• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Disabled China beggars hit Waterloo St during CNY

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,191302,00.html?

Disabled China beggars hit Waterloo St during CNY
Group appears organised with lookouts
January 31, 2009

NP_IMAGES_JHBEG-A9G.jpg

DOWN ON HIS LUCK? The beggars often place themselves in uncomfortable positions to gain more sympathy.

BEGGARS, tissue-paper sellers and buskers are a common sight to visitors of Waterloo Street throughout the year.

But a particular group of beggars caught the attention of passers-by and storekeepers over the first three days of the Chinese New Year.

The unusual thing about this group of beggars is that every one of them is missing a limb.

But these beggars are no ordinary handicapped individuals, according to a Lianhe Wanbao report.

Unlike the other beggars who sit along the pavements of Waterloo Street, these middle-aged men allegedly belong to a syndicate from Guangzhou, China, said the report.

Over the first three days of the Chinese New Year, they arrived at Waterloo Street daily shortly after 8am.

NP_IMAGES_JHBEG.jpg

HOPING FOR HANDOUT: A beggar sits in front of a giant balloon of the God of Prosperity along Waterloo Street. PICTURES: LIANHE WANBAO

A witness, who wanted to be known only as Mr Quek, said he saw three of them sitting outside the Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple begging for money.

Mr Quek said in Mandarin: 'It was very crowded on the first day. People gave them hongbao and $10 notes. 'They must have got a lot of money.'

This is the first time he has seen such beggars in the two years that he has worked at Waterloo Street.

Another six to seven of them sat near an inflatable figure of the God of Prosperity about 100m from the temple.

When The New Paper team visited the area on Wednesday afternoon, there was only one beggar sitting near the inflatable figure.

The man, who wore a collared T-shirt and bermudas, was missing a left arm.

When The New Paper tried to take a photograph of him, a man in a black T-shirt sitting nearby gestured wildly to him to collect his takings and move away.

Ran off

The handicapped beggar immediately stood up and grabbed his black hat containing all the money he had collected.

The two men then walked off in different directions.

When The New Paper team caught up with the beggar, he would only say that he was on holiday and had been at Waterloo Street for the past two days.

Apparently, this beggar wasn't the only one with his own lookout.

Lianhe Wanbao reported that the other China beggars also have 'helpers' whose job is to look out for the police or officers from the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS).

Stallholders outside the Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple said this was not the first time they had come across such beggars.

Said an ice-cream seller who did not want to be named: 'There are a lot of them who appear from the first to the 15th day of Chinese New Year.'

During this period, many devotees offer prayers at the temple.

The New Paper did not see any China beggars yesterday.

Mr Devan, 42, who has been selling religious cards outside the Sri Krishnan Temple for the past three months, said some of them were rounded up by government officials yesterday.

Mr Quek said he also saw a group of plainclothes officials and a police officer rounding up the beggars on Chinese New Year's eve.

'But they came back that same afternoon to continue begging,' he said.

MCYS said in an e-mail response last night that its Destitute Persons Team steps up its patrols during festive periods when more beggars are anticipated. (See report above).

An Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) spokesman said foreign beggars will be repatriated.

The ICA keeps a record of the beggars' particulars and fingerprints, so re-entering the country will be difficult for them even if they travel on different passports.

Joanna Hor and Audrey Tan, newsroom interns

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,191301,00.html?

More patrols during festive season: MCYS
January 31, 2009

THE Destitute Persons Team conducts regular patrols in response to public feedback on beggars, an MCYS spokesman said in an e-mail last night.

During festive seasons, these patrols are stepped up in anticipation of more beggars.

Under the Destitute Persons Act, habitual beggars can be fined up to $3,000 or jailed for up to two years.

Singaporeans in financial distress can seek help from Community Development Councils, Family Service Centres or other organisations.

They can call the ComCare Call line at 1800-2220000 , which will link them with the appropriate agencies for assistance.

The public should not give money to beggars. Instead, they should call the ComCare Call line to report such cases, so MCYS can pick them up and refer those in genuine financial distress to agencies for help.

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe they must have applied their EP stating their industry under cultural and arts. Since cheating and lying is an art, they must be granted entrance passing as foreign talent beggars.

Jiatlark

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought they were Singaporeans. I see many of these handicapped people in my markets! Some got no hands and no legs and they just crawl to you. Is this our golden period and also our world class society? Where do these people come from? How on earth did we admit those handicapped China nationals to our first class country? I give up liao!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought they were Singaporeans. I see many of these handicapped people in my markets! Some got no hands and no legs and they just crawl to you. Is this our golden period and also our world class society? Where do these people come from? How on earth did we admit those handicapped China nationals to our first class country? I give up liao!

So local handicapped are also competing with FT handicapped for survival? Gosh!!!

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
so many foreign syndicates, even indonesian aunties with tudungs, why sinkies so guillible just give and give...

these Waterloo ah tiongs can earn 200 quid daily wor...

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is true that there are professional beggars and syndicate around , initially i resented their presence. However, I realised that give them 10/20 cents is better than give 20/30 to those TT durai led foundation. At least i am providing him a meal for the day.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
so many foreign syndicates, even indonesian aunties with tudungs, why sinkies so guillible just give and give...

these Waterloo ah tiongs can earn 200 quid daily wor...

Yes these kind of crime is being committed everyday.

Where are our POLICEMEN and POLICEWOMEN? Thought they say crime is down? CCB, if crime really down, WHY they still want to recruit 3000 more police personnel? Somemore put BIG BIG ads in newspapers and TV.

Many crime here not reported or sweep under carpet me thinks.

Again, talk cock sing song.

jw5

Loyal
Bro shelltox
By giving them money, you are just encouraging these syndicates.
Instead of donating to such foreigners who come here through syndicates or to large foundations who spend donations on business class flights, why don't you donate to individual needy and deserving Singaporean individuals and families?

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

Could this be the result of Pap policy of opening the floodgates to any tom dick or harry?

Or Ica limp kopi money

Why they keep punishing the handicapped?

They should catch the mastermind because this is organized crime.

It also show the stupidity of sinkies whorshping idols!

Many think they buy their way to heaven.

Salvation is not by works only.

Last edited:

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where are our POLICEMEN and POLICEWOMEN? Thought they say crime is down? CCB, if crime really down, WHY they still want to recruit 3000 more police personnel? Somemore put BIG BIG ads in newspapers and TV.

3000 police man and home team is to protect their kangaroo courts and their political views and way of PAP !

The rest on the ground bickering are just ignored !
You engage and get your own lawyers to settle your problems.
Another way money from citizens is flowed back to the top.
Our police are only for state affairs ! And protecting our regime !