CPIB checking Singapore Sports Council for Corruption

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
1,746
Points
0
Graft probe 'won't delay Motorsports Hub project'
Japanese director says project is on track for end-2011 completion
By Leonard Lim & Jonathan Wong

ONE of the leading figures behind the construction of the Changi Motorsports Hub insists the timescale for the project will not be affected and that it will be completed by the end of the year.

This, despite news that the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) is probing those involved in the tender process, the latest blow to the $380 million project which has faced delays and other troubles since it was first announced in 2007.

'Work will still go ahead,' Japanese businessman Moto Sakuma vowed yesterday.

'We are still on track for the end-2011 completion date,' he added.

At the construction site off Changi Coast Road yesterday, a security guard denied The Straits Times entry but from the gate, signs of activity were visible, including a lorry that was spotted entering the compound.

Mr Sakuma, one of four directors of the private sector winning consortium SG Changi, was not prepared to comment further. The other three directors are Mr Fuminori Murahashi, former Jurong Kart World owner Thia Yoke Kian, and Mr Eddie Koh.

The 41ha project has been hampered by delays from the start.

The announcement of the Request for Proposals from interested parties was made only in March 2009, instead of the original date of May 2008. And despite a ground-breaking ceremony last July, SG Changi received its permit to start work only last month.

The track is slated to flag off its first race by March or April next year.

SG Changi was named the winning bidder last March after beating two other bids - one from Singapore Agro Agriculture, and the other from Sports Services, which is backed by public-listed Haw Par Corporation.

But since then there has been talk about the group being tight for cash, and it has also seen management changes. Mr Sakuma himself came on board last year, replacing former Japanese race driver Gengi Hashimoto after he left the group.

While spokesmen for the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports and the Singapore Sports Council declined comment yesterday, others in the motorsports fraternity expressed shock.

There were also concerns that the news may dent the country's hopes of cementing itself as a regional motorsports centre.

Mr Tan Teng Lip, president of the Singapore Motor Sports Association, said investigations were still in progress and it was not the time to comment.

'But if the charges are proven to be true, then of course it will have negative impact on Singapore's reputation.'

While not involved in the hub's construction, Mr Tan helps SG Changi in dealing with the sport's international bodies to ensure the track design meets their specifications.

The hub, which can host any motor race except Formula One, plans to stage at least three international races every year, such as MotoGP and Japan's Super GT, once completed.

Singapore's leading race driver Melvin Choo expressed the wish of many racing fans in Singapore. He said: 'I hope that whatever comes out of it, we are still on course for a circuit we can all be proud of.'

[email protected]

[email protected]
 
Back
Top