• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Democrats conduct traditional CNY walkabout

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi friends in this forum, I hope you do not mind that I post this thread about the SDP CNY walkabout here. I am sorry that the pictures are a bit too big and I do not know how to make them smaller. Please do not give me "red points" just because this thread is not regarding the WP. I am not a member of the SDP but I like them. I post this thread simply because I like what they are doing for the Chinese New Year and I wish to share it with the readers here. Thanks. :smile::smile::smile:

http://yoursdp.org/news/democrats_conduct_traditional_cny_walkabout/2013-02-04-5541

Democrats conduct traditional CNY walkabout
February 4th, 2013 | Author: YourSDP

The Singapore Democrats went on our customary Chinese New Year walkabout yesterday to meet residents and to help usher in the Year of the Snake.

Armed with ang-pows and oranges, members mingled with the shoppers and breakfast-goers at the food centres and wet markets – from Marsiling to Bukit Panjang, Yuhua to Ghim Moh – greeting one and all “Xin nian kuai le, gong xi fa cai!”

We were also there to sell the party’s flagship publication, The New Democrat, and, more importantly, listen to and speak with the residents.

CNY2013group2.jpg

The schedule started at 8am with members boarding the bus which made its way to the Marsiling Lane market and food-center in the Woodlands area.

Danny the Democracy Bear was on hand, as usual, to help us spread good cheer. His basket of gold coins attracted many children and not few adults who wanted a photograph with the him.

Red SDP balloons were also a hit with the residents, many wanted one for their children.

As the team went from table to table, residents were returning our greeting. “Jia you! Jia you!” a few exclaimed. “2016 is not far away.”

By the time we visited every table at every food-centre in the vicinity it was 1pm. This is a repeat of the CNY walkabout we conducted in 2012, conducting a record-breaking exercise which covering five constituencies from Woodlands in the north to Tanjong Pagar in the south.

CNY2013jufrie.jpg

But it was not just meet-and-greet. We had the chance to engage in conversation with Singaporeans who, not surprisingly, wanted to talk about the high cost of living.

Housing and healthcare were the predominant issues.

The older generation lamented the lack of income for their retirement, much of their CPF savings have been withheld under the Minimum Sum Scheme.

A few of the younger residents worried about having to take care of their ageing parents as well as having to provide for their children.

CNY2013aunty_danny.jpg

Having to pay for healthcare costs, especially if their parents needed long-term medication, was a big drain on their household budget.

The issue of the Government raising the population to 6.9 million was, of course, not far away from their minds.

“Why can’t they talk about the quality of life? Why only talk about the number of people?” one middle-aged man at the Ghim Moh food-centre asked angrily, speaking loud enough that others having their breakfast could hear. “If Singapore gets so crowded, I wouldn’t want my children living here.”

Despite the frustration with the PAP policies, the SDP spread hope that with a stronger opposition the Government would be more consultative and would govern with a listening ear.

CNY2013vincent.jpg

With each passing year and with the advance of technology in communications, the electorate will gain greater access to views and policies put up by the SDP and find that our alternative vision and plans will be better and more hopeful for our country.

In the meantime, the Singapore Democrats will continue to work to spread our message of a competent, constructive party endeavouring to build a compassionate Singapore.

We wish all Singaporeans a happy and prosperous Lunar New Year!

CNY2013oranges.jpg

Singapore Democrats

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IMO there's nothing wrong with liking SDP and posting about what they are doing in here.

But am I the only one that immediately went looking at the group photo to see who is missing?

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
If SDP is giving out ang pow to needy folks in Bukit Panjang then that is great. Nothing to object to. Any party that does the same should be applauded.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi friends in this forum, I hope you do not mind that I post this thread about the SDP CNY walkabout here. ...... Please do not give me "red points" just because this thread is not regarding the WP. I am not a member of the SDP but I like them. I post this thread simply because I like what they are doing for the Chinese New Year and I wish to share it with the readers here. Thanks. :smile::smile::smile:.....

Not sure why you asked that. It looks like you are making a statement instead of a question.

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro Cosmos10,

The images are re-sized 85% now...

You can replaced your images with these, as they're not coming up in my browser, most probably it's using this forum attachment feature or they're too big, which is unlikely anyhow.

http://i.imgur.com/1r2rOY6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/53h5lRy.png
http://i.imgur.com/DXzh7lH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YAlMVhx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KPwE1Ay.jpg

Hi Bro Sinkie, thank you for your help. Can you please tell me how do I replace my old images with your new resized images? I have read all the FAQ in Sam's forum, and I could not find any help for replacing images. I could not even find any "edit" button for my original post. I am not a techie, so any detailed steps and instructions that you can give to me will be very helpful. Thanks.

By the way, your helpful attitude really befits your username "Sinkie". At the end of the day, we are all Singaporeans who want the best for our country.

A very Happy Chinese New Year to all my friends here :smile:

Last edited: