• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fat Fuck SAF Scholar Genital Ng Yat Chung fucking up SPH after doing NOL

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Singapore media executives fumble retrenchments

Both retrenchment exercises exposed a corporate culture that is clueless and inexperienced in carrying out these painful decisions. That culture has been embedded in a DNA that is out of touch with the new reality of a brewing storm of job dislocations brought on by digital disruption.

Singapore has had an easy ride on the jobs front. The government spin was that unemployment only happened elsewhere, that Singapore was an oasis of job security. But the numbers tell the real story: the overall unemployment rate was unchanged at 2.2 per cent in June 2017 compared with three months earlier, but the nagging fear of layoffs is now ever-present as 3,500 people lost their jobs in the second quarter of this year. Such losses are likely to hit 12,000 for the full year.

SPH and, to a lesser extent Today, have been caught with their pants down as they floundered in handling a precarious human situation.

The compensation packages were generous, but not for all. For example, a staff member at Today who had just hit 60 was given retrenchment terms different from those offered to younger staff. “If I had gotten what others were offered, my package would have been $30,000 more. I was a pioneer at Today having served the paper since its inception in 2000. I felt a sour taste in my mouth,” he said. A member of the SPH editorial team was also unhappy that the management did not acknowledge his many years of service in the company. “I would have expected that at the very least,” he said.

Another source confirmed a report that top editor Warren Fernandez told Straits Times staff about the paper’s intention to recruit more foreign desk journalists to compete with US newspapers in the region. Now, why would anybody want to say that to staff under siege and facing an uncertain job future?

Even those not axed felt lousy. “My poor staff is paying the price for the top management’s incompetence,” said one supervisor. That sentiment is resonating online, with one contributor saying these companies should have found ways to tackle the disruption earlier and only used the retrenchment route as a last resort.

Letting good people go

Retrenchments are painful exercises and nobody, whether from management or employee ranks, is ever fully prepared for a life-changing experience. More than 30 years after I had to give retrenchment letters to some staff in the New Nation, the pain of that memory is still vivid." data-reactid="60">Letting good people go

Retrenchments are painful exercises and nobody, whether from management or employee ranks, is ever fully prepared for a life-changing experience. More than 30 years after I had to give retrenchment letters to some staff in the New Nation, the pain of that memory is still vivid.

One of them was my chief reporter, and I was totally unprepared. I did not know what to say, or how to pitch the decision in a humane way. When he walked into the room, I blurted out: “I believe you know what this is all about. I hope you will take it in the right spirit.” He smiled, took the letter and vanished as quickly as he came in. Till today, I don’t know if I did the right thing.

Thirty years later, the management at the two publishing houses were, like me, totally unprepared for the cruel reality of retrenchments. What has made the layoffs even worse, and unacceptable, is that both companies remain profitable. Yes, SPH profits have been going down but it is still a company with a yearly revenue of more than $1 billion.

Today’s performance is not so good with pre-tax profits dropping from $10 million in 2014 to $6 million in 2015 and $3 million last year. Going fully digital will save it an estimated $20 million a year in printing costs. Couldn’t that saving have been used to stave off the job cuts? Then there is the stark point made by an SPH supervisor: Why should the staff pay the price for a management that has been dragging its feet on taking bold and decisive steps to face the harsh downsides of a digital disruption in the media industry?

The job market is in a churn. Both employees and employers need to come to grips with this new reality as Singapore tries to navigate choppy waters. Don’t be surprised if entire industries get wiped out of existence. Sugarcoating such eventualities will only make retrenchments, when they finally happen, more traumatic. The time has come to prepare for the dark new world.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
三少爷
12 hours ago
The most ridiculous part is they fired locals and then hiring 11 FTs!!! Did you vote for this?
alphatar_100x100_NS_kl.jpg

Native Singaporean
14 hours ago
How could a ex-general being appointed for such a high profile post where his handling is in such manner. He should have gone to intern and gain experience in the commercial world before being given the post. This is another blunder by our PM and it goes to show that not all soft generals are geared for commercial world or politics. Our PM is trying to control the press by appointing ex-general Mr Ng as new CEO.

