• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 'Gangsters' showing unwanted migrant workers the door in Singapore

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Though it pains me to quote Kirsten Han's article but I felt that this is important. I don't think this has improved and I suspect it is getting worse.

Why are we treating people who help make Singapore better in this manner. I am not referring to foreign talents that are allowed in freely and take away jobs and treat locals badly. I am also not talking about the trash that come in from China, join PAP to steal CPF, their life savings from the elderly. These are construction workers who reside in dormitories and are important for our economy.

MOM is practically useless. When the Tua Pek Kong scandal hit the papers nearly 15 years ago, they then acted but it has gone back to the same. I would suggest that every repatriation case to be cleared by an MOM officer. You cannot rely on repatriation agencies. These workers have incurred substantial debts to come over. The agents who handle them actually benefit from these repatriation as they will get additional commissions for the replacements.

I have no doubt that there are unproductive and poor workers among the and need to be repatriated but there has to be proper treatment of these cases. Even highly qualified and highly paid medical senior medical consultant and surgeon can treat a worker with complicated fracture as a mere digit to accommodate the employer can we expect the repatriation agency to act fairly.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...agents-gangsters-migrant-workers-door/7409844
'Gangsters' showing unwanted migrant workers the door in Singapore
By freelance correspondent Kirsten Han in Singapore
Posted about 4 hours ago

J Ravinthiran explains documents to a migrant worker
PHOTO: Repatriation company UTR Services repatriates 50 to 60 migrant workers a month. (Supplied: Tom White)
MAP: Singapore
Badsha Md is trying to make sense of everything he has been through.

Ten days ago the building worker found himself in Singapore's Changi Airport with a repatriation agent determined to put him on a plane to Bangladesh.

Only intervention by a volunteer from a migrant rights organisation kept him in the island nation.

"I still don't know why my boss wanted to send me back," he told ABC News.

Singapore is developing at a relentless pace, and construction work is seen as dirty and low on the social scale.

There is a dearth of citizens willing to take it on, so Singapore imports the workers.

There are more than 300,000 men like Badsha, from Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, and China, who build malls, train lines, roads, and skyscrapers.

While many see Singapore as a land of opportunity, migrant construction workers earn very low wages relative to the permanent population.

With their work permits tied to specific employers, they are also vulnerable to exploitation.

One of their biggest fears is "the gangster".

'The gangster was very angry, he was shouting'

Migrant workers ABC News spoke to referred to "gangsters" as the men who would forcibly send them home.

One worker described being woken up in the middle of the night and told to pack his things immediately.

For men who have paid up to $S10,000 (AUD $9,973) in agents' fees to secure employment in Singapore — the threat of being forced home is frightening.

"Employers don't use repatriation on a daily basis," Charan Bal, a researcher at Binus University in Jakarta, said.

"Typically they use repatriation threats, and then forced repatriation, to resolve employment disputes over wages, working conditions and work injuries. It's really an employer strategy to resolve employment disputes in their favour."

Badsha was driving a forklift when he hit a large hole in the road, jolting him heavily and leaving him with a pain in his back.

He said he had also not been fully paid.

"My boss said he would take me to the doctor the day after the accident, but he didn't," Badsha said.

"On the third day, I was asked to go to the office. Then in the afternoon the gangsters came."

Bangladeshi migrant worker Badsha Md
PHOTO: Bangladeshi migrant worker Badsha Md, who did not want to be identified, waits to file a complaint following an attempt to forcibly repatriate him. (Supplied: Tom White)
Badsha was then asked to sign papers he did not understand.

"The gangster was very angry, he was shouting. That's why I signed," he said.

The documents were in English — a language Badsha speaks with difficulty.

After signing, he was taken to his dorm, then to the repatriation agency until it was time to go to the airport.

While still at the agency, Badsha rang his brother, who then called the Humanitarian Organisation for Migration Economics (HOME).

Volunteer Kokila Annamalai headed to the airport to intercept the forced deportation.

"I tell Badsha 'it's time to go'," she wrote in an account on HOME's website.

"We start pushing the trolley with his luggage on it and the repatriation agent loses it.

"He physically restrains us, stops the trolley with his foot and shoves Badsha, grabbing his shoulder to hold him back, all this while trying to talk to the police on the phone."

Workers make false allegations to prolong their stay: UTR

The agent was from UTR Services, one of Singapore's established repatriation companies.

UTR's director, J Ravinthiran, who has been involved in this work since the late 1990s, rejected HOME's complaints.

He said Badsha had not been confined or held against his will.

He also claimed it is common for workers to make false allegations to prolong their stay in Singapore.

"Most of the companies use us to facilitate repatriation, because maybe they don't have the manpower or expertise to do it. There's nothing like needing to force the worker, or that we are so special we can make him go back," he said.

The company charges $S300 per man for their services.

If the job is called off when a worker is intercepted or tells authorities at the airport that he does not want to travel, UTR charges $S100 to $S150.

J Ravinthiran explaining documents
PHOTO: UTR Services director J Ravinthiran explains documents to a migrant worker about to be sent back to Bangladesh by his employer. (Supplied: Tom White)
According to Mr Ravinthiran, UTR repatriates 50 to 60 migrant workers each month.

That is a drop from the late 1990s — when he said he would repatriate up to 600 men a month.

"Today the workers know their rights," he said.

Repatriation services unregulated

Repatriation services remain unregulated in Singapore.

The Ministry of Manpower does occasionally investigate allegations of violence or illegal confinement.

"Even in the Parliament, now they don't have an idea," Mr Ravinthiran said.

