• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gary: PRC $luts Show Sg Has Meleetocracy Woh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Proud Singaporean

'Meritocracy applies to everyone who chooses to become a Singaporean.'
DR GARY ANG YEE: 'After 48 years, Li Jiawei, Wang Yuegu and Feng Tianwei have done us proud by finishing second in the women's table tennis team event at the Beijing Olympics. There are those who criticise the three China-born players for not being born in Singapore. The fact remains that they represented Singapore at the Olympics. It was not their choice that they were born in China, but it was theirs to represent Singapore. Meritocracy applies to everyone who chooses to become a Singaporean. Let us work together to make Singapore a better place and give credit where credit is due.'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ambivalence

'Proud that Singapore got an Olympic medal, but not of the way we did it.'
MR LEE KAI YIN: 'Am I proud that Singapore got an Olympic medal? Yes. But, I am not proud of the way we did it - through a team comprising imported foreign-born players, one of whom just got Singapore citizenship this year? My friend remarked that the final was actually a match between China 'A' and China 'B'. Junie Sng, Joscelin Yeo and Ang Peng Siong never won Olympic medals, but they generate warmth in my heart. When I think of Wang Yuegu, Li Jiawei and Feng Tianwei, I can think of only foreigners brought in by Singapore to win medals and are paid handsomely for it - Singapore's pragmatic way of problem solving. My challenge to the Singapore Table Tennis Association and other national sports associations: Do you have the plan and - more importantly, courage - to send an all-native Singaporean team, for the London Olympics in 2012?'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another PAPee dork...

Foreign talent scheme

'Surely a success, despite the occasional hiccup.'
MR QUEK YORK TONG: 'My heartfelt congratulations to Singapore for winning its second Olympic medal after a long, long wait. It proves that even though we are not getting the creme de la creme of the athletes from overseas, Singapore can achieve. This is surely a success of our foreign sports talent scheme, despite the occasional hiccup.'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This PRC $lut's heart lies in $ and her true homeland lah!

Feeble spirit

'We lost the battle before it was fought.'
MR BENNIE CHEOK: 'After overcoming South Korea to reach the final against China, Li Jiawei conceded defeat, reportedly saying: 'We fought today's contest as if it was the final. We won't win against China' She was correct in her prediction as Singapore went on to clinch silver. But it was disappointing for the team captain to demoralise her two team-mates by saying that China would win. The indomitable Olympic spirit was missing. We lost the battle before it was fought. Every Olympian should approach each game with a 'never-say-die attitude', and fight tooth and nail to win. A loss will even gain admiration from all, if the courage and determination are displayed.'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Harmsup Chia wanna embrace the PRC $luts woh!

'Embrace them as true Singaporeans.'
MR CHIA HEARN KOK: 'Let's not pour cold water on the hard-fought victory and the glory that our women's table tennis team has brought to Singapore. All three players, Li Jiawei, Wang Yuegu and Feng Tianwei, and coach Liu Guodong, deserve the nation's gratitude and admiration for doing Singapore proud. Let's embrace them as true Singaporeans.'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another PAPee dork...

Foreign talent scheme

'Surely a success, despite the occasional hiccup.'
MR QUEK YORK TONG: 'My heartfelt congratulations to Singapore for winning its second Olympic medal after a long, long wait. It proves that even though we are not getting the creme de la creme of the athletes from overseas, Singapore can achieve. This is surely a success of our foreign sports talent scheme, despite the occasional hiccup.'

Fxxx the 154th for misquoting Ah Tong until like this. See below:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=heading>Latest comments</TD></TR><TR><TD id=messageDisplayRegion width="100%"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE class=Post style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Hi all,

here is my original letter to the Forum:

"I wish to express my deepest and most heartfelt congratulations to Singapore for winning its second Olympic medal after a long long 43 years wait. This ended 43 years of intense hope, anticipation, disappointment, anguish and financial resources spent. More importantly, it proves that even though we are not getting the creme de la creme of the sports men and women from overseas (as reported in the Sunday Times 17 August, "The man behind the medal"), Singapore can achieve.

This is surely a success of our foreign talent scheme in sports, despite the occasional hiccup like when a national soccer player went AWOL around the world. After getting an Olympic medal, may be it is time that we revive our World Cup dream. Perhaps by using the lure of a Singapore passport, we can entice half or even the entire Brazilian football team to Singapore. We can spot the young talents in the streets of Rio de Janerio and groom them. Perhaps we can win a F1 race by applying the foreign talent scheme to top drivers. Perhaps we can venture into new events like cycling, skiiing and baseball. But before we go too far and high, let us hold our breathe and have a grip on our adrenalin. Do the ends justify the means? Would any self-respecting nation, sports man and woman derive any pride in this manner? "

WHICH HAS BEEN PUBLISHED AS:

'My heartfelt congratulations to Singapore for winning its second Olympic medal after a long, long wait. It proves that even though we are not getting the creme de la creme of the athletes from overseas, Singapore can achieve. This is surely a success of our foreign sports talent scheme, despite the occasional hiccup.'
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: sgeugene at Tue Aug 19 23:38:27 SGT 2008
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Another 66% coolie rice bowler?