Native Singaporean
14 hours ago
The new CEO is totally has no feeling for the people at all. This goes to same as PM and his team. Remember that Mr Ng is an ex-general and to show its capability to PM, he is carrying out instruction as if he is still in the SAF where soldiers are to take orders and no question ask.
alphatar_100x100_D_mr.jpg

Dabu
13 hours ago
Why the top executives didn't cut 10% of their own pays before they retrenched 10% of their staffs ???
alphatar_100x100_O_ad.jpg

Opined
12 hours ago
The ex-general does not know how to run a business. He sold off NOL and the company that bought it made a big profit after only one year! Now he is planning to sell off SPH. He should be called a shut down expert. But then, this is Singapore Inc under the pappy garmen. Ex-generals are taken in without any commercial experiences to run garmen linked companies such as SMRT, etc. These generals are newbies in business and their only action seems to be closing down or running garmen linked businesses poorly but collecting million dollar pays. What a sad day for Singapore!!!!!
alphatar_100x100_A_mr.jpg

Alvin
12 hours ago
PAP is no longer the government and main concern is political party survival, holding Singaporeans at ransome and redundancy by importing many foreigners. The ministers and MPs are already very rich, holding several positions. Singaporeans wing are already clipped. Wakeup... MNCs are already relocated to China, and PAP cannot recalling all the lost MNCs. Yesterday-years, PAP was blowing trumplets when China closing the doors and cultural revolution. What's tge point of being a USA allied, and all MNCs and G.I.C jobs go to foreigners. Where do you stand?
ce84bfc5f5fd9570a316c650e65199b1_192.png

Popinjay
13 hours ago
When profits dip, first to cut should be bonuses, followed by salary freeze.
When in the red, then salary cut, like MVC - 10%, not peanuts.
Shouldn't it be working like this?
Let's wait for the retrenched staff to whine online. Then we'll know more.

Native Singaporean
13 hours ago
Is our NTUC President and Secretary going to mum about this issue ??? This is the time to see whether our NTUC stands for the workers' right and fight for the workers plights.
alphatar_100x100_E_ald.jpg

EagleOne
12 hours ago
"Another source confirmed a report that top editor Warren Fernandez told Straits Times staff about the paper’s intention to recruit more foreign desk journalists..."

That's their whole objective - sack the LOCALS and bring in cheap FTs...
alphatar_100x100_S_jd_1_6-16.jpg

Saran
14 hours ago
MSM is a propaganda tool, that purports to be a nation-building when it is meant to built the Pappies' self-serving, brain-washing appartus.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
CPK
12 hours ago
So cold-hearted to retrench them near the holidays when jobs will be hard to come by. No human touch.
alphatar_100x100_M_jd_1_6-16.jpg

Michael
10 hours ago
"Led by former Lieutenant General and Chief of Armed Forces, Ng Yat Chung, NOL saw losses rising to US$460 million, while its debts grew more than US$4 billion.
In an interview last year, Ng, who was at the helm for 5 years, blamed the company’s demise on its inability “to compete on costs.”
“The market growth has slowed down, there is severe overcapacity, so we had to recognise that the business model needed change,” he told the press then. “We didn’t have the right cost position in an industry that was becoming more and more commoditised.”
But what Ng could not do at NOL, the French seemed to have done it – and all in less than one year."

Ng Yat Chung ran NOL to the ground and sold the our national shipping line to the French who turned it around in 12 months. This is the results of putting a political appointee to run our national assets. Cutting cost is the easiest, after that he would run out of ideas of how else to grow the company as in NOL's case.
alphatar_100x100_ST_ad_2.jpg

See Toh Hiap Seng
12 hours ago
If I am not wrong, the Chairman of SPH is a political pensioner. I wonder whether the previous and present CEO are also civil-service pensioners. If they are, then this is PAP Govt's legacy of issuing "Credit Cards" to pensioners but monthly expenses and debits charged to "Taxpayers' Account @ Consolidated Fund".
alphatar_100x100_R_jd_6-16.jpg

Ricky
12 hours ago
Hi ! As stated above, " ST intend to recruit more foreign desk journalist to compete with US newspaper in the region..."..Is this for real....? Foreigners on E- Pass are now allow to involve in local politic...!...Wonder what news these foreign reporters are going to write and compete US..Newspaper in the region..!..Before they start recruiting, its already a failure... !
alphatar_100x100_T_ald_4_6-16.jpg

