• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China built fake Paris, ended up as another ghost town but contributed to GDP growth

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
d3cd8b479f8ae0668901a3b1cce3d2cf

Paris or China: Can you tell real thing from replica?​

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/fake-paris-china/index.html

“We’ll always have Paris,” says Rick in cinematic classic “Casablanca” – but what if Paris was replicated thousands of miles across the globe, in China?

That’s the premise of Tianducheng – an unassuming suburb of the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou that also doubles as a large-scale replica of the French capital.

Parisian photographer Francois Prost traveled to Tianducheng to photograph the town’s recreations of iconic Parisian sights: from the Eiffel Tower to the classic Haussmann buildings and the Gardens of Versailles.

Prost produced an eerie photo series comparing the two locations, called “Paris Syndrome” – inviting the viewer to explore the similarities and differences between these duplicate destinations.

Duplitecture​

The buildings in Tianducheng are careful recreations of Parisian sights. Pictured here: Left -- Parisian block replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Parisian block in Paris.

The buildings in Tianducheng are careful recreations of Parisian sights. Pictured here: Left -- Parisian block replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Parisian block in Paris.

“I was interested in this because I’m French, so I found it very funny to pick up […] some cultural heritage from my country, and recreate it there,” he says.

Prost was also inspired by an article by Rosecrans Baldwin, in which the journalist visited all the American towns called Paris – exploring whether people living there felt a connection to their town’s namesake.

In Prost's photos, it's not always easy to ascertain which Paris is real. Pictured here: Left -- Eiffel Tower pose in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Eiffel Tower pose in Paris.

In Prost's photos, it's not always easy to ascertain which Paris is "real." Pictured here: Left -- Eiffel Tower pose in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Eiffel Tower pose in Paris.

Wondering what it would be like to live in a town modeled, after one of the most famous cities in the world, he did some research and discovered there are several places in China that have consciously replicated the architectural styles of European countries – a phenomenon known as “duplitecture.”

“I read this and it filtered through my brain somehow,” says Prost.

Further inspiration came from the concept of Stendhal Syndrome, a term coined for when tourists visit a well-known destination and are overwhelmed by incredible works of art. Linked is the concept of “Paris Syndrome” – when expectations of the City of Light don’t match reality.

There are several places in China in which the architectural styles of European countries have been replicated. Pictured here: Left -- replica Versailles, Tianducheng, China. Right -- Versailles.

There are several places in China in which the architectural styles of European countries have been replicated. Pictured here: Left -- replica Versailles, Tianducheng, China. Right -- Versailles.

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
<strong>Ordinary lives: </strong>What I quite liked in the end is, the place is made by the people living in the place, says Prost. To me, what I saw there, was people just living there as they would live anywhere else. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Versailles fountain in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Versailles fountain in Versailles.</em>

<strong>Snapshots of a city</strong>: Prost is aware that his work presents a snapshot of life in Tianchendong -- not the full story: Let's see maybe in 50 years who is going to live there, maybe it's going to be a completely different person and they will make the place probably completely different, says Prost. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Louvre statue in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Louvre statue in Paris.</em>

<strong>Paris or China?</strong>: Parisian photographer Francois Prost traveled to Tianducheng, China. This suburb of Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province is a life size replica of Paris, France. Prost produced a photo series comparing the two locations, titled <a href=http://francoisprost.com/portfolio-item/paris-syndrome/ target=_blank target=_blank>Paris Syndrome.</a> <em>Pictured here: Left -- Eiffel Tower replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Eiffel Tower in Paris.</em>