What a night! Thank you, heroines
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_18OLYMPICS.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Singapore's emotional Olympic moment made possible by, from left, Wang Yuegu, Feng Tianwei and Li Jiawei, joyously displaying their silver medals. -- ST PHOTO: ALBERT SIM
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->SUNDAY night was a thrilling one for many Singaporeans. Thousands gathered around the island or just cuddled up in the comfort of their homes to watch the end of Singapore's medal drought, anticipating that our three table tennis stars would deliver a gold medal. Though China often dominated, our women table tennis team gave their all. Certainly, it was hard to watch them lose after coming so far. Tears welled up as I thought, next time, Singapore.
Our women's table tennis heroines deserve the congratulations from their fellow citizens.
As kiasu Singaporeans, we may feel somewhat sad, especially as we came so close to the prospect of winning Olympic gold.
Regardless, the Singapore team put up an extremely good fight; they showed the world the Singaporean spirit and what Singapore is made of.
I salute them. We have won silver, we have put up a good fight and we have finished the race.
As Singaporeans, let us unite as one and give our heartiest congratulations to our silver medallists.
Let's cast aside our feelings of having missed the gold. Remember, all that glitters needn't be gold.
To our women's table tennis team and coach, there is nothing more to say than a big thank you, for displaying the quintessential Singaporean spirit.
Looi Qin En

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/225803/looi_qin_en.html

Education/Experience: O levels
Interests: Writing, Playing the Saxophone
Motto: Give the Best, Value for Money
Affiliations: Catholic High School

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>So what if paddlers are China-born? They are true champions
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->WHILE we are all feeling happy about an Olympic medal finally, it is likely that many Singaporeans will downplay the significance of this silver medal in table tennis, because the players who attained it for Singapore are China-born. These could be the same people who cheered their hearts out on the day of the semi-finals, or people who didn't bother to watch because there weren't 'born-and- bred' Singaporeans.
I find it heart-wrenching that athletes who represent Singapore do not get as much support as they should, and face criticism, even after winning a medal. Our table tennis players are Singaporean, although they were born in China. This is a fact, otherwise they would not have been allowed to play for Singapore. I do hope Singaporeans do not make a habit of harping on the fact that it was 'China-born' who won for us, and not 'true Singaporeans'.
If someone really feels that foreign talent winning for us is not as glamorous, I hope he can be proud of Singapore for one reason. The United States and Canadian table-tennis teams include several China-born players, as does South Korea, which we just beat. However, it is only the foreign talent that Singapore has that is now the silver medallist in table tennis at the Olympics. Does this not show that Singapore's foreign talent scheme is working better than that of other countries and we provide better training and have better coaches?
I view all our athletes as representatives of Singapore, and I am proud of all of them. True Singaporeans support all the athletes who compete on behalf of our country in the Olympics, and support bonding of Singaporeans via the common aim of a medal. I hope this medal and the performance of all athletes in these Olympics will be a source of pride to all Singaporeans. I am very proud of our table tennis team for their hard work and fighting spirit during the semi-finals. Audrey Chia (Miss)

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another harmsuper!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Won over by Jiawei's tears
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->AS AN ordinary Singapore citizen who has been following the foreign talent scheme in sports saga, I am perturbed enough to question the way to achieve sports glory, especially the Olympics for Singapore.
Last Friday at about 6.15pm Singapore time, when the dream had been realised by the table tennis imported girls, I couldn't help but have a lump in my throat when I saw their determination during the nearly four-hour semi-final victory over South Korea. I have to mention here that I was finally won over only when I saw Li Jiawei shed tears. Was it to exorcise her own ability or just relief that she and her team-mates had finally realised a dream for this country named Singapore which had adopted them.
Whatever the reasons, I want to convey my congratulations and thanks to them for making history for Singapore because the Olympic medal they have won is the first history-making medal for Singapore since independence.
All the best and go for gold now, Jiawei, Tianwei and Yuegu.

Tan Kim Soon

http://namesdatabase.com/people/SOON/TAN KIM/3579459Tan Kim Soon

Class of 1998
Teck Whye Secondary School
Singapore

<!-- end of for each --><!-- Current Ratings : start --><!-- Current Ratings : end --><!-- vbbintegration : start -->