• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

even Carrefour has more integrity than PAP NTUC

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
French supermarket sticks 'shrinkflation' warnings on food to shame suppliers
www.rfi.fr

A sign reading Shrinkflation, This product has seen its weight decrease and the price charged by our supplier increase at a Carrefour supermarket in Montesson near Paris, France, on 13 September 2023.

Since Monday, Carrefour has marked 26 products in its stores in France with labels reading: "This product has seen its volume or weight fall and the effective price by the supplier rise."

For example, Carrefour said a bottle of sugar-free peach-flavoured Lipton Ice Tea, produced by PepsiCo, shrank to 1.25 litres from 1.5 litres, resulting in a 40 percent effective increase in the price per litre.

Guigoz infant formula produced by Nestle went from 900 grams to 830 grams, while a Viennetta ice-cream cake, produced by Unilever, shrank to 320 grams from 350 grams previously.

Lindt and PepsiCo did not respond to a request for comment. Nestle and Unilever declined to comment.

Pressure on manufacturers​

Carrefour's price warnings come ahead of contract negotiations with suppliers that are due to start soon and conclude by mid-October.

"Obviously, the aim in stigmatising these products is to be able to tell manufacturers to rethink their pricing policy," Stefen Bompais, director of client communications at Carrefour, said in an interview with Reuters news agency.

Carrefour CEO Alexandre Bompard, who also heads a retail industry lobby group, has repeatedly said consumer goods companies are not cooperating in efforts to cut the price of thousands of staples despite a fall in the cost of raw materials.

In this he is being backed by French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire, who in June summoned 75 big retailers and consumer groups to his ministry to urge them to cut prices.

After a new round of meetings last month, Le Maire said Unilever, Nestle and PepsiCo were among companies not toeing the line on prices.

Widespread practice​

Consumer groups say "shrinkflation" is a widespread practice, which supermarkets like Carrefour are also guilty of in their own-label products.

France, like other European countries, has been trying for months to ease consumer pain in the face of a surge in the cost of living, strong-arming big business to freeze or cut food and transport prices – with mixed results so far.

Protest march against the high cost of living in Paris, France, Sunday 16 October 2022
Protest march against the high cost of living in Paris, France, Sunday 16 October 2022 © AP/Aurelien Morissard

But Carrefour’s move to name and shame suppliers marks an escalation in the war of words between retailers and big multinationals.

The shrinkflation warnings are in all French Carrefour stores, and will last until the targeted suppliers agree to price cuts, Bompais said.

The retailer could extend the warnings to other goods, but does not plan to extend the initiative to other countries.

Last month, Le Maire said consumer goods companies and retailers had agreed to bring forward annual price negotiations, which would normally have taken place next year, to September. The talks will result in price cuts from January, he said.

ChinaCommunistSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore PAP is good friends of retailers and SME because PAP relies on SME to contribute work permit levy, hang posters during election and many more

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
yahor, everytime i snack on lay’s potato chips i count one less. very annoying.
the wantan mee stall.in the nearby hawker centre increase the price from.$3.50 to $4 per plate. however last time 3 wantan. now got 4 want an plus a little more charsiew. i.guess they still can cover the inflation and at least i don't feel cheated like buying things in pap ntuc

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the wantan mee stall.in the nearby hawker centre increase the price from.$3.50 to $4 per plate. however last time 3 wantan. now got 4 want an plus a little more charsiew. i.guess they still can cover the inflation and at least i don't feel cheated like buying things in pap ntuc
1 sextra wanton and a few slices of charsiew can cause sinkies to climax and cum. this is how sinkies have evolved. pappies will soon start to offer sextra wantons and charsiew to stay in power.

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
1 sextra wanton and a few slices of charsiew can cause sinkies to climax and cum. this is how sinkies have evolved. pappies will soon start to offer sextra wantons and charsiew to stay in power.
hahaha. i.still vote opposition. pap cannot be trusted even when they do charity cos they always have ulterior motives