• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you consider S'pore home?

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to. But as I get older and the feeling keeps growing that S'pore (or at least the govt) does not treat me any more special than the FTs they import, this feeling has dimished over the years.

Now I feel it's just a house. I hold the pink card of tenancy, and pay my rent (NS & taxes) And I'm open to opportunities if bigger better houses come my way.

Sounds unpatriotic? Anyone shares the same sentiment? :(

molly

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's where Singapore needs a two party system to keep the other party in check.

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
for me this is a safe place to bring up my family. however, if something bad happens, i will be the first to run away

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in fact im not sure.
wat singapore does today is making me feel u cant make sg ur home.
maybe im wrong.

jw5

Loyal
A home does not need to be a place where you agree with what everyone says or does and where everyone is lovey dovey and looks out for one another. A home can be simply somewhere you stay the longest and where you feel comfortable resting or moving around.
In that regard, I would consider S'pore home, even though I dislike most of the people and policies around me.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
A home does not need to be a place where you agree with what everyone says or does and where everyone is lovey dovey and looks out for one another. A home can be simply somewhere you stay the longest and where you feel comfortable resting or moving around.
In that regard, I would consider S'pore home, even though I dislike most of the people and policies around me.

Hi JW, there's where I differ.. a home is precisely what you say it does not need to be. A house is what you mention about staying and moving around... tangibles you can do anywhere.

Carrera

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Pia, I share the same thoughts as you. Now i am working towards migrating out of Sinkapore. Looking at Msia, BKK & vietnam. Fark PAP! They hav turn Singapore into a hotel/company.
~~~

WOOHOO

Alfrescian
Loyal
at times yes at times no but life here really sucks but that's what you get for staying here what to do if really got the means to leave would have don so if no means than how??

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Pia, I share the same thoughts as you. Now i am working towards migrating out of Sinkapore. Looking at Msia, BKK & vietnam. Fark PAP! They hav turn Singapore into a hotel/company.
~~~

I'm not actively looking to migrate. Deep inside, I wish S'pore will return to what it was.. a home for us S'poreans. Plitics is not my cuppa, and not a lot of peoples' as well, so govt should not say if you want to complain, join politics.

That is the bind I'm in. How, as laymen, work towards that? Voting for an alternative voice doesn't happen when consitituency boundaries are redrawn at whim and fancy, and since eligible age, I'm only faced with walkovers. I continue to contribute to the economy to ensure my future generations have a good life, and probably sustain the coountry long enough hoping to see good people eventually coming out to govern.

If I regard myself as an FT in my own country, there are no complains. I'm not super rich, but am not struggling for sure. But it's that S'porean in me that's bugging me.. isn't there something else, outside of politics, I can do to make ALL S'porean lives better? Somehow, I'm feeling I'm not doing enough, and if this country fails, I'm equally to be blamed :(

jw5

Loyal
pia
What you said is the idealistic picture of what a home should be, but in reality, it may not be the case.
If you were to emigrate, you may find that the new place does not feel like a home either. Some people who have emigrated claim to like it better in the new country, but it may be because their dollar can buy more, or because they want to convince themselves that they made the right decision, or it may be because they like the new country for certain reasons.
I don't think many people who emigrate can honestly say that the new country's government, people and policies are great and that's why they are happy that they emigrated.
Sometimes, we have to make the best of what we have or what we can get, including the formation of what we consider a home.
Trust me, I have worked and lived in other countries besides Singapore, and life overseas is not as great as what some people make it out to be. (these people may or may not lived in other countries before.)

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... Sounds unpatriotic? Anyone shares the same sentiment? :( ...

home?

a home is where my dreams can crystalize, a place where i feel safe and comfortable and i can roam about in a carefree and liberated manner...

where my folks would be by my side, enjoying their moments doing something they like...

where my neighbors would be friendly folks whom would share a joke over a tea or two...

that's my dream home...

in Singapore? i can't even walk around naked at home, i'm not an exhibitionist, but sometimes really forget to bring in the towel and/or clothes... :(

my folks still need to work because i haven't earn enough to support them and to repay the loan they've taken to furnish and furbish this pigeon hole... :(

i'm still trying to get the names of my new PRC neighbors... :rolleyes:

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do I consider Singapore home? Yes.

The only gripe I have about this place is the idiots who are running it. :smile:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
pia
What you said is the idealistic picture of what a home should be, but in reality, it may not be the case.
If you were to emigrate, you may find that the new place does not feel like a home either. Some people who have emigrated claim to like it better in the new country, but it may be because their dollar can buy more, or because they want to convince themselves that they made the right decision, or it may be because they like the new country for certain reasons.
I don't think many people who emigrate can honestly say that the new country's government, people and policies are great and that's why they are happy that they emigrated.
Sometimes, we have to make the best of what we have or what we can get, including the formation of what we consider a home.
Trust me, I have worked and lived in other countries besides Singapore, and life overseas is not as great as what some people make it out to be. (these people may or may not lived in other countries before.)

True, what you say about other "houses". That's why I mentioned, I'm not actively looking at migration. The frustration is this is supposed to be my home, but it does not seem so. As such, there is no attachment, much I want there to be. If there is another country which treats it's FTs as well as ours, and the money is good, there is no pull factor making us stay. We may as well be an FT in a foreign land opposed to being a pseudo-one in our own.

I'm speaking from the "got money still want to complain" category. But I sympathise with those who don't, and look a lot to the govt for taking care of their own kind. We may grouse that they lag behind because of their own fault, but in a home, we take care our our parents, siblings and children, don't we?