• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fuck You Hyflux

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just nationalise hyflux. Wats the big deal? Why cant all these water assets be controlled and operated by PUB? Wasnt it done that way before? We aleady paying soo much for our water at least if the water is supplied via desalination and recycled water it will deflect from the 3 Sen water issue.

Correct me if I am wrong,
I recall that a minister told us in the past before that our water pricing is based on the assumption that we fully depend on desalination.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correct me if I am wrong,
I recall that a minister told us in the past before that our water pricing is based on the assumption that we fully depend on desalination.
So if it's fully desalinated we will no have to pay anymore? I want to point out of hate paying more than I should for anything. And yes the Pappies have ripped Singkies off. But Singkies do waste alot of water despite high prices. I seen families who mop the damn floor everyday. When makan use a 101 plates instead of consolidating..and wash car everyday..if water soo expensive..everyone will be cutting down use n not wasting it in such an unproductive manner. If the pap is serious about being self sufficient in water than it should introduce a quota scheme dedicated to each household. If they use within the quota they pay a low rate. If they use less than allocated etc they get rebate. If they use above quota the extra they pay much more. So that way more households will be more water wise. And the savers get rewarded and wasters get penalised. Its high time pap stop raising prices for everything to make a point where by the ones that suffer are the low end of the spectrum.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
better not. too heavy and leaky. tough to maintain. and every sinkie peasant and coolie will want their rooftop infinity pools like at mbs.
Pap very obsessed with water...why dont encourage the use of dish washing machine? In ang mor lands they are in most households and all appliance stores sells them. In Ozland one cost about 500bucks but in Singkieland have to get them at speciality shops and they all cost more than 1k. HDB kitchens should be designed with a dish washer in mind... world class gahmen indeed..
Dishwasher vs. hand-washing: What saves more water?
Using your dishwasher is more Earth-friendly. Here's why.
Alina Bradford mugshot
by Alina Bradford
March 7, 2017 5:00 AM PST
scraping dishes before putting them in dishwasher
Scrape, but don't rinse your dishes.
Alina Bradford/CNET
It may be hard to believe, but a big electricity-using dishwasher is a greener choice than hand washing your dishes, if it is a newer model and you're washing full loads. So put away the sponge and take a look at these mind-blowing facts.

How much water does a dishwasher use?

This may appear impossible since it seems like dishwashers are constantly spraying water, but a newer one does use less water than hand washing. Getting them clean in the sink can use up to 27 gallons of water per load. An Energy Star certified dishwasher can use as little as 3 gallons per load (around 11 litres), according to the Natural Resources Defense Council. In fact, an Energy Star certified dishwasher can save almost 5,000 gallons of water per year.

How new does your dishwasher need to be to get these savings? In 2013, new standards were put in place that required dishwashers to use as much as 5 gallons per load. On the other hand, units built before 1994 can waste more than 10 gallons of water per load.

How dishwashers save energy

This one may be even harder to believe than the water-saving fact, but it's true. Think about it. Your water heater needs to make hot water for you to wash dishes by hand. Most newer dishwashers have heaters inside that warm up water more efficiently than your water heater. Overall, if it is Energy Star certified, it can use less than half the energy of washing dishes by hand.

And don't rinse by hand

Rinsing your dishes before you stick them in your dishwasher is majorly wasteful. According to Consumer Reports, prerinsing wastes more than 6,000 gallons of water per household every year. Most newer dishwashers can handle bits of food, so don't worry. Your dishes will still come clean as long as you scrape the big stuff into the trash.

Make sure you have a full load, though

These savings only apply to full loads. If you can't seem to fill up your dishwasher once a day, use the rinse and hold feature, if it has one. This will prevent food from drying and sticking until you get around to starting a load and will still help you be green.

A note for the holdouts

Still don't want to put your dishes' fate in the hands of a machine even though it's good for the environment? Consider this: It takes water that is 140 or 145 degrees Fahrenheit (60 to 62.7 degrees Celsius) to fully sanitize dishes. Your hands just can't handle that, and I'm guessing you don't want to turn up the heat setting on your water heater every time you wash dishes, either. So, let your dishwasher deal with the high temperatures while you sit back and relax.