Paris or China?: Parisian photographer Francois Prost traveled to Tianducheng, China. This suburb of Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province is a life size replica of Paris, France. Prost produced a photo series comparing the two locations, titled "Paris Syndrome." Pictured here: Left -- Eiffel Tower replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Eiffel Tower in Paris.
Courtesy Francois Prost
<strong>Musical inspiration: </strong>Prost discovered Tianducheng via the <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTGJfRPLe08 target=_blank target=_blank>music video for Gosh</a> -- by musician Jamie xx. He was also inspired by an <a href=https://themorningnews.org/article/our-french-connection target=_blank target=_blank>article</a> by journalist Rosecrans Baldwin, in which Baldwin visited all the American towns called Paris -- investigating whether people living there felt a connection to their town's namesake. <em>Pictured here: Left -- Mona Lisa replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Mona Lisa in Paris.</em>

<strong>Seeing double</strong>: Prost also read up on the concept of duplitecture -- when cities are replicated in other places across the world. I read this and it filtered through my brain somehow, says the photographer. <em>Pictured here: Left -- Parisian block replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Parisian block in Paris.</em>

<strong>Recreated city:</strong> Tianducheng piqued Prost's interest -- he found it both amusing and fascinating that Paris had been recreated across the world: I was interested in this because I'm French, so I found it very funny to pick up [...] some cultural heritage from my country, and recreate it there, he says. <em>Pictured here: Left -- Parisian block replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Parisian block in Paris.</em>

<strong>Expectation versus reality: </strong>Another inspiration behind Prost's project was the concept of Stendhal Syndrome -- when tourists visit a well-known destination and become overwhelmed by the expectation versus the reality of the city. <em>Pictured here: Left -- urban furniture in Tianducheng, China. Right -- urban furniture in Paris.</em>

<strong>Surreal moments: </strong>Prost could relate to this concept -- he recalls when he first went to Venice: Once I got out of the train station, I felt very strange because lots of the scenery I had seen before, he says. I grew up seeing lots of images from Venice. <em>Pictured here: Left -- city view in Tianducheng, China. Right -- city view in Paris.</em>

<strong>Reality and fantasy:</strong> Prost recalls this surreal experience vividly -- and says he also experienced it in New York: I remember I was not really knowing if it was real, it just felt very strange. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Versailles, Tianducheng, China. Right --  Versailles.</em>

<strong>Excitement of travel</strong>: For Prost, this dreamlike feeling is part of traveling: This phenomenon happens always when you travel, it's what makes the traveling somehow exciting, he says. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Latona Fountain, Tianducheng, China. Right --  Latona Fountain, Versailles.</em>

<strong>Dual realities:</strong> Tianducheng is meticulous in its recreation -- in fact, in Prost's photos, it's not always easy to determine which Paris is real. Prost says arriving in Tianducheng was eerie: The first thing I saw was the Eiffel Tower and it looked quite impressive, he says. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Eiffel Tower at night in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Eiffel Tower at night in Paris.</em>

<strong>Multi-faceted recreation:</strong> Tianducheng is a large-scale recreation. There are three elements in this place. There is the Eiffel Tower, then there is the big Haussmann blocks and then there is a replica of Versailles Garden, explains Prost. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Versailles, Tianducheng, China. Right --  Versailles.</em>

<strong>Recreated moments:</strong> Prost conducted the project by taking photographs in China first, as he wasn't sure what he would find there. He took hundreds of photographs of different locations from different angles. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Tuileries Gardens, Tianducheng, China. Right -- Tuileries Gardens in Paris.</em>

<strong>Wedding bells:</strong> Just like in Paris, Tianducheng is a great spot for a wedding photo. <em>Pictured here: Left -- wedding in replica Paris, Tianducheng, China. Right --  wedding in Paris.</em>

<strong>Living conditions:</strong> Prost considered visiting other Paris replicas across the world -- but he found he was most interested in the fact ordinary people lived in Tianducheng -- it wasn't just for tourists: For example in Las Vegas it looks more like an attraction park, with a hotel, he says.  <em>Pictured here: Left -- Eiffel Tower pose in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Eiffel Tower pose in Paris.</em>

<strong>Ordinary town:</strong> During his stay, Prost asked citizens of Tianducheng what they thought of their town's link to Paris. He was surprised by the response. From what I saw, people lived there as they would live anywhere else in China, he says. It feels like any other little town in China. <em>Pictured here: Left -- Eiffel Tower souvenirs in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Eiffel Tower souvenirs in Paris.</em>

<strong>People and stories</strong>: Prost wanted his project to present a comparison between the people living in these two, duplicate locations. I wanted to see how the people would live there and compare it to Paris -- to see between those two places that are many 15,000 kilometers far away -- to see how they would live in the same environment, says Prost. <em>Pictured here: Left -- cleaning staff in Tianducheng, China. Right -- cleaning staff in Paris.</em>

<strong>The Paris factor: </strong>When Tianducheng was first built, the prices were extortionate and few lived there. Prices were later lowered and the town became more desirable. Prost thinks that price -- not Paris -- is key to the attraction of Tianducheng: I think for citizens, I would say they are happy, but they would be happy somewhere else as well, he says. <em>Pictured here: Left -- Parisian block replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Parisian block in Paris.</em>

<strong>Paris power: </strong>The citizens of Tianducheng liked the Eiffel Tower, Prost found -- but overall, the Parisian elements of the town didn't affect their daily lives. <em>Pictured here: Left -- Eiffel Tower fingers in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Eiffel Tower fingers in Paris.</em>

<strong>Appeal of Tianducheng:</strong> They liked the place, they liked the Eiffel Tower, they liked the avenues. But I'm not sure it's a complete choice, I'm not sure they came especially because it's Parisian, reflects Prost. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Fontaine de l'Observatoire in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Fontaine de l'Observatoire in Paris.</em>

<strong>Eye for detail: </strong>Prost admired the attention to detail in Tianducheng -- particularly the Parisian-style streets and avenues. For example they respected the number of floors, the fact the ground floor is supposed to be shops and the second floor belongs to the shop. It's the same in Paris, he explains. <em>Pictured here: Left -- Parisian block replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- actual Parisian block</em><em>.</em>

<strong>Contrast between old and new:</strong> There were some key differences. Of course it was very strange because it's pretty new, so there's not the oldness that some stones can have in Paris, says Prost. <em>Pictured here: Left -- lamp post in Tianducheng, China. Right -- lamp post in Paris.</em>

<strong>Ordinary lives: </strong>What I quite liked in the end is, the place is made by the people living in the place, says Prost. To me, what I saw there, was people just living there as they would live anywhere else. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Versailles fountain in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Versailles fountain in Versailles.</em>

<strong>Snapshots of a city</strong>: Prost is aware that his work presents a snapshot of life in Tianchendong -- not the full story: Let's see maybe in 50 years who is going to live there, maybe it's going to be a completely different person and they will make the place probably completely different, says Prost. <em>Pictured here: Left -- replica Louvre statue in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Louvre statue in Paris.</em>

<strong>Paris or China?</strong>: Parisian photographer Francois Prost traveled to Tianducheng, China. This suburb of Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province is a life size replica of Paris, France. Prost produced a photo series comparing the two locations, titled <a href=http://francoisprost.com/portfolio-item/paris-syndrome/ target=_blank target=_blank>Paris Syndrome.</a> <em>Pictured here: Left -- Eiffel Tower replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Eiffel Tower in Paris.</em>

<strong>Musical inspiration: </strong>Prost discovered Tianducheng via the <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTGJfRPLe08 target=_blank target=_blank>music video for Gosh</a> -- by musician Jamie xx. He was also inspired by an <a href=https://themorningnews.org/article/our-french-connection target=_blank target=_blank>article</a> by journalist Rosecrans Baldwin, in which Baldwin visited all the American towns called Paris -- investigating whether people living there felt a connection to their town's namesake. <em>Pictured here: Left -- Mona Lisa replica in Tianducheng, China. Right -- Mona Lisa in Paris.</em>

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The Chinese Paris is probably a lot better nowadays.

You don't get this sort of shit in Chinese Paris.

iu