• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China Property Prices Plunges!!

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
China October 23, 2008, 5:00PM EST
The Housing Crisis Spreads to China

1023_mz_china_housing.jpg

Beijing is scrambling to loosen credit even as home prices plummet, buyers reconsider, and developers flee

By Frederik Balfour and Chi-Chu Tschang

Autumn is usually the busiest time for real estate salesman Wang Yaodong. Last September and October, for instance, he sold more than a dozen luxury townhouses in western Shanghai, but this year he has sold only one. "Everybody is waiting for prices to fall," Wang says.

Wang's lament is a common refrain in China these days. During the Golden Week holiday in early October, normally peak season for home buying, sales in the southern city of Shenzhen fell by a third from the previous week and the average selling price was nearly halved. In Beijing, software developer Answer Li has been looking at houses in the $100,000 to $200,000 range, but he's holding off because he fears further declines. "I don't dare take the plunge and buy a home," Li says.

Across China, property sales fell 15% in August over the previous year. They're off more than 55% in Beijing and by 39% in Shanghai, reports the National Bureau of Statistics. Prices across the country registered a slight decline in August, the first time in years they haven't increased. In the south, where the downturn began last year, prices are off by 30% in the past 12 months. "There is a big likelihood that next year will be even lower," says Li Yong, general manager of real estate brokerage Century 21 China in Changsha, an industrial city located 700 miles west of Shanghai.

That's a dramatic shift. Since 2005, Beijing had sought to rein in housing prices with measures such as mandatory down payments of at least 30% and a steep tax on profits earned from flipping homes within five years of purchase. Those measures are starting to bite and—with economic growth slowing and the stock market down by more than 60% this year—there's less demand for housing than developers had anticipated.
EASING THE RULES

Beijing is scrambling to keep prices from falling too fast. On Oct. 22 the government exempted land sales from value-added tax; cut down payments for first-time home buyers to 20%, from 30%; and slashed a property transfer tax for new buyers to 1%, from as much as 3%. After five years of tightening credit, the central bank has cut interest rates twice in the past two months and eased reserve requirements at banks to promote more lending. And some cities have introduced subsidies for buyers of small homes and allowed mortgages of up to 30 years, compared with a previous maximum of 20 years.

A prolonged drop in property prices could create big problems for China. Real estate accounts for 25% of all investment and roughly 10% of gross domestic product in the mainland, about double the level in the U.S. Because cities in China often pay for infrastructure by selling land to developers, property-related income accounts for as much as a third of government spending, Merrill Lynch (MER) estimates. "Beijing cannot afford a collapse in the housing sector," declares Jing Ulrich, China equities chief at JPMorgan in Hong Kong.

The slowdown in sales already is taking a heavy toll on China's more than 60,000 developers. Many borrowed heavily to finance growth as real estate values skyrocketed. Now, with prices headed south, dozens have gone belly-up in recent months. Typical of the more troubled companies is Zhejiang Zhonggang in the eastern city of Jinhua. Its chairman skipped the country in October, leaving behind some $20 million in debt and dozens of angry families locked out of homes they had paid for. (The company couldn't be reached for comment.) Next year is looking very tough," says Christopher Lee, director of corporate ratings at Standard & Poor's (MHP) in Hong Kong. "We could see some high-level defaults."

Balfour is Asia Correspondent for BusinessWeek based in Hong Kong. Tschang is a correspondent in BusinessWeek's Beijing bureau.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not surprising. China is the hardest hit to the US meltdown. Although no official figures will ever come out of communist China, I think thousands are retrenched everyday. Not much of a local economy.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i thought 20 yrs ago , china man said they will be number 1 in 50 yrs.

well, of course it plunges, the property are so expensive in comparison to their salary.
it is totally crazy

i think pap is responsible a bit, they invest a lot of money into their property
now i think they are burn.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
i thought 20 yrs ago , china man said they will be number 1 in 50 yrs.

well, of course it plunges, the property are so expensive in comparison to their salary.
it is totally crazy

i think pap is responsible a bit, they invest a lot of money into their property
now i think they are burn.

Thats what I am trying to say. Millions are earning peasants wages working in factories and cannot even dream of owning a house. But they still need to eat and catch the flight home therefore this false perception of a strong economy.

Its a situation exactly like ours. Whereby 3rd world workers come to peesai and cannot afford anything else therefore remitting most of their income home. Even pasar malam affected. But strangely everywhere is crowded.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
singaporeans continue to live a full life - eat,travel,spend and be merry like nothing has happened. good for them. they will enjoy to the fullest until the sky falls and the earth opens up and swallow all of them.but singaporeans still will not careless. leave it to the gahment to handle. just enjoy, makan, make love and rejoice!fuck the recession.fuck the lahmen brothers.fuck the high notes.fuck the banks.fuck everything melamine.knn!

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course wat. Cheeper better. Pillar made with bamboo and paper. Life span of building calculated at 25 year, zhun zhun with the lease life. Cheena thinking. Build so good for fuck? 25 year lease means 25 year life span of flat. Pitcha build new one. People die before that new tenant come. Forward, forward, PRC! Don't believe, wait and see a few more years. Sichuan earthquake oredi obvious. Gahbrahment building goldenbellshield. Ahda building maggothellfield.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forward, forward, PRC!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XyHVsFdxGRU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XyHVsFdxGRU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tibetan no Hans. Canon fodder, Next! Not I say wan. PRC say. What the fuck, most PRC not even Han.
Han people live near Han river, okay? Culture of fake. Wanna tok cock. All people in the world brother, all african! simi lanjiao. Han not african, dont bother. haha!