• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Jialat! Kimchis don’t like Nigger Mermaid!

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is South Korea Really Racist? Koreans Explain Why “The Little Mermaid” Tanked In Local Box Offices​

News

Koreaboo
Just now
Here’s why it might not have done well.
Z4V2PsmvdBHVpq04JNOIP8mON-XnKJojoTYApSpIZUgsNy0Hp3S1HtyQwPlTZWu9S0U8MRKIFRc5tZhUOLsiscaInRbJ9exu0MK41WN58023hHM=w780-nu-rj-l80-e365

Disney’s 2023 version of The Little Mermaidwith Halle Bailey has not been doing so well in South Korea. The box office numbers are failing to live up to the usual hype for Disney remakes. Upon hearing the news, many international audience members were quick to point fingers at South Korean audiences, accusing the latter of racism.

While South Korean audiences did indeed express surprise when Halle Bailey was casted for the role, many were willing to wait for the movie to be screened before passing further judgement.

After the movie aired, Asian Boss took to the streets to question South Koreans about the matter. They asked Koreans what they thought of the narrative that the movie flopped because of racism.

Koreans felt that the movie itself did not live up to expectations, casting aside. Although the more negative reviews from Koreans have been sensationalized in the media, a quick look on the CGV booking site revealed that most found the movie a fun watch, enjoying the OST.

rJFABrooS5hVaK1BAx9EAa09uhUNtkbENYSbn3R0ZH7o7u_fyPSsGWWQLm7fcJZGxm_pwRLyKQmB_cxJ45UN3z_ZNjBDsnItXQ3abB009U5ey3I=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365
| CGV
  • Although it’s not the ending I previously knew of… I watched it without expectations. The songs were good.
  • It’s fun. I loved the songs.
  • The fantastical world under the sea was fun for the eyes but I think the storyline and casting did not live up to expectations. I was excited because I watched the animated version in theaters when I was younger and was touched, but I was a little disappointed. But the songs were good anyway.
  • The songs were so so good.
CGV is the most popular movie theater chain in South Korea.

Mdoh5wbal98sUsw8Aa9_KKvS0HhrGTsCfqaP9U5cMPRFNLH3e4lybPOG3R5JijXcqqU6lyo0WULASuRV5Hl32x7c-o5Fo95Df4I682jWiCrSNeY=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365
| CGV
  • It’s passably fun to watch.
  • It’s watchable. My kids loved it.
  • My kids loved watching it.
  • I didn’t watch the animated version when I was young and perhaps that’s why it wasn’t bad for me. I was worried that the mermaid would disappear into foam at the end.
Most reviews from the public barely mention the race or casting of the female lead. Reviews focused on the music, and the plot.

Despite the racist narrative served by international media, some netizens have stepped up to defend Korean audiences.

While no one can deny that certain audience members have shown racism with inappropriate comments about the casting, is it really fair to draw the conclusion that the entire nation is racist simply because the movie did not do well in box offices?

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead on focusing on those that don't like the movie or tank at the box office...the question should be.. which country likes the movie and it is a success?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only low IQ ones like the nigger mermaid.

And to hell with Disney, a pro-LGBT, pro-pedophilia trashy company.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lol it’s so funny that anything u don’t immediately like equates to something really bad!

Oh you don’t feel that India is a great holiday destination? You must be a racist!

You prefer average sized women? You must be anti-women who are plus sized!

You like Christmas? Oh then you are against Catholics!

dickheadchang

Alfrescian
Loyal
The movie industry had gone overboard in pivoting key roles in movies from key characters who were previously played by white actors / actresses to black performers - Nick Fury in the Avengers, Motherpenny in recent bond movies and speculation that Idris Elba will be the next Bond. Why not do the reverse?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The movie industry had gone overboard in pivoting key roles in movies from key characters who were previously played by white actors / actresses to black performers - Nick Fury in the Avengers, Motherpenny in recent bond movies and speculation that Idris Elba will be the next Bond. Why not do the reverse?
Black Panther should be played by an Angmoh Albino.

Sustanon

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN you get a much much much better response (maybe even better than a white mermaid) by using a chio ATB as a mermaid than a black mermaid.....