• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Key facts about India’s growing population as it surpasses China’s population

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Key facts about India’s growing population as it surpasses China’s population
www.pewresearch.org
FEBRUARY 9, 2023
BY LAURA SILVER, CHRISTINE HUANG AND LAURA CLANCY

FT_23.01.18_IndiaPopulation_feature.jpg
(ferrantraite via Getty Images)

India is poised to become the world’s most populous country this year – surpassing China, which has held the distinction since at least 1950, when the United Nations population records begin. The UN expects that India will overtake China in April, though it may have already reached this milestone since the UN estimates are projections.

Here are key facts about India’s population and its projected changes in the coming decades, based on Pew Research Center analyses of data from the UN and other sources.

How we did this

This Pew Research Center analysis is primarily based on the World Population Prospects 2022 report by the United Nations. The estimates produced by the UN are based on “all available sources of data on population size and levels of fertility, mortality and international migration.”

Population sizes over time come from India’s decennial census. The census has collected detailed information on India’s inhabitants, including on religion, since 1881. Data on fertility and how it is related to factors like education levels and place of residence is from India’s National Family Health Survey (NFHS). The NFHS is a large, nationally representative household survey with more extensive information about childbearing than the census. Data on migration is primarily from the United Nations Population Division.

Because future levels of fertility and mortality are inherently uncertain, the UN uses probabilistic methods to account for both the past experiences of a given country and the past experiences of other countries under similar conditions. The “medium scenario” projection is the median of many thousands of simulations. The “low” and “high” scenarios make different assumptions about fertility: In the high scenario, total fertility is 0.5 births above the total fertility in the medium scenario; in the low scenario, it is 0.5 births below the medium scenario.
Other sources of information for this analysis are available through the links included in the text.
A chart showing that India’s population has more than doubled since 1950
India’s population has grown by more than 1 billion people since 1950, the year the UN population data begins. The exact size of the country’s population is not easily known, given that India has not conducted a census since 2011, but it is estimated to have more than 1.4 billion people – greater than the entire population of Europe (744 million) or the Americas (1.04 billion). China, too, has more than 1.4 billion people, but while China’s population is declining, India’s continues to grow.

Under the UN’s “medium variant” projection, a middle-of-the-road estimate, India’s population will surpass 1.5 billion people by the end of this decade and will continue to slowly increase until 2064, when it will peak at 1.7 billion people. In the UN’s “high variant” scenario – in which the total fertility rate in India is projected to be 0.5 births per woman above that of the medium variant scenario – the country’s population would surpass 2 billion people by 2068. The UN’s “low variant” scenario – in which the total fertility rate is projected to be 0.5 births below that of the medium variant scenario – forecasts that India’s population will decline beginning in 2047 and fall to 1 billion people by 2100.

People under the age of 25 account for more than 40% of India’s population. In fact, there are so many Indians in this age group that roughly one-in-five people globally who are under the age of 25 live in India. Looking at India’s age distribution another way, the country’s median age is 28. By comparison, the median age is 38 in the United States and 39 in China.
A chart showing that more than four-in-ten people in India are under 25 years old
The other two most populous countries in the world, China and the U.S., have rapidly aging populations – unlike India. Adults ages 65 and older comprise only 7% of India’s population as of this year, compared with 14% in China and 18% in the U.S., according to the UN. The share of Indians who are 65 and older is likely to remain under 20% until 2063 and will not approach 30% until 2100, under the UN’s medium variant projections.
A chart showing in India, people under 25 are projected to outnumber those ages 65 and older at least until 2078
The fertility rate in India is higher than in China and the U.S., but it has declined rapidly in recent decades. Today, the average Indian woman is expected to have 2.0 children in her lifetime, a fertility rate that is higher than China’s (1.2) or the United States’ (1.6), but much lower than India’s in 1992 (3.4) or 1950 (5.9). Every religious group in the country has seen its fertility rate fall, including the majority Hindu population and the Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist and Jain minority groups. Among Indian Muslims, for example, the total fertility rate has declined dramatically from 4.4 children per woman in 1992 to 2.4 children in 2019, the most recent year for which data is available from India’s National Family Health Survey (NFHS). Muslims still have the highest fertility rate among India’s major religious groups, but the gaps in childbearing among India’s religious groups are generally much smaller than they used to be.
A chart showing in India, fertility rates have fallen and religious gaps of fertility have shrunk
Fertility rates vary widely by community type and state in India. On average, women in rural areas have 2.1 children in their lifetimes, while women in urban areas have 1.6 children, according to the 2019-21 NFHS. Both numbers are lower than they were 20 years ago, when rural and urban women had an average of 3.7 and 2.7 children, respectively.

