• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Help neeeded for Perth migration.

Rafael Vandervaart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey people..

I'm 32 year old who intend to migrate to perth.
primarily to settle there for a long time.(may or may not throw away sg citizenship)

I wanna continue to work in the oil and gas sector..
Experience wise i have 2 years working in shell ,7 years in eastman chemicals
and 1 year in exxonmobil..all process operations.
qualification wise not so much... 5 o level credits and a nitec in chemical process.I'm willing to continue pursuing short courses.
consider myself pretty laid back person..not realli ambitious.Would like to continue my line of work in return for a comfortable pay and lifestyle.

i have hired a aussie migration agent and he's in process of applying for me a class 176 visa.

my questions are...

1) Anyone in tis forum got lobangs in oil and gas sector in perth?

2) Will aussie companies actually bother to look at my resume?since i'm applying from off shore.

3) Roughly how much cash will i have to sufficient bring to go there initially?

4) How is it like working wif the aussies?Any feedback or grouses?

Sincere answers appreciated..Cheers :smile:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
One thing about kiasu Singaporean is that if you really want to migrate, do it because you are willing to make a leap of faith, not expecting to be spoon fed and fall on a bed of roses.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, and jobs at your level should not be hard to find. Only a matter if you are willing to work a lower level that you might be used to in SG (but with better pay and hours/union support etc.)
2) No, because they will give preference to locals (citizens+PRs) first. Even the Oz government has cut down the work permit quota (457 Visa)
3) Bring enough for a year, say around 30-60K, 30 if you're single, 60 if with a young family. But like I said, you should not have a problem getting somewhere in O&G if you're willing to start small.
4) Once you get over the thought of them being a different race and treat them like any other human being, then you can really begin to appreciate whatever relationships you build with them.

panama

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a good move. Perth is a good city to move to.

Your top priority is to get a job there.

Try some of the following oil and gas companies in Perth:

Clough Engineering
Advanced Well Technologies
Arc Energy
Ausclad Group
Brunel Energy Pty Ltd
Cladtek International Pty Ltd
Emerson Stewart Ltd
GeoSeis
ICON Engineering Pty Ltd
Metzke Engineering
Oilex Ltd
Seastream JV
Toll Energy
Woodside Petroleum
Neptune Marine Services

Maybe you have contacts in your previous/current job who can introduce you to something..

Rafael Vandervaart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks mates

Sorry if i appear not willing to give up my creature comforts that we enjoyed in sg..i dun think i'm..

i also expect it would not be an airline smooth transition..Yeah it'll be starting over again there...it'll take alot of work and i'm confident it'll be worthwhile.

:smile:

(Btw are u both in australia now?)

plec140

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

1) From your description; it looks like you are from the plant operations / maintenace side. The only refinery that comes to mind is kwinana(BP) in WA , shell refinery is victoria.most of process jobs are from the mining sector in WA; so you will have to transfer your skills to those.The LNG facilities are a long way off.Regarding certs dont worry so much , they love experience here more, your idea getting some qualification here is good idea you can consider doing diploma at TAFE.

2)If you have a very specific rare skill then yes they consider from offshore. If not higher chance from onshore, take note things move slow here and dont bother over summer that is late november till january.Be prepared to start from the bottom agian, however here there is not so much a face thing .

3)No comments yet to complete on year :smile: .But i am single so took a lot less then 30k , renting a room , got second hand car, so far it works.

4) Same as spore lah, most people can work , some people cannot work bo chup them.Talk kok with people get to know them you should be fine.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal

In most cases in Oz, for executive level positions, employers prefer people who have local experience so someone without it would be disadvantaged. Not sure if this applies to other sectors as well.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
take note things move slow here .

You are partially right in this aspect in that, it would well be the case in Perth, SA or some of the other laid back states. Try going over to Sydney and it'll be a shocker.

Rafael Vandervaart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah BP is a good place to be at in perth but they alredi rejected me on the basis i dun have the right to work there yet..

I will try again as soon as i get that..
Gorgon LNG is an interesting project but it's off shore and abit way off perth..
most probably will be doin FIFO..

So ur there alredi bro?Which industry ur in ?share bit of ur life there if u dun mind ..

plec140

Alfrescian
Loyal
Satan

yeah that is what everyone keeps saying.So far only been in perth , thinking of moving to the east coast just to see maybe in 2010.

Rafael Vandervaart

Have look at the britishexpats forum ,
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54
its best for ozzie migration; its meant for poms but most of it is applicable to us also, except maybe the ielts part.

been here since September, so far not too bad ; PM me if you have any specific question , will try my best to answer . I am working in O&G but in marketing (hehehe not related to my study at all , got lucky)

P.S. Do your drivers license conversion at west perth office near city west.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
OZ/Canada etc are high migrant societies and many people apply from overseas but don't turn up for interviews or even for jobs that have been made available. Usually citing excuses such family issues postponing coming over or changed their mind.

