- Joined
- Jan 23, 2010
- Messages
- 1,746
- Points
- 0
Only warning nian - ExxonMobil refuse to let SCDF entry to fight fire
SCDF drops charges against ExxonMobil
OIL giant ExxonMobil was cleared of three charges of refusing to allow firefighters into its premises to put out a fire earlier this year.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) withdrew the charges against the company during a night court session.
Its assistant director of corporate communications, Major Leslie Williams, said: 'The management of ExxonMobil has appealed and also taken prompt corrective actions... The SCDF decided to issue a stern warning in lieu of proceeding with charges.'
The company was acquitted of refusing to allow SCDF personnel into its Jurong Refinery in Pioneer Road and Shipyard Road on Jan 6 to extinguish a fire, determine the cause, and ensure that the fire safety manager notified the Commissioner of SCDF immediately of the incident.
An ExxonMobil spokesman expressed gratitude to the SCDF for acceding to its representations and withdrawing the charges.
'We regret and are sorry for our part in the circumstances leading to the charges.
'We have since reviewed our internal processes to ensure that such an incident will not occur again, and we continue to work with the SCDF to ensure a closer alignment in our operational process with all their ground personnel.'
She assured the public that the Singapore refinery, like all other ExxonMobil sites, has an emergency response plan and employees prepare themselves through regular training and drills.
ELENA CHONG
SCDF drops charges against ExxonMobil
OIL giant ExxonMobil was cleared of three charges of refusing to allow firefighters into its premises to put out a fire earlier this year.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) withdrew the charges against the company during a night court session.
Its assistant director of corporate communications, Major Leslie Williams, said: 'The management of ExxonMobil has appealed and also taken prompt corrective actions... The SCDF decided to issue a stern warning in lieu of proceeding with charges.'
The company was acquitted of refusing to allow SCDF personnel into its Jurong Refinery in Pioneer Road and Shipyard Road on Jan 6 to extinguish a fire, determine the cause, and ensure that the fire safety manager notified the Commissioner of SCDF immediately of the incident.
An ExxonMobil spokesman expressed gratitude to the SCDF for acceding to its representations and withdrawing the charges.
'We regret and are sorry for our part in the circumstances leading to the charges.
'We have since reviewed our internal processes to ensure that such an incident will not occur again, and we continue to work with the SCDF to ensure a closer alignment in our operational process with all their ground personnel.'
She assured the public that the Singapore refinery, like all other ExxonMobil sites, has an emergency response plan and employees prepare themselves through regular training and drills.
ELENA CHONG
Last edited: