• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Identity of buyer behind record $41.6m Tampines coffee shop sale revealed

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

Identity of buyer behind record $41.6m Tampines coffee shop sale revealed​

JUNE 16, 2022PUBLISHED AT 9:21 PMByMELISSA TEO

20221606%20record%20breaking%20coffee%20shop.jpg
Coffee shops are where most of us grab an affordable meal, but did you know that they're a piece of hot real estate that can sell for tens of millions of dollars?

Recently, a coffee shop at Blk 201 Tampines Street 21 called Gong Xi 21 Food Court was sold for a whopping $41,682,168. The caveat was lodged in April and the sale is expected to be completed in July, reported 8world.

This beats the previous record price of $31 million for a coffee shop at Blk 155 Bukit Batok Street 11 in 2015.

But who is the mystery buyer?

In a separate article by 8world, it was revealed that the property is being purchased by G&G (21) Pte Ltd. The company director, Kiong Tai Weng, also happens to be the owner of 7 Stars, a coffeeshop chain.

On top of that, he also owns U Stars supermarkets and the popular Hong Kong Street Zhen Zi food court.

Covering an area of 604 sqm, this property in question is one of the biggest coffee shops along Tampines Street 21 and has a grand total of 18 stalls. It has 76 years left on its lease.

Its current price tag is about 12 times more than its original price of $3,451,200 in February 1997.

But even for the size, it's still a hefty amount to fork out for a coffee shop.

According to Nicholas Mak, ERA Singapore's head of research and consulting, the $41.6 million price — or $6,964 psf — is comparable to the price of retail spaces along shopping district Orchard Road.

As a comparison, he shared that stores in Far East Plaza and Lucky Plaza were around $4,000 to $8,000 psf in the first half of this year.

However, not everyone is too pleased with the record-breaking sale.

A number of stall owners have lamented that due to an almost double in rent, they may not want to remain in the coffee shop.

One stall holder, who declined to be named, told 8world that in the past 23 years she had been a tenant at the coffee shop, she had never experienced any drastic rent hikes.

But since the coffee shop was bought over, her rent has increased from about $6,000 per month to about $9,000. The new landlord had tried to increase her rent to $10,000, but she managed to bring the amount down after some haggling, she said.

While she does not want to give up the stall yet as she does not want to leave her employees jobless, she shares that if she still finds herself struggling after six months, she will consider shuttering the business.

Another tenant, who wanted to be known only as Jacquelyn, told The Straits Times that rent for her stall, Kumamoto Ramen, has doubled from $5,000 to about $10,000.

Her stall is now making a loss and she has had to let two workers go, she said, adding that she is "thinking of pulling out".

[email protected]

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good luck. The rental is so high that the stalls have to sell French cuisine type of price. In a low SES neighbourhood it’s time before it flops.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't understand sinkies. I normally punish hawkers who over-charged me for a simple meal. My intention is to force them to close down for good, without giving them the business they needed. Unfortunately, sinkies still want to patronise such exploitative stalls. No wonder PAPPY find it extremely easy to dominate sinkie lives. Where did all these sinkie stupidity came from? I wonder.

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where did all these sinkie stupidity came from? I wonder.
Comes from your schools and education. Not about subject studied but the way the students are programmed to follow rules aka authority rules no matter what. Programming, mind control and indoctrination. Brain washing starts young.

What people voted for will affect their children.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just let them learn by not patronising those expensive places .
The PAP ministers set the tone by paying themselves the highest salaries in the world for running one of the smallest country .