The 29-year-old, who is due to take his IPPT next August, said: "Hopefully I can do a lot better and pass with a silver to qualify for the monetary reward."
[email protected]
Copyright © 2014 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...oldiers-ippt-likely-change-next-year-20131023
The Straits Times, Published on May 15, 2014
Euthanasia and the death sentence
I AGREE with Mr S. Ratnakumar ("Euthanasia can be governed by legislation"; Forum Online, May 3).
Over the past year, two of my relatives died of cancer and I have seen the pain, both physical and mental, they endured.
I spent time with my cousin, who had three months to live and died in March. She shared a lot of things with me, one of which was that she wanted her doctor to stop giving her medicine so she could leave this world sooner, as the drugs were not helping to ease her pain.
But this was not possible as euthanasia is not legal in Singapore.
This is ironic as we have capital punishment here. So if the law values life, like what Mr Tan Jin Yong says ("Value of life not linked to its quality"; May 7), then the death sentence should not be allowed here.
Even animals are put to sleep when they are suffering, but humans are expected to endure their pain.
Declaration of a desire for euthanasia must be done by the patient and his doctor, so that the decision is not influenced by others for their benefit.
Louis Francis Albert
Copyright © 2014 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Euthanasia and the death sentence

Last edited: