• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

James Gomez: I Shall Return. And I Have!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Home > Singapore > Story
</TR>
<!-- headline one : start --><TR>Ex-WP candidate plans to return for good
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Li Xueying
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_GOMEZ1A.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Mr Gomez declined to say whether he would still be active in opposition politics.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->MR JAMES Gomez, a Workers' Party (WP) candidate in the 2006 election, told reporters yesterday that he would return to Singapore for good at the end of this year.
But he declined to confirm if he would still be active in opposition politics.
He spoke to reporters yesterday on the sidelines of his convocation ceremony at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel. He was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree by Australia's Monash University, a programme he enrolled in in 2004.
He left Singapore shortly after the May 2006 election to work as a researcher in a think tank in Sweden.
The 42-year-old was part of the WP team that contested in Aljunied GRC at the last polls. They garnered the highest share of votes - 43.9 per cent - among opposition GRC teams.
Mr Gomez himself was the subject of a controversy over his non-submission of an application form for a minority candidate certificate.
Asked if he would contest the next polls, due by 2011, he said: 'That's too far ahead but I'll be happy to discuss (with the party leaders) further.'
WP leaders could not be reached for comment yesterday.
Mr Gomez informed the media earlier in the week that he wished to speak about his research on the Internet and Singapore general election. This was the subject of his doctoral thesis.
After 3-1/2 years of work and analysis of the three general elections in 1997, 2001 and 2006, his conclusion was that the availability of alternative political views online had no impact on voting patterns. Currently on a fellowship at Japan's Keio University, he said he hoped to continue to do research in this area after his return to Singapore.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that his conclusion is quite logical. People on the internet have usually made up their minds for their political affiliation or affinity. They come here to find out news, rumours etc., and try to convince others. Others also try to convince them. Then they argue with each other. No side convinces any other side, as nobody wants to lose the argument. Nobody's opinion is changed by the internet.

A

Alu862

I think that his conclusion is quite logical. People on the internet have usually made up their minds for their political affiliation or affinity. They come here to find out news, rumours etc., and try to convince others. Others also try to convince them. Then they argue with each other. No side convinces any other side, as nobody wants to lose the argument. Nobody's opinion is changed by the internet.

Has the SDP failed in that regard? I think so, given their construction of their "market place" website