Total fertility rates also vary greatly by state in India, from as high as 2.98 in Bihar and 2.91 in Meghalaya to as low as 1.05 in Sikkim and 1.3 in Goa.

Likewise, population growth varies across states. The populations of Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh both increased by 25% or more between 2001 and 2011, when the last Indian census was conducted. By comparison, the populations of Goa and Kerala increased by less than 10% during that span, while the population in Nagaland shrank by 0.6%. These differences may be linked to uneven economic opportunities and quality of life.
A map showing that populations grew unevenly across India between 2001 and 2011
On average, Indian women in urban areas have their first child 1.5 years later than women in rural areas. Among Indian women ages 25 to 49 who live in urban areas, the median age at first birth is 22.3. Among similarly aged women in rural areas, it is 20.8, according to the 2019 NFHS.

Women with more education and more wealth also generally have children at later ages. The median age at first birth is 24.9 among Indian women with 12 or more years of schooling, compared with 19.9 among women with no schooling. Similarly, the median age at first birth is 23.2 for Indian women in the highest wealth quintile, compared with 20.3 among women in the lowest quintile.
Among India’s major religious groups, the median age of first birth is highest among Jains at 24.9 and lowest among Muslims at 20.8.
A chart showing that India’s sex ratio at birth has been moving toward balance in recent years
India’s artificially wide ratio of baby boys to baby girls – which arose in the 1970s from the use of prenatal diagnostic technology to facilitate sex-selective abortions – is narrowing. From a large imbalance of about 111 boys per 100 girls in India’s 2011 census, the sex ratio at birth appears to have normalized slightly over the last decade. It narrowed to about 109 boys per 100 girls in the 2015-16 NFHS and to 108 boys per 100 girls in the 2019-21 NFHS.

To put this recent decline into perspective, the average annual number of baby girls “missing” in India fell from about 480,000 in 2010 to 410,000 in 2019, according to a Pew Research Center study published in 2022. (Read more about how this “missing” population share is defined and calculated in the “How did we count ‘missing’ girls?” box of the report.) And while India’s major religious groups once varied widely in their sex ratios at birth, today there are indications that these differences are shrinking.

Infant mortality in India has decreased 70% in the past three decades but remains high by regional and international standards. There were 89 deaths per 1,000 live births in 1990, a figure that fell to 27 deaths per 1,000 live births in 2020. Since 1960, when the UN Interagency Group for Child Mortality Estimation began compiling this data, the rate of infant deaths in India has dropped between 0.1% and 0.5% each year.

Still, India’s infant mortality rate is higher than those of neighboring Bangladesh (24 deaths per 1,000 live births), Nepal (24), Bhutan (23) and Sri Lanka (6) – and much higher than those of its closest peers in population size, China (6) and the U.S. (5).
A chart showing that out-migration typically exceeds in-migration in India
Typically, more people migrate out of India each year than into it, resulting in negative net migration. India lost about 300,000 people due to migration in 2021, according to the UN Population Division. The UN’s medium variant projections suggest India will continue to experience net negative migration through at least 2100.

But India’s net migration has not always been negative. As recently as 2016, India gained an estimated 68,000 people due to migration (likely to be a result of an increase in asylum-seeking Rohingya fleeing Myanmar). India also recorded increases in net migration on several occasions in the second half of the 20th century.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since they don't have nor know how to use a toilet, India would soon be a continental shithole.
Something that even dogs didn't manage to do!

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a lot of hype in the western media over how India by virtue of being the most populous country is on track to becoming some sort of superpower in the future. The only reason why they are saying that is they know with reasonable certainty this will not happen, i.e. the same way they often hype over how Brazil is a potential great power in Latin Americas.