Tan
13 hours ago
warning sign ! PAP LHL unable to solve record high unemployment rate as promise better job and more job opportunity for Singaporeans during 2015 GE . is not that complicate investors avoid this world expensive cities and local SMC either closed shop or join MNC move out Government related companies cut manpower WHO will provide job for us ? Sheng Siong supermarket ( one of Persident best friend ) ? the worse issue is MOM continue none stop issue EP SPASS for FT with out quality and quantity control ( WP for FW OK we need FW ) .
blame world issue ? NO . more to our problems ... look at Thailand Vietnam Malaysia .............. investors move there from SG ... thinks about why Foxcoon-Sharp invest 100 million USD into US not even think about SG ? **** SG - over price on ONLY 20-year leases industrial land , very high Electricity / water Charges .... and many other HIGH PRICE ( operating cost ) .. who made its ?
Government only good for slogan - business transformation . high tech . automation . skills . productivity but did not really try to understand what is the main problems and skills / productivity are not apply to ministers and top management .
policy failure !!
88f2c83f5a7d0aac0e6ba7fc8d5984a1_192.jpeg

一带一路 巨浪-3
12 hours ago
YAY!!!.....more people joining the unemployed.

BTW, all other asia countries enjoying high GDP growth while, ironically, SG, having the world most "elite", "capable" and highest paying ministers, falls to the bottom......

What's worst, 70% still believe they (Ministers) are worth the money spent.....hahaha
alphatar_100x100_F_jl.jpg

Food4Thought
14 hours ago
"...... but the nagging fear of layoffs is now ever-present as 3,500 people lost their jobs in the second quarter of this year. Such losses are likely to hit 12,000 for the full year......"

All I can say FOR SURE......majority 70% voters have been affected. As for whether it's 12,000 or 120,000.......who cares when Ministers like Khaw can shamelessly tell you MRT SERVICES HAVE IMPROVED.....because this not counted.....that not counted............sigh.....
alphatar_100x100_M_mr.jpg

Mikey
11 hours ago
The knowledge economy is going to be over soon and the new emotional economy is going to take over. SPH is not in the red or bleeding so retrenchment isn't the best way out. Yes, company should restructure/re-model, just like workers upgrading/up-skilling themselves, to stay competitive and try and increase bottom line earnings. Like many suggestions, SPH top management should take a pay cut, then innovate new strategies. If all else fail and if the company start to fall into the red then you can consider voluntary early retirement and last resort of retrenchment. Retrenching current workers and then recruiting foreign workers for whatever reasons shows the inhumane culture of management. Are all our companies transforming into a military management style without a shred of emotions and feeling? If this is the case, then shouldn't the top dog of any company take accountability and be dismissed just like in the military when his mission fail?
alphatar_100x100_L_mr.jpg

lau hero
12 hours ago
Competition exists everywhere and in every trade, NYC screwed up once a pride of Singapore NOL ( one of largest in the world) with heavy losses due to his poor management skills blaming glut in capacity and low prices as the cause of NOL losses. Open your big eyes fatty and look at other shipping lines in the world!
This is one of the greatest failures on the part of PAP, particularly Pinky who simply put Paper Generals to run commercial entities, the same goes for SMRT! Very soon SPH will be like another NOL
alphatar_100x100_E_ald.jpg

EagleOne
13 hours ago
That's why they the management ranked the lowest of the lowest in the world in running of the business!!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Ricky
14 hours ago
Hi! Looks like right hand don't know what left hand is doing. Someone will have to clean up the mess sooner or later. !

Native Singaporean
14 hours ago
The new CEO is former SAF general and
alphatar_100x100_D_mr.jpg

Driver
13 hours ago
When he was general, many hard working soldiers got laid off too. Now he ceo of sph, workers under him oso kena retrenched....jialat.

Native Singaporean
13 hours ago
SPH is indirectly like military organisation with the ex-general in command. Can our Communication comment on this sudden high-handling of the rice bowls of our fellow Singaporeans ??? Can our NTUC President comment whether is't right that Singapore government treating the workers in such a mean manner ???

Ricky
11 hours ago
Hi ! Sad day for SPH staff that have been retrench...!..Despite all odds by critics, they have faithfully toe the line of PAP in their reporting. But because of " this mouth piece syndrome ", man - in - street do not buy ST newsprint. SO....sales dropped, blame the journalist and staff, and retrenched. Going onwards, Foreign Import Journalist replacing locals will face the same fate....!.More Singaporeans will stop buying ST newsprint from tomorrow....!..Be humble, the end is near for ST newsprint. This sad episode will accelerate the demise as soon as tomorrow. ! Many will boycott ST newspaper by default, and we shall see the beginning of the end of ST newsprint....!..No amount of " damage control ", can satisfy those journalist being retrenched let alone readers....!
c94f4fca8661f68e98371c50f7ea2c9a_192.jpeg

pkh
11 hours ago
Once you begin to retrench...there will be another retrenchment again, and again. The management will just take the easy way out of reducing overheads by cutting staff.

A company that do not protect and value their staff will be nothing in the end. People don't mind working 3-4 days per week, taking a pay cut rather than being retrenched. Or just take no pay leave of 3-4 weeks, just to help the company. Redeployment to let staff take on new tasks. There are many ways to do it. Just to protect more jobs.

Heartless management...will get what they deserved in the end.
5713759dbef4434818545d351a30aadb_192.png

FiveCents
11 hours ago
Aiya.. 70% say ok already lah.. now plse give retrenchment letter to the CEO so that he can lead by example also !
99c6f8205e31f78f55ed95e5abde375d_192.jpeg

Abyss
8 hours ago
By the way, I'm BOYCOTTING all SPH stuff from now on!!! No matter how many innovative products they may be churning out in the future, as long as I see it is a product of ''SPH'', I will not support it!! I'll also be supporting instead their foreign competitors, not that I like them, but because ''the enemy of my enemy is my friend''!!! I know I may be 以卵击石,不知量力。不过只要持之以恒,滴水亦可穿石!!
fefcbaf995f46b64d761b2eebd76168b_192.png

Irene
7 hours ago
Had SPH exhausted all "alternative ways of managing excess manpower, such as redeploying workers, having a shorter work week and a flexible wage system, before turning to retrenchment as a last resort"?
Had SPH breached the ‘Tripartite Guidelines on Managing Excess Manpower and Responsible Retrenchment"?
Did the newly appointed CEO, Mr Ng Yat Chung(Singapore ex-general) have the blessing from the Singapore government &/or NTUC before spearheading this “accelerated” retrenchment exercise?
As a Government-linked company, doesn’t SPH have the responsibility to be an "Exemplary Role Model" in seeking innovative measures to break-through this challenging economic environment?
This is not just a blow for the SPH workers, but a stark reminder of the cruel realities of an aloof elitist regime.
http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/retrenchment-should-be-last-resort-companies-told

alphatar_100x100_C_mr.jpg

Chieftain
12 hours ago
Shed no tears nor waste sympathy on these guys bec they are part of the organisation that became enablers of PAP propaganda outlet.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
alklouder8 hours ago
Open your eyes Singaporeans, this is the nasty side of inexperienced management... This is Corporate Singapore!
What country are we talking about??? Aren't the government suppose to take care and watch out for her own people? Where is the Union on this? What could the Minister of Labour have done to help...Where is the Labour Minister? Or am I being prematured on this... as the usual Wayang may be on the way? Did they not intervene to try to help Singaporeans?
THEY are silent!
After reading some common sense mentioned here by some of you, yeah, it does seem that way. Company is still making profits but staffs are laid off, no freezing of bonuses, but staff are laid off... Hell it may even have helped if wage cut was considered so as to keep a job rather than fire someone i.e. that could have been offered\negotiated rather than axing staff. So many directors and the company is 'not' doing well...? So who is not doing their jobs...?
No human touch, no business and HR experience... only regimental, operational drills... Paper Generals running Corporations... Don't expect more.
The Modus Operandus... after when the need returns, they will employ foreigners with a lower pay... Foreign journalists... We have no Journalists in Singapore? What is Corporate Singapore becoming? Singaporeans, what will happen to our children, and theirs?
alphatar_100x100_G_kl_6-16.jpg