"But we ourselves put in a request, it's good if you could regulate repatriation, what can be done, what cannot be done."

ABC News contacted the Ministry of Manpower for comment, but no response was provided.

Badsha now has a medical certificate from a doctor as proof of his back injury. He has also lodged a complaint with the Ministry and remains in Singapore pending an investigation.

There is no indication how long that will take, so Badsha waits, unable to work until his back heals.

"I don't know what to do," he said. "I can only wait and see."

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is an important article. Unfortunately the problem with Singapore employers mistreating migrant workers has been around for years, and MOM seems completely ineffectual. These are the key areas of abuse that have been identified:

(a) Migrant workers often pay substantial sum to a middle man just to get a job here and then spend months working off the debt. This is a cross jurisdiction problem as the middle man ripping them off is sometimes not Singaporean. Employers also get kickbacks and they are part of the problem. It is a system of modern day slavery.

(b) Substandard living conditions which are often unhygienic and cramped. This is well documented at TOC. The Govt has tried to address this but what is the progress on this front?

(c) Abuse by employers who cheat workers of their pay, make them do OT without compensation, overworking them, etc. HOME has a whole stack of very well documented cases.

(d) Forced repatriations when relationship between worker and employer go south. Often involves hiring third parties who use gangster-like tactics to intimidate workers not to seek help or mediation from the authorities, coupled with threats of being blacklisted.

As a people, Singaporeans have often confused the two very distinct issues of migrant workers being exploited/abused and white collar foreign workers (PMETs) stealing away jobs that could easily have been taken by a local. To a large extent, the govt has been responsible for conflating the two issues in Singaporeans' minds and that is how insidious they are. Its crucial people make the distinction and call the G out when the G tries to be funny and avoid addressing real issues faced by local PMETs by hiding behind this conflation.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I remember during the AWARE saga, Constance Singham and Breama Mathi said that the Josie group took copies of the research these two had been doing in the migrant worker exploitation situation in Singapore. The research was done in preparation for a special report to be submit to the UNHCR.

The two published a straits times forum letter on this just a day before the EOGM and the letter was very telling. It seemed to me then that getting their hands on the research data was a secondary objective of the hostile takeover.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to scroobal again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Thick Face Black Heart again.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with the points raised bro. And you are right that people are confused and struggling to make the difference. There is also a deeper issue and the press have been briefed not to dig too much. Its part of a long held legacy that only the Govt and its official rep NTUC are able to comment. Jurong Industrial Mission which Vincent Cheng and Tan Wah Piow and then the Nazareth Centre in Bukit Ho Swee run by a Carmelite nun. We all know what happened to Vincent and Wah Piow and in the case of the Nun, she used be called up by the ministers and scolded for organising workers and residents. In the end they pressured the Catholic to keep her at the Nunnery at Bt Theresa. Its basically a no go zone.

They should set up a panel of Justices of Peace (JP) to look into their condition. The same mechanism is used to ensure that our prisons and places like Boys Home are not open to abuse.

As a people, Singaporeans have often confused the two very distinct issues of migrant workers being exploited/abused and white collar foreign workers (PMETs) stealing away jobs that could easily have been taken by a local. To a large extent, the govt has been responsible for conflating the two issues in Singaporeans' minds and that is how insidious they are. Its crucial people make the distinction and call the G out when the G tries to be funny and avoid addressing real issues faced by local PMETs by hiding behind this conflation.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was Breama Mathi that was the rep and due to present her findings. Much of the work had been completed. Constance tried to mediate to no effect. Tells you what sort of people Josie and company are.

I remember during the AWARE saga, Constance Singham and Breama Mathi said that the Josie group took copies of the research these two had been doing in the migrant worker exploitation situation in Singapore. The research was done in preparation for a special report to be submit to the UNHCR.

The two published a straits times forum letter on this just a day before the EOGM and the letter was very telling. It seemed to me then that getting their hands on the research data was a secondary objective of the hostile takeover.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its really odd that an NGO called Acres that looks after the welfare of animals caught the attention of Shanmugam. He recruited Louise Ng to join PAP and the guy is now an MP. This week he raised a question in Parliament on why the law on Road Traffic requires motorist to notify owners of cow, goat etc if these animals are knocked down but why not cat and dog. Tells you the value the PAP places on humans.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its really odd that an NGO called Acres that looks after the welfare of animals caught the attention of Shanmugam. He recruited Louise Ng to join PAP and the guy is now an MP. This week he raised a question in Parliament on why the law on Road Traffic requires motorist to notify owners of cow, goat etc if these animals are knocked down but why not cat and dog. Tells you the value the PAP places on humans.

That Louis Ng fella seems an unusual candidate for puhlic office. Is he connected somehow to influential people or a scion of a fabulously wealthy family? Can you imagine the faces of grassroot volunteers working for this tool during MPS? :rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grew up in semi-D in Yio Chu Kang, upper middle class family. Not connected to anyone until he went to do volunteer work at Chong Pang and met PAP MPs and Shanmugam. Shanmugam became very interested in animals and I think the latter organised forums on this with Louise's help. Wife is British and her links to the large expat Ang Mo community in Singapore had helped ACRES grow. Big operation with lots of staff. This guy is totally dedicated to his course and credit to him. Just not sure why a PAP candidate. Anyway, Shanmugam is now connected to the expat Ang Mo community especially the wives and kids.

Hopefully one day Shanmugam might show some interest in local human welfare.

That Louis Ng fella seems an unusual candidate for puhlic office. Is he connected somehow to influential people or a scion of a fabulously wealthy family? Can you imagine the faces of grassroot volunteers working for this tool during MPS? :rolleyes: