• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Internet Radio worth it?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I often listen to the radio & often tune into the stations in Malaysia. With internet radio there must be many interesting stations out there. Through iTunes I can tune in to some music stations. However I am looking at an external payer. Something that I can use without turning on my computer. A product that I can use without turning on the computer like Grace internet radio:
http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-Wireless-featuring-GDI-IRDT200/dp/B00395ZQMK/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Has anyone got any experience to share:confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just buy a Klisp bluetooth aptz speaker. Download tunedin app. You have a clear internet radio

The device I'm looking at has blue tooth built in. It can transmit to any blue tooth receiver like a headphone. It can also be plugged into a hifi system, acting as a source, playing internet radio through the hifi speakers.

If you have an iPhone or android phone you are suppose to be able to use these devices as a remote control.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Finally got my internet radio but initially had problems with the radio having problems connecting to the internet. I updated the firmware on my ADSL modem & played around with the security settings & voila I can now choose the thousands of internet stations out there:biggrin:

Many of these stations just play music without the commercials or propaganda.

I decided to get the Sangean brand because I have an old radio, a Sangean ATS 909 that is still working even after 10 years. The only thing I've had to replace is the power adaptor.
I got the WFR-28 http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-WFR-2...qid=1388040156&sr=8-8&keywords=internet+radio
The radio also has FM & it's easy to switch to FM & listen to the normal stations. The radio can be controlled from an iPhone or iPad :confused: Will see how it goes when I get an iPad.

Also bought 4 rechargeable NiMi batteries http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Premi...-Batteries/dp/B00408IF1Y/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y
The radio has a built-in charger to recharge the internal batteries. One can use any D batteries which I find better than some of the other radios which require proprietary rechargeable batteries.

The only thing I dislike is that the radio has no "off" switch. It only has a switch to power down to standby mode. Will probably take out the batteries out & turn off the radio by turning off the power to the radio because I want to avoid vampire drain.

I haven't noticed any lag in the music when playing stations streaming 128kbps music, even though I have a slow Singnet ADSL connection. No regrets getting the radio.:smile:

Captain America

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I often listen to the radio & often tune into the stations in Malaysia. With internet radio there must be many interesting stations out there. Through iTunes I can tune in to some music stations. However I am looking at an external payer. Something that I can use without turning on my computer. A product that I can use without turning on the computer like Grace internet radio:
http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-Wireless-featuring-GDI-IRDT200/dp/B00395ZQMK/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Has anyone got any experience to share:confused:

Waste of time but anyway..

http://www.kickradio.nl/dnn/default.aspx

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any Japanese online internet radio to share?

Yes, when I do a search by country there over 100+ Japanese stations listed.

There are so many stations, that It is probably better to do a search by country, then to narrow the selection by genre e.g. pop, hard rock, talk,... etc

Last edited:

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the forumers has already mentioned the tunein.com app. Allows you to stream 100s of stations from the internet.
Does anyone know how I can stream Astro and RTM stations from Malaysia?

The app I mentioned above cannot receive stations like Lite FM or Traxx FM and I don't really get a very good signal from the JB frequency in Singapore.
Any advice or tips?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the forumers has already mentioned the tunein.com app. Allows you to stream 100s of stations from the internet.
Does anyone know how I can stream Astro and RTM stations from Malaysia?......

I did a quick look at a station named Astro Gold, Astro Opus & Astro OSAi FM & I get a recording about legal restrictions & the streaming only being available in Malaysia & Brunei :eek:
If they are going to place restrictions on who can listen then have to wonder why they bother putting it on the internet:confused:

Also tried to tune into RTM Selangor 100.9 FM but wasn't successful. Maybe they are on holiday:smile:

However was successful with other stations in Malaysia. So in the case of Malaysian stations, some obviously don't understand why they should be on the internet.:rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's been a couple of months since I got this radio & I am satisfied with the purchase. I now rarely listen to the local stations. It's easy enough to switch to FM but I don't feel a need to. I have the radio tuned mostly to 181.fm I am tuned to the station that plays mellow gold. Adverts are rare & it's usually a community message about volunteering to be a dad, or donating to childrens education. These community messages are short & not annoying. The display on the radio tells me the the station is using bit rate is 128 kbps.

I have tried the Australian stations but tired of listening to all the car ads. I have tried tuning to malaysian stations but many of them don't allow people from outside to listen in. Some stations in Sabah have a combination of english, chinese & malay programing from the same station. Not my cup of tea as one can never tell when the english portion will be playing.

I have an iPad with the Tunein App which is pretty good. This will be useful when I travel. However for local use the radio is more handy since it has a larger speaker & doesn't need re-charging since I run it on AC power. My main gripe is that the radio uses a rocker switch for volume control. A knob would be more intuitive & faster.

There is sometimes a lag in the music but I don't know the cause. It could be due to my slow ADSL connection:confused: I'm planning to upgrade my connection. Will see if it improves.

So if you have already got an internet connection, might as well use some of the bandwidth to listen to radio.

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, Sangean is a very good Taiwanese brand which are known in the past for its shortwave radio.

I had a ATS505 radio which is still doing very good after nearly 10 years.

I might also want to purchase an portable internet radio where I can listen to thousands of radio stations across the world in the comfort of my living room.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, Sangean is a very good Taiwanese brand which are known in the past for its shortwave radio.

I had a ATS505 radio which is still doing very good after nearly 10 years.

I might also want to purchase an portable internet radio where I can listen to thousands of radio stations across the world in the comfort of my living room.

I've got a Sangean ATS 909 which I bought 10 years ago which has FM/SW/LW/MW. It is sitting next to my new Sangean internet radio. The only thing I had to replace was the external power adaptor. The good experience with the Sangean brand was instrumental in my decision to try the Sangean internet radio.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good to know that you're happy with your purchase and now won't have to listen to the drivel of Mediacorp or SPH Mediaworks and their retarded DJs.