10 hacks to keep your kitchen spotless
See comments
TAGS

Appliances Dishwashers
DIY TECH

How to tips and tricks for getting the most out of all your tech delivered to your inbox.

Add your email

I have read and agree to the CBS Interactive Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. I understand I will receive the CNET newsletter(s) I'm signing up for. I can opt out at any time.

TECH TODAY

MORE FROM APPLIANCES

How to buy scratch and dent appliances: Your buying guide

by Brian Bennett
The strangest deals we saw on Amazon Prime Day 2018

by Jessica Learish
7 smart home gadgets way ahead of their time

by Ry Crist
Reliable's tiny Ovo iron and steamer helps your clothes stay sharp on the go

by Brian Bennett
MORE FROM CNET

Nest CEO steps down after employees pushed for his exit

by Richard Nieva
EU hits Google with record $5 billion fine over Android antitrust practices

by Katie Collins
Samsung Galaxy S10 to go ultrasonic? Here's an early look at its likely fingerprint reader

by Roger Cheng
Despite glitches, Amazon Prime Day 2018 manages another record

by Ben Fox Rubin
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
CNET may get a commission from retail offers.
© CBS INTERACTIVE INC. All Rights Reserved.
About CNET Download the CNET app Privacy Policy Ad Choice Terms of Use Mobile User Agreement Help Center

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bloomberg News: Hyflux got 8 interested buyers for Tuaspring but none got approval from PUB yet.
If insufficient time to seal deal, will renegotiate extension with Maybank.

PUB FUCKS HYFLUX!!!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pap very obsessed with water...why dont encourage the use of dish washing machine? In ang mor lands they are in most households and all appliance stores sells them. In Ozland one cost about 500bucks but in Singkieland have to get them at speciality shops and they all cost more than 1k. HDB kitchens should be designed with a dish washer in mind... world class gahmen indeed..
Dishwasher vs. hand-washing: What saves more water?
Using your dishwasher is more Earth-friendly. Here's why.
Alina Bradford mugshot
by Alina Bradford
March 7, 2017 5:00 AM PST
scraping dishes before putting them in dishwasher
Scrape, but don't rinse your dishes.
Alina Bradford/CNET
It may be hard to believe, but a big electricity-using dishwasher is a greener choice than hand washing your dishes, if it is a newer model and you're washing full loads. So put away the sponge and take a look at these mind-blowing facts.

How much water does a dishwasher use?

This may appear impossible since it seems like dishwashers are constantly spraying water, but a newer one does use less water than hand washing. Getting them clean in the sink can use up to 27 gallons of water per load. An Energy Star certified dishwasher can use as little as 3 gallons per load (around 11 litres), according to the Natural Resources Defense Council. In fact, an Energy Star certified dishwasher can save almost 5,000 gallons of water per year.

How new does your dishwasher need to be to get these savings? In 2013, new standards were put in place that required dishwashers to use as much as 5 gallons per load. On the other hand, units built before 1994 can waste more than 10 gallons of water per load.

How dishwashers save energy

This one may be even harder to believe than the water-saving fact, but it's true. Think about it. Your water heater needs to make hot water for you to wash dishes by hand. Most newer dishwashers have heaters inside that warm up water more efficiently than your water heater. Overall, if it is Energy Star certified, it can use less than half the energy of washing dishes by hand.

And don't rinse by hand

Rinsing your dishes before you stick them in your dishwasher is majorly wasteful. According to Consumer Reports, prerinsing wastes more than 6,000 gallons of water per household every year. Most newer dishwashers can handle bits of food, so don't worry. Your dishes will still come clean as long as you scrape the big stuff into the trash.

Make sure you have a full load, though

These savings only apply to full loads. If you can't seem to fill up your dishwasher once a day, use the rinse and hold feature, if it has one. This will prevent food from drying and sticking until you get around to starting a load and will still help you be green.

A note for the holdouts

Still don't want to put your dishes' fate in the hands of a machine even though it's good for the environment? Consider this: It takes water that is 140 or 145 degrees Fahrenheit (60 to 62.7 degrees Celsius) to fully sanitize dishes. Your hands just can't handle that, and I'm guessing you don't want to turn up the heat setting on your water heater every time you wash dishes, either. So, let your dishwasher deal with the high temperatures while you sit back and relax.

