• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Japanese volunteer fought in Syria for a 'personal test'

Midway

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Japanese volunteer fought in Syria for a 'personal test'

Tokyo man who joined rebels had no religious or political motive - just a 'pent-up feeling'

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 09 October, 2014, 10:55pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 09 October, 2014, 10:56pm

Kyodo in Tokyo

1d16aee8894769713696d7e6b4b62ebb.jpg

Yoshifumi Uzawa had "no interest" in Syria or Islam.

A Japanese man who joined a rebel group in Syria last year said he wanted to test his limits by going into battle but "had no religious or political beliefs".

The story of Yoshifumi Uzawa, 26, a self-employed resident of Tokyo, echoes that of another 26-year-old, a university student, questioned by police on Monday on suspicion of planning to join the Islamic State militant group.

The Hokkaido University student said he had no "interest in Syria or Islam".

Instead he was unhappy with his life and having problems finding a job.

In contrast, Uzawa, who has returned to Japan, travelled to the war-torn region because he had had "a pent-up feeling" that he wanted to fight.

Becoming withdrawn as a boy after being bullied, Uzawa said he began to feel life was meaningless and that he "wanted to destroy everything on a battlefield". Syria was his destination because fierce fighting was taking place, Uzawa said, adding that, like the student, he did not have any interest in Islam.

syria-strike.jpg

Smoke rises during air strikes by the US-led coalition on the Syrian town of Kobani, near the Turkish border. Despite the air strikes, Islamic State now controls a third of the town after capturing a police station in the east yesterday. Photo: AFP

Uzawa said he entered Syria via Turkey and got in touch with a member of a rebel organisation.

He said he "was introduced to an extremist faction that is getting along well with the Free Syrian Army," an armed organisation working to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.

He sustained heavy injuries when he took part in an operation to attack a prison in Aleppo to free political prisoners. He came under shell attack and shrapnel pierced his left thigh.

He was treated at a local hospital and returned to Japan in July last year and still had minute shell fragments lodged all over his body, he said.

"I didn't see enemy soldiers but I was frightened when we were targeted," he said. "I only shot twice or three times. I didn't take part in killing."

Recalling his experiences, he said, "I was hoping to lead a fulfilling life without fearing criticism from other people."