• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FAP Has Succeeded in Turning Peesai into Souless Country. 60% Donch Mind As Usual.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Has SG become a nation without a soul?

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
To: ALL <NOBR></NOBR>(1 of 9)

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
[h=2]Has Singapore become a nation without a soul?[/h]August 8th, 2011 | Author: Online Press | Edit

As 9 August 2011 approaches, it is becoming glaringly clear that only the PAP and its grassroots organizations are ‘celebrating’ National Day, a sentiment which is not shared by the majority of Singaporeans.
While the roads in most HDB estates are lined with ‘Majulah Singapura’ banners showing the smiling faces of the constituency’s PAP MPs, there are hardly any flags seen hanging from the windows of the flats other than those hanging from the common corridors in blocks facing the MRT stations which is obviously the work of the Residents’ Committees.
I remembered as a kid growing up in Singapore in the 1980s, a palpable sense of excitement, anticipation and pride would fill the air whenever National Day neared.
At least two-thirds of the households in the HDB heartlands would hang the National flag. Relatives and friends would gather over dinner watching the National Day Parade and sang the National Day anthem together as it was being played at the Padang.
The primary school kids would croon the popular National Day songs even at the playgrounds outside school hours and few would not remember the moving lyrics of classics such as “Count on me Singapore”:
“There’s a spirit in the air, it’s a feeling we all share We’re going to build a better life, for you and me.”
The Singapore spirit has been eroded gradually over the years by the relentless influx of foreigners which has changed Singapore’s demographics beyond recognition.
Singapore used to have four major races – the Chinese, Malays, Indians and Eurasians. Now it’s time to add another few more and in fact, the National Day banners and billboards are showing new unfamiliar faces to reflect the reality on the ground.
Last year I was in Lanzhou, China for a business conference and I was absolutely impressed by the strong sense of patriotism displayed by the mainland Chinese on 1st October, China’s National Day.
Weeks before the one-week holiday, the peasants in the villages were already hanging the giant five-star Chinese flags outside their homes. Every village has a flag hung at its entrance to welcome visitors. All these were done at the own initiatives of the Chinese and not at the compulsion of the county people’s committee, the equivalent of our RCs.
Singapore’s economy has indeed grown at an impressive rate in the past decade or so, but at what social price? Have we lost our soul as a nation in the mad pursuit of higher GDP growth?
The primary duty of the government is to take care of all citizens and not to grow the economy at all costs. While the government’s economic policies have indeed benefitted some Singaporeans, the fact remains that many others, especially the Middle Class are feeling increasingly squeezed and marginalized.
Over the years, Singapore’s income gap has widened considerably to become the highest among the thirty most developed nations in the world. The domestic wages and domestic purchasing power of Singaporeans have remained stagnant as rampant inflation caused by an over-heating economy eats into their earnings and savings.
The last I earn, Singaporeans now have less disposable income than the Malaysians. We have regressed, not progressed.
On 9 August, I will not be in Singapore, but working out from my office in Beijing. With each passing year, I feel less and less of a Singaporean. I am grateful to Singapore for my upbringing, but I can no longer connect with it.
Something is seriously lacking. Something which is intangible and not measurable by any monetary terms or economic indicators. Have we lost the soul of our nation? Or perhaps as one minister said, Singapore is city and not a country. And a city can be cosmopolitan without a soul or identity.
Fang Zhi Yuan
* Fang Zhi Yuan was one of the founding members of Wayang Party and Temasek Review who left the editorial team two years ago due to work commitment and is now contributing articles on an ad hoc basis. He is now working for a MNC based in Beijing, China.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Options Reply

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

depeche

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: FAP Has Succeeded in Turning Peesai into Souless Country. 60% Donch Mind As Usual

Where the country has no soul? So sad...

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: FAP Has Succeeded in Turning Peesai into Souless Country. 60% Donch Mind As Usual

To TS,
do you think its possible to format your cut and paste stuff a bit better before posting? I hate scrolling down for so long.

Singapore has changed for a lot for such a long time. I do remember where in the 80s, even in the 90s most school kids can and do sing the National day songs like "count on me", "we are Singapore". I'm not even sure what this years national day theme song is anymore. China Chinese is indeed more patriotic then Singaporean in many ways. Mind you, some do know about the communist government. Watch Ted Koppel's People's Republic of Capitalism and you will see them talking about loving their country but not liking the government.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Watch Ted Koppel's People's Republic of Capitalism and you will see them talking about loving their country but not liking the government.

How to be loyal when Singapore = PAP = LKY.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

S'pore has never been a country.......................

at a higher level, it's still a (Rothschild) Crown Colony..................with the Lee Family as governors..............

at lower level, it's a corporation.............and our PAP board of directors are replacing the local workers with foreign ones..............

good to see NO flags at my neighbourhood................i'm shocked......................ZERO flags at all.......................LOL