10 hacks to keep your kitchen spotless
See comments
TAGS

Appliances Dishwashers
DIY TECH

How to tips and tricks for getting the most out of all your tech delivered to your inbox.

Add your email

I have read and agree to the CBS Interactive Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. I understand I will receive the CNET newsletter(s) I'm signing up for. I can opt out at any time.

TECH TODAY

MORE FROM APPLIANCES

How to buy scratch and dent appliances: Your buying guide

by Brian Bennett
The strangest deals we saw on Amazon Prime Day 2018

by Jessica Learish
7 smart home gadgets way ahead of their time

by Ry Crist
Reliable's tiny Ovo iron and steamer helps your clothes stay sharp on the go

by Brian Bennett
MORE FROM CNET

Nest CEO steps down after employees pushed for his exit

by Richard Nieva
EU hits Google with record $5 billion fine over Android antitrust practices

by Katie Collins
Samsung Galaxy S10 to go ultrasonic? Here's an early look at its likely fingerprint reader

by Roger Cheng
Despite glitches, Amazon Prime Day 2018 manages another record

by Ben Fox Rubin
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
CNET may get a commission from retail offers.
© CBS INTERACTIVE INC. All Rights Reserved.
About CNET Download the CNET app Privacy Policy Ad Choice Terms of Use Mobile User Agreement Help Center
dishwasher is a good idea but not practical in sg among heartlander peasants and coolies. the new energy-saving models use only a few gallons of water per wash and they have electric coils at the bottom to heat up water. with stainless steel panels on the inside, the washer emits very low noise during washing and rinsing cycles. i have a bosch model and it does a great job. but it works most efficiently with power and water during a full load. and how many full loads are there per 6.9-day week? for me, full load is once for more than a month as i entertain 6.9 guests every 6.9 weeks. in between i just wash dishes in the sink as more often than not i eat out and if i cook at home there's only a few dishes plus pot and pan to wash. to save water while washing dishes in sink, my trick is not only to scrape dishes, pots and pans pre-wash but also wipe them with a wet paper towel before washing. just wiping them with wet paper towel pre-wash can offer several water-saving measures: better than rinse as wet wipes remove grease and oil more effectively than rinsing with water, remove guck and sticky bits, pre-clean dishes, pots and pans about 69%, absorb sauces, stains, spills without use of water, and can dispose of wet wipes into bin. this is also useful when using the dishwasher, as guck and bits of food are eliminated from the well of the dishwasher altogether. the problem with dishwasher is that rinsed and washed food residue can accumulate in the well and drain pipe and choke up your plumbing over time. you also have to have an air gap to vent the dishwasher separately from the drain pipe. another trick of mine is to keep a large pail in one side of my dual-sink while washing dishes. 69% of the water used to rinse and wash dishes are poured into pail. the water in pail is then used for plants and shrubs in the yard. i also have large trash cans at gutter pipes to collect rain water during the rainy season. for toilet flushing i follow the water-saving routine: "when it's yellow keep it mellow, when it's brown flush it down". i learn all these tricks and extraordinary measures during the drought that lasted for about 6.9 years, and it's still in drought stage this year. we get penalized jialat jialat ($$$) when water rationing is in effect.

sinkies are not disciplined and incentivized to use all these water-saving appliances and measures unless water use and abuse hurt their pockets and wallets in a big way. most eat out much of the time, thanks to cheap and convenient hawker food, so there's hardly any frequent "full load" for dishwashers at home. and knowing sinkies they will actually use more water with a dishwasher as they would not only rinse but wash their dishes 100% clean before keeping them in the dishwasher either for storage or for another wash. sinkies must be penalized jialat jialat ($$$) for going above a typical allotment of water use per home (like in california during the drought) before they feel the pinch. with maids at home 6.9 days per week water use in sg is even worse as maids (and imported nehs) are extremely heavy consumers of water. they have never experienced "clean" water from tap in their home cuntries and when they live in sg they abuse that benefit and privilege. my fob ah neh tenant in sillycon valley takes a shower twice a day as she is fascinated by the clean tap water and she doesn't pay for water on her utility bill as water use for the home is shared with all as part of hoa fees (as there's a common swimming pool and common sprinklers in the courtyard). these 3rd world peasants and coolies take water for granted and think it's free. time to charge sinkies for water by the way they use it and metering each household main ingress pipe. they way they increase rates for everyone will only mean that those who can easily pay for the increase can still wash their $696k cars every 6.9 days per week shiok shiok by ordering their maids to do so.

