• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Football Managers

jw5

Loyal
The influence of football managers has always been very important to the success of their clubs, but I think it has never been as important as now. With the money going into football and the vast amounts of money paid to the players, it takes a special person to manage all the rich and egoistic players in the dressing room. As the price tags on players get higher and higher, it is also important to develop young players from within the club. As the stakes get higher, the tactics get more complicated and the pace of the games get faster.

Some managers have impressed me this season, not just because of the results they have achieved, but also because of the way they conduct themselves. Feel free to comment on these managers, or on others who have caught your eye, besides the usual suspects like Fergie, Benitez, Wenger, Mourinho, etc.

Pep Guardiola - He won everything that was there to be won in his first season. In his second season, his team is on course to win the primera liga but were knocked out in the semi finals of the champions league by Inter. After the game, his comment was that Barcelona were beaten by a great team and a great manager and will try again next year, a very gracious comment from an obviously disappointed person who is used to winning as a player and manager.

He has impressed me with his comments to the press in both english and spanish. He was asked by a cheeky reporter whether he could tell Mourinho would be a great manager when they were both at Barca. Pep was a player then, Mourinho was a translator for Bobby Robson and Louis Van Gaal. Pep said very honestly that he did not see Mourinho as being a great manager in the future. He did not pretend that he could already predict greatness for Mourinho, neither did he put Mourinho down in any way, but simply answered the question honestly and matter-of-factly.
His team continue to play great football, he has developed young players like Pedro and Busquets, he has got rid of potential troublemakers. My only minor criticism is that his tactics lack a little flexibility, which will probably improve with more experience. He always answers questions put to him properly, with little hint of arrogance , sarcasm or irritation.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
There are 2 barclays premier league managers who have impressed me this season.

Roy Hodgson - What he has achieved with Fulham this season is truly magnificent. His experience, tactical acumen, demeanour and dignity are second to none in the BPL. He respects his players and they reciprocate the respect. Always quick to praise the players for the achievements, slow to criticise them individually.

What impresses me most is that he always plays 4-4-2, but has the players defending or attacking whenever appropriate. The strikers put pressure on the opposition's defence, the 2 wide players in midfield help the central midfielders when they are defending, the fullbacks support the attacks. No need for systems like 4-1-2-3 or 4-1-3-2 with a "holding player" or a diamond or "playing in the hole" or whatever. Just simple 4-4-2 and the players adjust to the game situation and know their roles and responsibilities. He always stands at the touchline, ready to make changes or to have a quiet word with a player, and doesn't prowl like a raving lunatic or simply sits on the bench rubbing his thighs.
He's always respectful to the press, and answers all questions properly and honestly.

Another guy is Alex McLeish. Some people may have forgotten that he played in a very successful Aberdeen team under Fergie, so he learned from one of the best.
He has brought Brirmingham up from the championship and really stabilised their position in the BPL. He has brought in players whom some people had given up on, like Bowyer, Barry Ferguson, Carr, Ridgewell, McFadden, Kevin Phillips, who all had a point to prove. He also added young and promising players like Hart, Dann, Roger Johnson, Jerome, Fahey, etc who were all eager to impress. Again, plays 4-4-2, players know exactly what they need to do in attack and defence. Answers questions properly, very good and fair analyser of the game, quick to praise his players, seldom criticises them individually, a good man manager who has a strong understanding of the game.

When he was a player, he was frequently cited as the best centre half in Britain (not just Scotland) and I think that part of the game has helped Dann and Johnson form a really solid partnership, just like what McLeish had with Willer Miller at Aberdeen.
He hasn't won anything yet and probably will not at Birmingham, but I predict he will be a great manager at a big club one day.

Last edited:

The Monkees

Alfrescian
Loyal
Roy,for taking Fulham all the way to the Europa League Final. Along the way,they took care of Juventus,Hamburg and others.

Alex,he is a good disciple of his mentor and namesake - Alex Ferguson,while playing under him at Aberbeen.