Interestingly, this Pew Research already provides some clues on why this is so and I would also like to add on a little.

#1 India's Total Fertility Rate is has plunged by 42% from 3.4 in 1992 to 2.0 in 2020, this is already below replacement ratio of 2.1. If the experience of the rest of the world is anything to go by, this drop will continue and even accelerate. What this means is any Indian population growth we see from 2020 onwards is a result of older people hanging on longer rather than new babies coming out.

#2 TFR of 2.0 is actually pulled up by Muslims @ 2.4. The rest of the population is only 1.9. It is worthwhile to note that Muslims as a group is marginalized in India and tend to have a much lower literacy rate, economic productivity and urbanization compared to national average. That means a disproportionate amount of population growth is in areas where they are more of a drag then push to society.

#3 The report focuses a lot on how India has a lot of young people compared to US and China - this is true, but of greater and critical importance is what proportion of these young people actually have the education, skillset and opportunity to upgrade their SES and what proportion of them are still and will be stuck in subsistence farming or basic craftsmanship? I don't know the actual numbers, but I suspect they are not pretty.

#4 Negative net migration is forecasted to happen all the way to 2100. This statistic is already damning by itself, but makes it really depressing is not touched on by Pew. If there is further breakdown of the net migration outwards, one will likely find the quitters are the smartest and most skilled ones. Unfortunately for India, their relatively good English competency amongst the middle and upper class makes it very easy for good Indians to run road to western countries. If we break down the migration flows into regrettable and non-regrettable losses, the former will likely far outnumber the latter.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because of the one child policy and the Tiongs aborting countless female babies, China is experiencing demographic suicide in real-time. :cool:

I have a feeling Winnie is deliberately instigating a war to kill off Tiong males. A large group of young, restless males in a country under bad economic conditions is always a threat to any dictator. :wink:

China is recruiting a lot of soldiers now. :whistling:

Flying Horse

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a lot of hype in the western media over how India by virtue of being the most populous country is on track to becoming some sort of superpower in the future. The only reason why they are saying that is they know with reasonable certainty this will not happen, i.e. the same way they often hype over how Brazil is a potential great power in Latin Americas.

Interestingly, this Pew Research already provides some clues on why this is so and I would also like to add on a little.

#1 India's Total Fertility Rate is has plunged by 42% from 3.4 in 1992 to 2.0 in 2020, this is already below replacement ratio of 2.1. If the experience of the rest of the world is anything to go by, this drop will continue and even accelerate. What this means is any Indian population growth we see from 2020 onwards is a result of older people hanging on longer rather than new babies coming out.

#2 TFR of 2.0 is actually pulled up by Muslims @ 2.4. The rest of the population is only 1.9. It is worthwhile to note that Muslims as a group is marginalized in India and tend to have a much lower literacy rate, economic productivity and urbanization compared to national average. That means a disproportionate amount of population growth is in areas where they are more of a drag then push to society.

#3 The report focuses a lot on how India has a lot of young people compared to US and China - this is true, but of greater and critical importance is what proportion of these young people actually have the education, skillset and opportunity to upgrade their SES and what proportion of them are still and will be stuck in subsistence farming or basic craftsmanship? I don't know the actual numbers, but I suspect they are not pretty.

#4 Negative net migration is forecasted to happen all the way to 2100. This statistic is already damning by itself, but makes it really depressing is not touched on by Pew. If there is further breakdown of the net migration outwards, one will likely find the quitters are the smartest and most skilled ones. Unfortunately for India, their relatively good English competency amongst the middle and upper class makes it very easy for good Indians to run road to western countries. If we break down the migration flows into regrettable and non-regrettable losses, the former will likely far outnumber the latter.
True enough, your assessment that being one of the most populous country is synonymous to being superpower is very much hyped up. Not just by the western media but also very much by the nationalistic media in India.
THough I had traveled couple of times to India for the past 2 decades but mostly the Northern part. When I had an opportunity to travel to the Southern part of India middle of last year, I was very much surprised. There are many forested areas in the South and many places are actually very much under populated compared to China or Southeast countries like Vietnam or Indonesia. I can speak with such confidence as I traveled through all those states either by road or rail. I witness the level of their economic development vis-a-vis population density. In reality most of the populations are limited to a few states in the North such as Uttar Pradesh and Bihar each exceed 100 millions if I'm not wrong. Those Southern States which had a much higher literacy level and economic activities paradoxically is facing exodus of young IT folks not just to the Western countries but also to Southeast Asia, notably Singapore and Malaysia.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
True enough, your assessment that being one of the most populous country is synonymous to being superpower is very much hyped up. Not just by the western media but also very much by the nationalistic media in India.
THough I had traveled couple of times to India for the past 2 decades but mostly the Northern part. When I had an opportunity to travel to the Southern part of India middle of last year, I was very much surprised. There are many forested areas in the South and many places are actually very much under populated compared to China or Southeast countries like Vietnam or Indonesia. I can speak with such confidence as I traveled through all those states either by road or rail. I witness the level of their economic development vis-a-vis population density. In reality most of the populations are limited to a few states in the North such as Uttar Pradesh and Bihar each exceed 100 millions if I'm not wrong. Those Southern States which had a much higher literacy level and economic activities paradoxically is facing exodus of young IT folks not just to the Western countries but also to Southeast Asia, notably Singapore and Malaysia.
Hi Flying Horse

Thanks for sharing your experience, my travels to India are much more limited compared to yours, chiefly only to 2 South Indian cities Chennai and Bangalore due to my ex-companies setting up their country HQs there.

On the few occasions I actually needed to visit site operations in locations half a day’s drive outside these two cities, I had the same observations as you. There were a couple of small towns and lower tiered cities that I visited and the thing that struck me most was how underdeveloped and rural lightly populated they were along the way.

Though Bangalore and Chennai weren’t exactly shinning modern metropolitans, the contrast between these bigger cities and smaller towns / cities surrounding them was mind boggling. In China, usually the smaller municipal cities are just one to two notches below the provincial capital.

In South India, these surrounding small cities were so underdeveloped that they felt more like disorganized higher density rural areas. I think the lack of basic infrastructure is impeding development outside the few big Indian cities and as a result people are just swarming into the few overcrowded cities doing menial urban hard labour while those that remain have little opportunities other than subsistence farming and simple crafts.

I remembered this “city” I visited was supposed to be one of the bigger ones in Tamil Nadu, yet my colleagues told me the area had no stable power and a few factories basically had to get together to build a private mini power plant to ensure energy security. One of the European MNCs nearby actually financed the building and management of a hotel nearby which they open to visitors to other factories in the vicinity as the local ones were so bad that no foreigner wanted to stay there.

I am not prepared to totally write off India’s potential as a superpower in the future, but any angmo who writes crap about how India will soon take over the world needs to be disabused of that notion by actually trying to stay in India for a month. I predict most cannot even tahan the big famous cities, much less anything smaller and god forbid, the real rural regions.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if they become the most populous nation in the world, the only outcome is that they will flood the US, UK and Singapore with FT instead of staying/ returning to India.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because of the one child policy and the Tiongs aborting countless female babies, China is experiencing demographic suicide in real-time. :cool:

I have a feeling Winnie is deliberately instigating a war to kill off Tiong males. A large group of young, restless males in a country under bad economic conditions is always a threat to any dictator. :wink:

China is recruiting a lot of soldiers now.
Xi jimping wants china to be a superpower equal or stronger than the US. If there is no US, china's neighbours in the south will be swallowed one by one by hoping the ethnic chinese of ASEAN will rise up with them and raise a chinese communist regime in all these states.

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having a big population has many positive advantages.

Able to influence those around you, economic and military advantages and many more.
However, the population must be of high IQ. Having many low IQ population will become a burden instead.
Oil rich Saudi, Brunei .... what is their impact on their immediate neighbors? Venezuela with all its oil is still backwards. What these countries have in common ... low IQ.

So India having the most populace nation in the world is a blessing as well as a curse.

Race and IQ
national-iq-scores.jpg