• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreign ‘talents’ are often of inferior quality

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Foreign ‘talents’ are often of inferior quality[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
January 3rd, 2014 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Editorial

ST_20131231_ATLANKA31_3980094e-300x170.jpg
Sri Lankan construction workers. (Photo: ST)

In the course of working with foreigners, Singaporeans have gradually discovered that many of their foreign co-workers are no “talents” at all.
In fact, a lot of the foreigners are employed either because they are cheaper or because their hirers are of the “same kind”.

Sometimes there is even side-income to be made from recruiting foreigners (‘I sacked 6 pinoys and 1 Indian national!‘).
In any case, the quality of hiring is severely compromised.

Now, the Straits Times has reported that Sri Lankan construction workers are struggling to maintain their brand name, 4 months after arriving in Singapore (‘Sri Lankan construction workers taking time to adjust’, 31 Dec).
Apparently, the new Sri Lankan hires are a disappointment. Employers are complaining that their work is not up to the mark and they struggle to adapt to Singapore’s fast pace.

“We set a deadline of a day for three workers to hack a 1.2m- by-3m wall in a hawker centre. But the Sri Lankan workers were not able to finish in time,” said Yang Seng Engineering operations manager Chang Chee Kit.
Mr Chang, who hires about 20 Sri Lankans on work permit, nevertheless said, “They are not there yet but I can see they are trying their best.”

Where S-Pass and Employment Pass holders are concerned, the standard or quality of their qualifications – even for those with genuine qualifications (some have fake qualifications) – is often questionable.

In the QS World University Rankings 2013 [Link] for the top 400 universities in the world, only the universities of the following countries feature in the top 400:

Philippines

• 380th University of the Philippines
India

• 222nd Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
  • 233rd Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
  • 295th Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
  • 313rd Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
  • 346th Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
China

• 46th Peking University
  • 48th Tsinghua University
  • 88th Fudan University
  • 123rd Shanghai Jiao Tong University
  • 165th Zhejiang University
  • 174th University of Science and Technology of China
  • 175th Nanjing University
  • 252nd Beijing Normal University
  • 363rd Nankai University
  • 372nd Xi’an Jiaotong University
  • 384th Sun Yat-sen University
Singapore

• 24th NUS
  • 41st NTU

Graduates from the Philippines are particularly weak, because they have a 10-year education system versus Singapore’s 12.

According to their own government agency, Commission on Higher Education (CHED), Philippine college graduates are of low quality [Link]:
Inadequate basic education is the culprit for the low quality of our college graduates, which in turn makes them less competitive in the global employment market.
CHED Secretary Emmanuel Angeles said their 10-year elementary and high school basic education is not adequate for students seeking higher education. “The Philippines is the only country in Asia that adopts the 10-year basic school program,” Angeles said at a news forum in Quezon City.

He said Asian countries including China, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Myanmar and Cambodia, are adopting the six-year elementary and six-year high school program while Malaysia adopts a seven-year elementary and six-year high school education, making the length of basic education there 13 years.

Because of the “low quality” of graduates, CHED Secretary said Filipino engineers are only considered as technicians when applying for overseas jobs. About 30 percent of new Filipino graduates are unemployed.

The poor performance is attributed to weak state support. A university official said, “Governments are pumping money into their universities, especially in Asia, so in effect we are competing with schools which get subsidies that the Philippine government cannot afford to provide.”

Singaporeans are frustrated working with inferior “foreign talents”, which the government simply allows in. It is even more frustrating for Singaporeans when they are replaced by these inferior “foreign talents”, rendering them jobless.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Armchair Anarchist: January 3, 2014 at 7:49 am Armchair Anarchist(Quote)
There is no doubt.
I had a problem with my laptop, the Indian IT team in my office could not fix it. I called my Singaporean friend who is a tech buff in his spare time. He got it fixed.
I did not like to pay rent so I bought a piece of land in Tokyo and built a house. I awarded the contract to Sumitomo Forestry, one of the top 5 housebuilders. They completed the project ahead of time which is 2/3rd the time it takes in Singapore, use less workers, outstanding finishing and overall lower cost to me. My real estate friends in Singapore said this is not achievable back home.
So here we are. Trumpeted first world country and we accept sub-standard “talents”. Small wonder Singapore has a low productivity problem for so long with the govt unable to fix it. Make it too easy for companies to hire cheap labour and cheap talent, there is no incentive to boost productivity through technology and intensive training. The solution is always cheaper and more foreigners.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Armchair Anarchist: January 3, 2014 at 7:49 am Armchair Anarchist(Quote)
There is no doubt.
I had a problem with my laptop, the Indian IT team in my office could not fix it. I called my Singaporean friend who is a tech buff in his spare time. He got it fixed.
I did not like to pay rent so I bought a piece of land in Tokyo and built a house. I awarded the contract to Sumitomo Forestry, one of the top 5 housebuilders. They completed the project ahead of time which is 2/3rd the time it takes in Singapore, use less workers, outstanding finishing and overall lower cost to me. My real estate friends in Singapore said this is not achievable back home.
So here we are. Trumpeted first world country and we accept sub-standard “talents”. Small wonder Singapore has a low productivity problem for so long with the govt unable to fix it. Make it too easy for companies to hire cheap labour and cheap talent, there is no incentive to boost productivity through technology and intensive training. The solution is always cheaper and more foreigners.

This is what happen when the country is rated first world but the people running the country are of 3rd world quality....poor sinkies being disgraced by their govt..what a shame.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is what happen when the country is rated first world but the people running the country are of 3rd world quality....poor sinkies being disgraced by their govt..what a shame.

Chump you are one of those inferior quality trash too? You forgot?

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
Banglas have been known to be idiots through & through. A new HILTI heavy duty drill with new tungsten carbide tip can be totally fucked up in less than two minutes!
Flippers are just plain lazy mother fucking piece of retard shit!

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are frustrated working with inferior “foreign talents”, which the government simply allows in. It is even more frustrating for Singaporeans when they are replaced by these inferior “foreign talents”, rendering them jobless.

This goes to show sinkie land is just economic refugee camp where FTsh, not wanted in their home countries, are allowed to flood into this country. FTsh with real talent do not want sinkie land, they head for the US, UK, Germany, etc. Ang mohs are in sinkie land because they are unwanted in their home countries too, not because sinkie land is a better place. So, all in all sinkie land gets the trash, not the real talent.