Gurcharan
7 hours ago
This is absolutely ridiculous situation. No person needed to be retrenched.
alphatar_100x100_Y_jl.jpg

Yah
11 hours ago
There is no retrenchment in the Civil Service. This is to ensure that the family members welfarevare taken care of si that they can work with job security and income reassured, this continuing to serve the people with passion.
alphatar_100x100_Z_ald_6-16.jpg

ZZzzzzz
6 hours ago
I bet 99% of those retrenched voted for PAP.
Well I have no pity for them :smile:
alphatar_100x100_F_kl_6-16.jpg

Francis
6 hours ago
Singapore is basically run by a Junta Government where increasing number of Army Generals are placed in important portfolios, in cabinet, ministries,govt linked companies, statutory boards, MRT, NOL, Straits Times etc. They lack experience managing companies are thus incompetent in managing them. The losses are then passed on to the poor workers. What is NTUC doing for the retrenched workers?
alphatar_100x100_Y_jl.jpg

Yah
6 hours ago
(NTUC stands for the workers' right and fight for the workers plights.)

Yes, our NTUC is firmly for the workers.

Halimah Yacob has firm footing rooted from NTUC for decades in her early career.
She is a Worker's President.
Other gooder NTUC examples are Lim Boon Heng, Lim Swee Say, Chan Chin Sing, etc.
For decades, Singapore workers enjoyed excellent career options, only higherer paying jobs are for them while lowerer pay jobs are shunned and breadcrumb~fed to FT Workers.
alphatar_100x100_W_ad.jpg

Wanderer
5 hours ago
NTUC .....Never Trust Union Council.
alphatar_100x100_SC_nl.jpg

Stil Cannot Understand
11 hours ago
i can confirm that if there is a general election tomorrow..
PAP will LOSE. I am very sure of that.
alphatar_100x100_M_jd_2_6-16.jpg

Manlin Com.P
7 hours ago
Thats why I said " Dont be loyal to your company or country". You die your business.....
L
spaceball.gif

Lapses
12 hours ago
to the retrenched pappies, ,drive Uber, Grab lah....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nobody in the right mind will sympathize with salaried hookers from the sinkie prostitute hub.

Did they retrench that "harlot" Chua?...Once again, we read the grumblings, the mumblings, the complains, the ..whatever....but, when come the General Election, they vote in the same shits that throw shits in their faces. This is a mind boggling thing, no one can fathom?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did they retrench that "harlot" Chua?...Once again, we read the grumblings, the mumblings, the complains, the ..whatever....but, when come the General Election, they vote in the same shits that throw shits in their faces. This is a mind boggling thing, no one can fathom?
sinkies react only when their pockets next to their panties are grabbed and squeezed.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Its called Stockholm Syndrome

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
It's like the fuckers in white know how to turn on the switch in sinkie's head when needed. I marvel at this.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies react only when their pockets next to their panties are grabbed and squeezed.

I throw my hands up! really cannot understand, even they have their pants & panties pulled down & shafted, they squealed like swine & they are loving it!. In the past, say up to 15 years back, we have oppositions candidates that are poorly educated or clowns or...they complain lack of oppositions. In the last few elections, they have people with good qualifications & bearings as oppositions & what did these people who grovel, grumble & gyrate do...they voted in the same shits that throw shits in their faces.

How many of those retrenched at the ''prostitute' press holdings are really Singaporeans?, bet you, most are PR's & even foreigners. Singapore workers, will not complain or make noises, when their pants are taken down & "molested"...for their unions, will tell them, that , " they do good, do together" ( or you know what is good for you)..& they will say, "Yes, Ma'am & Sir!"...

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore,a kleptocracy, is run by the military junta.The military SOP is "Take your pink slip and fark off ." " Thank u Sir ! "

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not diff lah. Even if they hire foreigners useless. They would still be cutting pasting rubbish from bought newsfeeds. Real news they cannot do as it is expensive to fly reporters to locations and reporters need to be like spies and soldiers to get the news. Still will fail and even faster. There may instead be spy infiltration from overseas to watch the ISD inside SPH. I just love it.