• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If you're planning to renounce Singapore citizenship: A word of caution

Leitaisor2002

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have seen many Singapore citizens who renounced Singapore citizenship and now regret - correction, deeply regret - their decision. The fact that they have withdrawn their CPF monies is of little consolation.

Whatever misgivings you may have about Singapore, the fact remains that Singapore is still your home. In a foreign country (Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand, wherever) you are and always will be a lesser human being, and you will always be short-changed and exploited when it comes to work and earning a living. You WILL face racially-motivated hostility and prejudice.

Want to rough it out for a few years overseas? Gain overseas work experience? Gain overseas life experience? Take up a second citizenship like what many other Singaporeans have done? (by right and by Singapore law dual-citizenship is disallowed, but by left, well just "don't ask, don't tell"). By all means do so. Has anyone heard of anyone else who has been publicly prosecuted for holding dual citizenship? No, I didn't think so. As long as you're not a trouble-maker and not publicly bad-mouthing anyone, no one will give you any trouble. Until you actually receive official notice from the Singapore Immigration Authority, why not just continue to tread that fine line? You have nothing to lose. Or just continue holding on to your Australian PR and renew it every few years when the time comes. You can call both Singapore and Australia home.

DO NOT give up your Singapore citizenship. Don't burn all your bridges. Retain your Singapore citizenship because eventualities will arise, and you will be grateful that you still have a way out, you still have a way back home.

Do not learn things the hard way. Take this piece of advice: do not give up Singapore citizenship. If anything untoward happens to you and you find yourself a victim in your new adopted home, viciously harrassed and harangued on all sides, you will have no way out and you will be well and truly alone. You will well and truly be at the mercy of your enemies. You may be temperate and peaceable, not the type to make an enemy out of anyone, wanting nothing more than a happy and peaceable life, but there will be legions out there who will only be too glad to make an enemy out of you for no other reason than because of your ethnicity and the fact that you are a foreigner.

In a foreign land, you are nothing more than a resource to be exploited. The attitude taken towards you will be clinically calculated, detached, methodical and unconscionable exploitation.
Whats the advantage of keep CPF can see no touch? Why would I keep sg shitizenship when my cash out cpf can downpayment for another 2 new house in Kyushu for rental and homestay. I keep my cpf for another 5 to 10 yrs interest for my 2nd and 3rd house plan

Last edited:

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
the only BEST decision i made in my life was i renounced my singapore citisenship and now i call Australia my home sweet home! :smile:
i been living in Australia for 10 years now and everyday is a blessing i wake up smilling every day finally i feel like a human being!!!

"always will be a lesser human being, and you will always be short-changed and exploited when it comes to work and earning a living. You WILL face racially-motivated hostility and prejudice" LOL that is what i experienced when i was in singapore i felt worst then an animal even poop smell nicer then me!!!!!!!

and best of all i make sure my baby NOT born in singapore and she was born in Australia! :smile:
and guess what after living in Australia for 10 years i owned 2 landed property one of them i rent it out :smile:
and another best thing in my life is that i already i already retired in my early 40s which i can never able to if i still in singapore :smile:

for me to renounced singapore citisenship is the best thing ever! :smile:

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Growing up in Singapore, I've learned you must follow the rules, if not bad things happen to you. I also think from a personal level, if you take up another citizenship and the law states it doesn't allow dual citizenship, you should do the right thing. Be it gray, or non establish persecution in this case. A lot of people say you should keep your Singapore citizen in case you want to go back, blah blah blah this blah blah that. I think they are just uncommitted fools. If your family, work, life, are spend in a particular country, and you have enjoyed, received so much from it why keep something that you hardly use. Sentimental value? Money? Assets? I find that a lot of people that have stayed and even prosper in Australia kept their Singapore citizenship because they still have assets back home. Their kids, usually gave up and turned aussie as it makes more sense for them.

By the way, need the CPF to start buying assets here. Don't really care if the Sg govt send me warning, strongly worded letter or not. I say, ask them to screw themselves! :wink:

bro a very well said!!!!! spot on bro!!!!!!!!!

Leitaisor2002

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have seen many Singapore citizens who renounced Singapore citizenship and now regret - correction, deeply regret - their decision. The fact that they have withdrawn their CPF monies is of little consolation.

Whatever misgivings you may have about Singapore, the fact remains that Singapore is still your home. In a foreign country (Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand, wherever) you are and always will be a lesser human being, and you will always be short-changed and exploited when it comes to work and earning a living. You WILL face racially-motivated hostility and prejudice.

Want to rough it out for a few years overseas? Gain overseas work experience? Gain overseas life experience? Take up a second citizenship like what many other Singaporeans have done? (by right and by Singapore law dual-citizenship is disallowed, but by left, well just "don't ask, don't tell"). By all means do so. Has anyone heard of anyone else who has been publicly prosecuted for holding dual citizenship? No, I didn't think so. As long as you're not a trouble-maker and not publicly bad-mouthing anyone, no one will give you any trouble. Until you actually receive official notice from the Singapore Immigration Authority, why not just continue to tread that fine line? You have nothing to lose. Or just continue holding on to your Australian PR and renew it every few years when the time comes. You can call both Singapore and Australia home.

DO NOT give up your Singapore citizenship. Don't burn all your bridges. Retain your Singapore citizenship because eventualities will arise, and you will be grateful that you still have a way out, you still have a way back home.

Do not learn things the hard way. Take this piece of advice: do not give up Singapore citizenship. If anything untoward happens to you and you find yourself a victim in your new adopted home, viciously harrassed and harangued on all sides, you will have no way out and you will be well and truly alone. You will well and truly be at the mercy of your enemies. You may be temperate and peaceable, not the type to make an enemy out of anyone, wanting nothing more than a happy and peaceable life, but there will be legions out there who will only be too glad to make an enemy out of you for no other reason than because of your ethnicity and the fact that you are a foreigner.

In a foreign land, you are nothing more than a resource to be exploited. The attitude taken towards you will be clinically calculated, detached, methodical and unconscionable exploitation.
Your id cheongster123. Where did you cheong and how did you cheong that cannot make it. You must have cheong the wrong hole

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi everyone, i have a dilemma, yr advise will be appreciated! I'm 36 years old, married with 2 kids age 7 and 5. My job is home base (or any where within APAC) and im considering of moving to vietnam as my wife is from ho chi minh. This is a huge decision and my only concerns are my kids, i know that there are good american schools out there after doing my research but then again, you never know. So if i renounce my citizenship, will i get every penny or am i subjected to pay anything back to the government like the housing loan interest etc? I'm just very tired of Singapore because of its high living cost and im the only sole bread winner........my kids will grow up eventually and still have their SG citizenship but i dont know how it will turn out when that time comes....haiz.....
Professor balding is in vietnam. If anything you can reach out to him for advice. He has been staying there for years. Hit him up on twitter

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
as for the original poster, he is just a loser. Many will return like a whipped dog. Including that dpp who told his sons to escape NS.why are their opinions valid? They are useless people