Last edited:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
TheFap only int in washing marnee for high net worth crooks like rosmah jibby, thugsin, jlow n themselves, zero water used

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed. It will never go to Maybank. Looking specifically at CPF money alone, it is a great way of transferring ....
The money does not come from sp group but a sg inc. Entity, maybank may b only doing factoring.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
dishwasher is a good idea but not practical in sg among heartlander peasants and coolies. the new energy-saving models use only a few gallons of water per wash and they have electric coils at the bottom to heat up water. with stainless steel panels on the inside, the washer emits very low noise during washing and rinsing cycles. i have a bosch model and it does a great job. but it works most efficiently with power and water during a full load. and how many full loads are there per 6.9-day week? for me, full load is once for more than a month as i entertain 6.9 guests every 6.9 weeks. in between i just wash dishes in the sink as more often than not i eat out and if i cook at home there's only a few dishes plus pot and pan to wash. to save water while washing dishes in sink, my trick is not only to scrape dishes, pots and pans pre-wash but also wipe them with a wet paper towel before washing. just wiping them with wet paper towel pre-wash can offer several water-saving measures: better than rinse as wet wipes remove grease and oil more effectively than rinsing with water, remove guck and sticky bits, pre-clean dishes, pots and pans about 69%, absorb sauces, stains, spills without use of water, and can dispose of wet wipes into bin. this is also useful when using the dishwasher, as guck and bits of food are eliminated from the well of the dishwasher altogether. the problem with dishwasher is that rinsed and washed food residue can accumulate in the well and drain pipe and choke up your plumbing over time. you also have to have an air gap to vent the dishwasher separately from the drain pipe. another trick of mine is to keep a large pail in one side of my dual-sink while washing dishes. 69% of the water used to rinse and wash dishes are poured into pail. the water in pail is then used for plants and shrubs in the yard. i also have large trash cans at gutter pipes to collect rain water during the rainy season. for toilet flushing i follow the water-saving routine: "when it's yellow keep it mellow, when it's brown flush it down". i learn all these tricks and extraordinary measures during the drought that lasted for about 6.9 years, and it's still in drought stage this year. we get penalized jialat jialat ($$$) when water rationing is in effect.

sinkies are not disciplined and incentivized to use all these water-saving appliances and measures unless water use and abuse hurt their pockets and wallets in a big way. most eat out much of the time, thanks to cheap and convenient hawker food, so there's hardly any frequent "full load" for dishwashers at home. and knowing sinkies they will actually use more water with a dishwasher as they would not only rinse but wash their dishes 100% clean before keeping them in the dishwasher either for storage or for another wash. sinkies must be penalized jialat jialat ($$$) for going above a typical allotment of water use per home (like in california during the drought) before they feel the pinch. with maids at home 6.9 days per week water use in sg is even worse as maids (and imported nehs) are extremely heavy consumers of water. they have never experienced "clean" water from tap in their home cuntries and when they live in sg they abuse that benefit and privilege. my fob ah neh tenant in sillycon valley takes a shower twice a day as she is fascinated by the clean tap water and she doesn't pay for water on her utility bill as water use for the home is shared with all as part of hoa fees (as there's a common swimming pool and common sprinklers in the courtyard). these 3rd world peasants and coolies take water for granted and think it's free. time to charge sinkies for water by the way they use it and metering each household main ingress pipe. they way they increase rates for everyone will only mean that those who can easily pay for the increase can still wash their $696k cars every 6.9 days per week shiok shiok by ordering their maids to do so.
Can buy the half size dishwashing machine. Actually it's 2 half size machines that some Ozland familiar use. If it's less dishes they use one. N large pots n pans also fit. If they entertain guests. They just use both machines. Still a time n resources saviour.