99% of companies will not bother with applications from overseas even if you state that you are already a PR.

Apply when you reach here or use a friend/relatives address and telephone number locals details and when you already got your PR.

I am confident, you will get an appropriate job very quickly as you come from plant/maintenance background. Those with such technical background are much needed.

Don't worry, its 1st world country - can't go wrong. Can be initially boring as less people, less nightlife, less action but one can adapt overtime.

Yeah BP is a good place to be at in perth but they alredi rejected me on the basis i dun have the right to work there yet..

I will try again as soon as i get that..
Gorgon LNG is an interesting project but it's off shore and abit way off perth..
most probably will be doin FIFO..

So ur there alredi bro?Which industry ur in ?share bit of ur life there if u dun mind ..

Rafael Vandervaart

Alfrescian
Loyal
PLEC140

Thanks for the heads up on the licensing thingy..
Will follow up on that.

Satan

Ur on the east coast bro?i noticed there's more opportunities there but i prefer WA..
nearer to home and i do have some frens and relatives there..mostly not for me but for the missus.. :smile:

Scrooball

Thanks mate..ur right...i reckon they will not wan to bother if they see a foreign address
Will use some my relation's addie then.

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
PLEC140

Thanks for the heads up on the licensing thingy..
Will follow up on that.

Satan

Ur on the east coast bro?i noticed there's more opportunities there but i prefer WA..
nearer to home and i do have some frens and relatives there..mostly not for me but for the missus.. :smile:

Scrooball

Thanks mate..ur right...i reckon they will not wan to bother if they see a foreign address
Will use some my relation's addie then.

You sad little pathetic loser

talking to yourself?

yet another loser clone, brand new in Oct 2009

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Satan

Actually, I work for a US MNC that has seconded me to Singapore for about 3 years. Might only be only going back to Oz sometime in 2012.
I was in Sydney but I didn't like it there, the stress level is high, becoming like Singapore. Have a house there which I have rented out. Yeah. WA is very laid back, a lot of Singaporeans there, some ex SAF officers have retired there. Good for retirement.

Rafael Vandervaart

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey guys... few more questions if ya dun mind..

1) How are the interest rates for vehicles?
new or used (1 to 3 years)

2) What would be consider a good salary for a blue collar work?
i mean for ppl in technician jobs..they pay weekly right?
(Lifestyle wise like a typical family in sg earning about sgd 3k ah)

If u guys who are alredi there have other
practical tips do share them wif me..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hey guys... few more questions if ya dun mind..

1) How are the interest rates for vehicles?
new or used (1 to 3 years)
http://rac.com.au/Finance/Interest-rates-and-fees.aspx

Why take loan?

If you are doing urban driving, you are better off getting 1-3 yo used 4cycl 1.5 litre car for less than $10,000.
Eg a used Hyundai Getz 4-door "supermarket trolley" cost about $7,000.
Suzuki Swift is another good car.

Otherwise, for a v6, a 10yo Ford is a good choice if you are good at mechanic. The car and spare parts so cheap that you can laugh.

2) What would be consider a good salary for a blue collar work?
i mean for ppl in technician jobs..they pay weekly right?
(Lifestyle wise like a typical family in sg earning about sgd 3k ah)
For blue-collar worker, a good salary is working half a year for a full-year's pay equivalent of your white-collar mate. :biggrin:
Over in Aus, our salary is calculated annual. You will be on average if you earn $55-70k. My electrican earn about $90K. Cost of living in Perth has gone up a lot.
Compare salary at http://www.miningpeople.com.au/

If u guys who are alredi there have other
practical tips do share them wif me..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you can survive Perth in Summer January, you are set for this city. Evenings can be cool and you may need a light jacket.

Remember that Jan is when Perth kind of shutdown. Even I will be on vacation (Thanks to the strong A$)

Perth is changing all the time these days, you will see a lot of Asians these days.
Chinese and Indians are investing big time in this part of the continent.
Almost all service stations and fast food outlets in the metro area are run by Indian migrants.

Even the skyline is changing.

There is no more daylight saving, so Perth time is the same as Singapore.

I have posted information about Perth in the past. Hope the information helps.

Watch out for the sales. Remember that Perth is not a shopping paradise.

Finally, I am so used to Perth that I cannot adapt to the hectic meaningless sweaty lifestyle in Singapore anymore. I would rather visit Hongkong for shopping.

Last edited: