• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Devadas K. damn tulan when someone farked him for parroting pinky...

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Devadas K.
Devadas K.• 2ndChief Executive Officer2h • Edited • 2 hours ago

Follow

This morning I awoke to an unwelcome and angry DM from an expatriate who wrote to say that she had been following me for several months but because I reported that PM Lee at his recent National Day Rally speech had spoke about tightening measures on employment passes, that she would stop following me.

She called me rubbish and angrily declared that Singapore cannot survive without expatriates like her.

First, I was reporting what PM Lee had said and observing that it would be welcome by a large swathe of Singaporeans. It was a political call by the PM to appease a population battered by Covid and not a reflection of my own view. While flattering, it is silly to confuse or conflate me with the PM.

Second, imposing quality control measures is not incompatible with Singapore remaining an open economy, welcoming of global talent. Only somone insecure of their qualifications or likelyhood of meeting the tightened criteria would write such a vituperent and acidic message.

Third, being in Singapore is a privilige not a right. And each country reserves the right to determine its parameters for permitting foreigners from entering and working in its economy. It is ironic that this Western expatriate comes from a country which has much higher hurdle rates than Singapore. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Fourth, her declaration that Singapore cannot survive without expatriates is indeed half true. We can survive but we will not thrive. However, that does not translate into a welcome mat being treated as a doormat. Singapore has treated expatriates well during the pandemic with free access to vaccines.

Yes, there was and remains frustration over the uncertainty, now somewhat reduced with 8 countries on air travel pass list and Germany in an all clear category, over returning to Singapore from overseas travel. However, much as I disagreed with such restrictions given our high vaccination rates I respect the fact that the policy makers have reason to be guarded. And being elected representatives their view count more than mine. I am not so filled with hubris to assume otherwise.

So to this irate expatriate (and others like her) I have a few messages.

First, yes Singapore needs expatriates in aggregate but it does need any particular expatriate. So feel free to pack your bags.

Second, when a country, especially a pragmatic country such as Singapore, makes rules, not to your liking you are still bound by the law to respect them. This is not your country and you do not have a vote but you can vote with your feet. The angry message denouncing the PM, Singaporeans and myself is juvenile, uncalled for and ultimately reeks of a toxic combination of entitlement and insecurity.

Third, it is ironic that this particular person is employed by one of our sovereign wealth funds. The sheer ingratitude of having a job paid by ultimately by the State but not respecting that State's discretion to make rules as it sees fit for its people, is hypocrisy.
Image preview

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long time ago,nobody want to come sg, now all these leeches come here for free rides,though they are not capable n riding on sinkies, this is sick ,those clowns out of greed doing all these, now almost all back to square one,it's like gambling for temasick, n always report how much they gain including GLC link , to me is who would pay to buy n secondly money not in ppickings is not consider earn, now clowns are using all these sinkies monies to survive

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long time ago,nobody want to come sg, now all these leeches come here for free rides,though they are not capable n riding on sinkies, this is sick ,those clowns out of greed doing all these, now almost all back to square one,it's like gambling for temasick, n always report how much they gain including GLC link , to me is who would pay to buy n secondly money not in ppickings is not consider earn, now clowns are using all these sinkies monies to survive
So now that they have come, they will justify their stake here and claim that it is because of them that Sinkeepoo has prospered... A little like when you rent a property out and the tenant turned around and say it is because of their rent money that have enriched you, so you have to be grateful to them and kowtow to their whims.