Choose
Home > Technology > Guide > Buyer's guide: Dishwashers

Buyer's guide: Dishwashers

100 back pocket money
Last updated on 13 May 2015
APPARENTLY once you've used a dishwasher, you can never go back.

It's more than the thought of never having to spend your evenings up to the elbows in dishwater again; they also make kitchens look far tidier - there's no more excuse for dirty mugs and cutlery to be left lying around.

Some of the factors to be considered when buying a dishwasher are the same as, or very similar to, issues anyone buying a washing machine should think about - size, efficiency, the programmes on offer.

But unless you've a lot of crystal glassware there's not as much call for delicate programmes; it's more likely you'll be looking for speed washes or the ability to cope with the pots and pans from a full-on Sunday roast or similar.

So here's our guide to the top things you should consider when buying a dishwasher.

1. Size

What to consider
The bigger the dishwasher, the more efficient it is when full
Slimline machines balance neater size with reasonable capacity
Compact machines good for kitchens with limited floor space; also good for one- or two-person households
Dishwashers come in three general sizes: full size, slimline and compact.

Full size dishwashers are, like other white goods, up to about 60 cm wide and 85 cm tall. Therefore, like washing machines and fridges, they should fit fairly easily in the standard kitchen - as long as there's a slot or free space for them, and suitable plumbing options. They have the most capacity, and they tend to be the most energy efficient.

If space is a little tighter, consider a slimline model. These are the same height, but tend to be less than 45 cm wide and often a little less deep. They're not as efficient as full size machines and obviously can't take as many dirty dishes, but they can still cope with a couple of days' worth of plates and cups.

If there's no floor space but lots of counter room, consider a compact machine. These vary in width, with some being almost as wide as a standard dishwasher, but they're all much shorter. In fact, some are designed to fit in the space taken by a large kitchen drawer.

But counter-top dishwashers are much more common. They have the advantage that you don't have to bend down to load and unload them - but that's balanced by the very much smaller loads they can take.

While washing machines often live in utility rooms, it's far more convenient for a dishwasher to be in the kitchen. So if space is tight, or there's nowhere to move the washing machine to in order to free up that space for the dishwasher, consider one of the smaller options.

In all three cases, the door will invariably open downwards. To be able to load and unload the machine, you'll need to be able to lie that door flat - so consider how much horizontal space you'll need in front of the machine as well when sizing them up.

2. Number of place settings

What to consider
Full size machines generally take up to 120 items; some can take up to 150
Compact machines can only cope with between 40 and 60 items - not ideal for more than the smallest households
Full size machines can be difficult for smaller households to fill
This is the posh way of telling us what capacity the machine has. A "place setting" consists of 10 items: one each of a knife, fork, soup spoon, dessert spoon and teaspoon, dinner plate, soup and dessert plates, tumbler, tea cup and saucer.

Most of us don't eat in such a prescribed way. Bear in mind that the different plates should translate into cereal bowls and so on, but it's likely you'll need more mug or glass space than a traditional place setting allows for.

So some machines will be described as having place settings, others will talk about the number of items - but they're all based around the idea of that list.

Full size machines will take at least 12 place settings or 120 items, with some taking up to 150. Slimline machines will cope with up to 100 items. Compact machines really are limited, coping with four to six place settings at the most.

3. Adjustable layouts

What to consider
Cutlery baskets should be removable
Look for prongs that can be laid flat
Check whether the upper rack can be moved up or down
What can boost a machine's capacity, though, is how flexible the layout inside it is. Pay particular attention to the top rack and how cutlery is dealt with.

Most machines will come with at least one cutlery basket, designed to hold items separate so no part of them can escape the wash. The basket should be removable, so larger items like serving dishes or pots and pans can fit in instead.

Some of the prongs may also fold down, allowing for further flexibility when it comes to

Some machines have cutlery drawers or racks, which sit above the main upper drawer. They can be fiddlier than just being able to throw spoons in the general direction of a basket, but they do free up space in the lower racks. They're also useful for bigger pieces of cutlery, like serving spoons or kitchen knives.

The main upper rack is usually the one designated for cups, glasses and so on. Check whether it can be moved up to allow for bigger items below, or down to allow for wine glasses and the like.

4. Programmes

What to consider
All should offer basic wash, heavy soil, and a quick or light wash
More expensive machines will have "sensor" modes
Look into how the eco modes work
What child safety features does the dishwasher offer?
Dishwashers are far less complicated than washing machines when it comes to the type of programmes we can expect.

Most will offer a standard wash, a quick or light option, and one for heavy soiling - designed to cope with oven-baked dishes rather than welded on culinary disasters.

As well as, or instead of the quick wash option, some may offer an "eco" setting. Check what exactly that means: lower temperature, shorter wash time, less water used, or load sensing?

On more expensive machines this feature is more likely to be referred to as a sensor or intelligent setting, as the machine will assess how dirty the water coming off the dishes is, and adjust the cycle accordingly.

Bear in mind too that while the "eco" wash might take longer, it may well be washing the dishes differently than the standard wash.

Say, for example, that the standard wash takes 60 minutes, uses 20 litres of water and requires 1.5 kWh of electricity.

By comparison, the eco wash takes 90 minutes - but it uses less water, heats it to a lower temperature, and relies on the longer wash time to remove the dirt - so it only uses 15 litres of water and 1.0 kWh of energy.

Also worth finding out is whether the programmes include drying time, and whether this can be overridden. For example, the quick wash might involve 30 minutes of washing and 30 minutes of drying time.

If you open the dishwasher after the wash part of the programme has finished, in order to let the dishes air dry, or towel them off yourself, will the machine "forget" that it had time left on that programme, or will it pick up where it left off when you restart it?

Most machines will offer some kind of delay timer. This has as many uses as you need it to, from taking advantage of Economy 7 rates, to giving you the smug feeling that comes from timing it so your plates are clean - and warm - for dinnertime.

Families should consider what sort of child safety feature they want.

Most machines offer some form of lock or cut-out so there won't be any disasters caused by opening the machine mid-cycle.

Others can lock out programme changes once the machine has started - so small people can't subject wine glasses and good crockery to a wash more fitting for the Sunday roast pans.

5. Energy efficiency

What to consider
Higher rated machines use less energy
Full size dishwashers are more efficient than smaller models
Full machines will always be more efficient
In 2011 the energy ratings used by the EU were subtly adjusted to take account of the improving efficiency of all our appliances. Anyone buying a brand new machine will find they're rated from D up to A+++.

The letter rating corresponds to a number called the Energy Efficiency Index (EEI), which itself refers to the amount of electricity the machine uses during a year, based on being used for 280 full wash cycles and any energy consumed during standby mode.

For a dishwasher with a capacity of 12 place settings, an EEI of 100 means the machine uses 462 kWh per year.

This is at the bottom of the energy efficiency scale; D-rated machines have an EEI of more than 90. At the other end of the scale A+++ machines have an EEI of less than 50:

Energy rating A+++ A++ A+ A B C D
EEI <50 <56 <63 <71 <80 <90 >90
But "more efficient" shouldn't be confused with "cleans best".

As explained above, dishwasher efficiency is based on the amount of energy it uses - but if the machine is set up right and the plates come out with traces of breakfast still on them, it's not truly efficient.

The energy efficiency label will also tell you:

energy consumption per standard cycle, in kWh
water consumption per standard cycle, in litres
how loud the machine is, in decibels
Larger machines are always more efficient than slimline or compact models - as long as they're used when full. Running a half load programme will not use half the energy or water; it's more like 75% of each.

That said, anyone bothered about the efficiency of a dishwasher compared to washing by hand should relax: a full size dishwasher can clean 120 items - including 60 plates or bowls - with a maximum of two washing up bowls full of water.

Compact and slimline dishwashers aren't quite as efficient, but they can still beat getting out the marigolds and scrubbing brush.

6. Life span

What to consider
Cheaper models may only last around three years
Average life span for mid-range models is five to 10 years
More expensive models can and will last far longer
As we explain more in our guide to washing machines - here - it's technically wrong to think of appliances having life spans in years. They're designed and built with parts that have expected minimum times to failure (MTF), which are measured in hours.

The Whitegoods Trade Association says cheaper brands are often made using parts with an MTF of as little as 600 hours, while higher quality components and the products they're used in can be expected to last more than 15 times that long before failing - but they won't cost 15 times as much.

It's not always the case that cheaper machines will die sooner, but it's a good rule of thumb - after all, economies of scale can only account for so much.

Another trade site, UK Whitegoods, has the sage if somewhat alarming advice that a decent dishwasher should cost at least £400 - any cheaper and it won't do the job properly, or it'll need replacing very quickly.

Look at the guarantees offered by the manufacturers as well, as these will give a good indication of confidence in the components and workmanship. Most offer guarantees of one or two years; those who make more durable machines will offer guarantees of five years - sometimes even 10.

7. Warranties

What to consider
Offer peace of mind, but can be expensive
Retailer warranties often not honoured if the manufacturer guarantee is still valid
Equal protection
Bear in mind this kind of information when thinking about whether or not to buy a warranty.

They do offer peace of mind, and will sometimes cover things like accidental damage - which a guarantee won't - but they can be somewhat expensive.

Particularly with cheaper appliances, a decent warranty can cost a sizeable proportion of the retail price. Bear in mind too, that warranties often favour repairs over replacements, so if something does go wrong, you might be waiting a while for your dishwasher to be fixed.

Then consumer law offers a considerable amount of protection against faulty appliances, as does using a credit card to pay for the purchase. There's more on extended warranties and whether they're worth it, in this guide.

Finally, remember that the kind of standalone warranty offered by retailers (as opposed to those offered by the manufacturer) often won't be honoured should the product still be under guarantee.

In Summary

There you have it - a list of the most important things to think about when looking for a new dishwasher.

We can't tell you whether or not a particular model is any good, but you should now be in the position where you can narrow down the field for yourself - then get on with enjoying softer hands, freer evenings and tidier draining boards.

Size The bigger the dishwasher, the more efficient it is when full

Slimline machines balance neater size with reasonable capacity

Compact machines good for kitchens with limited floor space; also good for one- or two-person households
Capacity Full size machines generally take up to 120 items; some can take up to 150

Compact machines can only cope with between 40 and 60 items - not ideal for more than the smallest households

Full size machines can be difficult for smaller households to fill
Adaptable layouts Cutlery baskets should be removable

Look for prongs that can be laid flat

Check whether the upper rack can be moved up or down
Programmes All should offer basic wash, heavy soil, and a quick or light wash

More expensive machines will have "sensor" modes

Look into how the eco modes work

What child safety features does the dishwasher offer?
Energy efficiency Higher rated machines use less energy

Full size dishwashers are more efficient than smaller models

Full machines will always be more efficient
Life span Cheaper models may only last around three years

Average life span for mid-range models is five to 10 years

More expensive models can and will last far longer
Warranties Offer peace of mind, but can be expensive

Retailer warranties often not honoured if the manufacturer guarantee is still valid

Equal protection offered via consumer law and home insurance

Twitter logo Facebook logo Google logo Mail logo
Comments
independent comparison
We are independent and offer whole of market comparison (where we can).
fair comparison
We order our comparison tables by price or feature and never by referral revenue.
charity donations
We donate at least 5% of our profits to charity.
Right chevron Read more about the Choose Promise
Latest Guides

Technology
DESTEK V4 review

Technology
Fitbit Charge 2 review: A reliable everyday fitness tracker

Technology
360 Camera Review: Ricoh Theta V versus Samsung Gear 360
Latest News

Technology
Amazon announce new waterproof Kindle Oasis

Technology
Google reject EU criticisms of comparison search results

Technology
Morrisons cut prices, but don't expect a price war
Be social

Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Google Logo Mail Logo
As seen on

Wired LogoGuardian Logo
Mashable LogoTechCrunch Logo
About us
The Choose promise
Contact us
How we work
Terms
Privacy
Cookie Policy
© 2018 Choose Ltd. All rights reserved.
Choose Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (reference number 729184). Choose Ltd does not charge any fees in relation to Credit Broking activities.

Last edited:

ChokBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good morning, did anyone attend the townhall meeting last night?

I read some articles on BT and ST about the townhall meeting. I attended and wish to share about some hints that they made. I believe the truth is in the hints.

1. Sales of Tuaspring - GLCs are also our competitors all these years
I sensed some helplessness when the management spoke on this subject It hinted that PUB's approved buyers (so far) are unfriendly competitors (GLC???) who will not pay a good price. At this moment, foreign buyers are not even granted access to Tuaspring's data. Logically, foreigners are likely to offer a better price for Hyflux.

2. Strategic Investor/s in Hyflux - When asked about government being the white knight
Olivia didn't sound willing to let go of her control over Hyflux. She expressed her desire to bring Hyflux back to her former glory (citing the sole failure in Tuaspring, versus over a hundred successful completed projects overseas).

3. Repeatedly, Olivia apologized and expressed her desire to protect minority stakeholders
At least, it hinted about the principal protection for debt holders.

4. Maybank and PUB screwed them up.
Maybank threatened to initiate the margin-call which caused Hyflux to seek court protection and default.
PUB is the hinderance because they have not approved foreign buyers (cut the crap about Tuaspring being a strategic national asset, it's more than our country trying to swallow Hyflux cheaply)

5. SIAS recommends that minority stakeholders actively engage their MPs.
It hinted that the government has many roles to play in this saga. PUB held Hyflux hostage. Hyflux cannot get a proper fair market price when PUB restricts foreign involvement.

Local news widely censored the above.
Honestly, last night was a waste of time, no tangible progress reported, just sorry and sorry.

Last edited:

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Sales of Tuaspring - GLCs are also our competitors all these years
I sensed some helplessness when the management spoke on this subject It hinted that PUB's approved buyers (so far) are unfriendly competitors (GLC???) who will not pay a good price. At this moment, foreign buyers are not even granted access to Tuaspring's data. Logically, foreigners are likely to offer a better price for Hyflux.

Local news widely censored the above.

Lum denied speculation that Singapore's government would support Hyflux's restructuring effort, saying "we are a private-sector company."
https://asia.nikkei.com/Asia300/Debt-laden-Hyflux-lines-up-buyers-for-Singapore-water-plant

Of course your competitors want to see you die harder when you are in trouble.

Alfrescian
Loyal
2. Strategic Investor/s in Hyflux - When asked about government being the white knight
Olivia didn't sound willing to let go of her control over Hyflux.

Even Noble didn't manage to convert her bond and perpetual bond debts to equity because they expect debtholders to take a 85-95% write down. Not fair right?

If convert, go for Dollar-for-dollar, Hyflux's debtholders are 25times bigger than ordinary shares last traded market cap. It means that debtholders should control 25/26 of the company (95%), you think Olivia will agree? Might as well throw in the towel.

Debtholders can kiss goodbye to their money

ChokBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lum denied speculation that Singapore's government would support Hyflux's restructuring effort, saying "we are a private-sector company."
https://asia.nikkei.com/Asia300/Debt-laden-Hyflux-lines-up-buyers-for-Singapore-water-plant

Of course your competitors want to see you die harder when you are in trouble.

That night, Sias told us twice to air our grievances, find MPs, etc.

I don't know how useful it will be but we should made ourselves heard on social media at least. As an attendee, I can vouch that Olivia hinted that GLCs have no goodwill and no obligation to help. Olivia clearly hinted that GLCs are more like vultures trying to take advantage of Hyflux using PUB to hinder foreign prospects.

ChokBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore and Malaysia’s troubled waters
https://asiancorrespondent.com/2018/07/singapore-and-malaysias-troubled-waters/

2018-07-20T083405Z_1067105987_RC19096F1BD0_RTRMADP_3_SINGAPORE-WATER-940x580.jpg

In the early years of independence Singapore’s founding father, Lee Kuan Yew, promised conflict if Malaysia did not guarantee a reliable water supply. Singapore will follow through with all means at its disposal if Malaysia turns the tide on the WA in ways that undermine the sovereign independence of Singapore. Balakrishnan further highlighted Singapore’s supply of treated water to Malaysia, reminding Mahathir that his country buys treated water from Singapore at preferential rates under the WA, and that Singapore, too, can raise prices. This is perhaps the most explicit statement of how Singapore will retaliate against Mahathir’s attempt to raise the price of water sold to Singapore.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
These are current tariffs for water and electricity in Thailand (from their website) and I wonder how it compare to Singapore. (Notice water price did not change for almost 20 years)

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.38.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.36.10 PM.png