• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canada Wakes Up. Will Singapore follow suit?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
After a few years in the job market, one should have formed a network of contacts and have a visible profile in the his/her field. Getting to know players in the market at an intimate level is a must. The CV is just a formality for company's records. These days with IT and e-communications, networks are worldwide. If one chooses to send a resume to any company and hopes to be noticed, good luck. It will be in a pile with dozens if not hundreds of others.

Cheers!

40's is considered old in s'pore's context. can try sending out your CVs into the job market, it will be in-futile.

nomorelisa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canada scraps millionaire visa scheme, ‘dumps 46,000 Chinese applications’

Tens of thousands of Chinese millionaires in the queue will have their applications scrapped and their application fees returned

Canada’s government has announced that it is scrapping its controversial investor visa scheme, which has allowed waves of rich Hongkongers and mainland Chinese to immigrate since 1986.

The surprise announcement was made in Finance Minister Jim Flaherty’s budget, which was delivered to parliament in Ottawa on Tuesday afternoon local time. Tens of thousands of Chinese millionaires in the queue will reportedly have their applications scrapped and their application fees returned.

The decision came less than a week after the South China Morning Post published a series of investigative reports into the controversial 28-year-old scheme.

The Post revealed how the scheme spun out of control when Canada’s Hong Kong consulate was overwhelmed by a massive influx of applications from mainland millionaires. Applications to the scheme were frozen in 2012 as a result, as immigration staff struggled to clear the backlog.

“In recent years, significant progress has been made to better align the immigration system with Canada’s economic needs. The current immigrant investor program stands out as an exception to this success,” Flaherty’s budget papers said.

“For decades, it has significantly undervalued Canadian permanent residence, providing a pathway to Canadian citizenship in exchange for a guaranteed loan that is significantly less than our peer countries require,” it read.

Under the scheme, would-be migrants worth a minimum of C$1.6 million (HK$11.3 million) loaned the government C$800,000 interest free for a period of five years. The simplicity and low relative cost of the risk-free scheme made it the world’s most popular wealth migration program.

A parallel investor migration scheme run by Quebec still remains open. Many Chinese migrants use the alternative scheme to get into Canada via the French-speaking province and then move elsewhere in Canada. The federal government has previously pledged to crack down on what it said was a fraudulent practice.

Flaherty also announced yesterday the scrapping of a smaller economic migration scheme for entrepreneurs.

All told, 59,000 investor applicants and 7,000 entrepreneurs will have their applications returned, Postmedia News reported. Seventy per cent of the backlog, as of last January, was Chinese, suggesting more than 46,000 mainlanders will be affected by yesterday’s announcements.

The Immigrant Investor Program, which has brought about 185,000 migrants to Canada, was instrumental in facilitating an exodus of rich Hongkongers in the wake of the 1989 Tiananmen massacre and in the run-up to the handover. More than 30,000 Hongkongers immigrated using the scheme, though SAR applications have dwindled since 1997.

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/arti...-visa-scheme-dumps-46000-chinese-applications

Singapore is ending a program that allowed wealthy foreigners to “fast track” their permanent residency if they kept at least 10 million Singapore dollars (US$7.9 million) in assets in the country for five years. The moves are aimed at slowing the rapid surge in property prices, which have been driven in part by wealthy investors and which have rankled Singaporeans.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-04-04/singapore-cuts-options-for-wealthy-seeking-permanent-residence

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have many contacts and good network, but in sinkie society, it's unlikely they will be able to match the job that pays as well as your previous. it's still important to rely on your own.

After a few years in the job market, one should have formed a network of contacts and have a visible profile in the his/her field. Getting to know players in the market at an intimate level is a must. The CV is just a formality for company's records. These days with IT and e-communications, networks are worldwide. If one chooses to send a resume to any company and hopes to be noticed, good luck. It will be in a pile with dozens if not hundreds of others.

Cheers!

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damn! Sure hope all these bloody prc 土豪won't find their way here to Singapore as an alternative. Am seriously disgusted by their obnoxious behaviour. They may be rich, but they certainly do not have class, and to top things off, they dress like they just crawl out from some stoneage cave despite all the money they have :rolleyes:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
The more FT PEMTs being let in.......our ppl in their 40s will stand a very slim chance for various reasons......even though they are young.......

"Upgrading" is an over simplified term commonly used by pappies with patronizing attitudes.

It is a competitive world out there. Everybody has to keep upgrading themselves .....................40s is still young by today's standards, they can still learn/acquire new skills.

Cheers!

After a few years in the job market, .................. If one chooses to send a resume to any company and hopes to be noticed, good luck. It will be in a pile with dozens if not hundreds of others.

Cheers!

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair to the civil service...they did blacklist some....and not let in all......maybe on instructions from the source country...:o

QUOTE=winnipegjets;1788045]The rich Ah Tiongs don't come here ...now, maybe they will have to. But sinkapore will always be a stepping stone to somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one has lost work because of retrenchment (eg. factory relocates), that's really tough, and I agree that it will be very difficult to find a job that equals the pay of the previous one. Other than that, what could the reason be for losing the job? Discipline problems? Incompetence? Leaked out company confidential info? Collaborated with competitor? Any of these, I guess getting the sack is fair game. If it is not any of these, then one has to grit one's teeth, walk to anywhere with a sign outside that says "Help Wanted" and look keen and hungry for work. It's not a pretty picture, but that is life. Hope I am not offending you or anyone reading this, this is the real world.

Cheers!

i have many contacts and good network, but in sinkie society, it's unlikely they will be able to match the job that pays as well as your previous. it's still important to rely on your own.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not familiar with the IT and/or banking industry, could there be a shortage of qualified locals? I also read that MOM requires that company's hiring are to have exhausted their search for locals before looking overseas. My company recently (well, since early last year) was hiring sales personnel, and there weren't any local applicants, we eventually hired two from overseas. Those older ones, definitely will be more difficult looking for jobs as younger ones will accept lower pay due to less experience, or rather exposure.

Cheers!

The more FT PEMTs being let in.......our ppl in their 40s will stand a very slim chance for various reasons......even though they are young.......

"Upgrading" is an over simplified term commonly used by pappies with patronizing attitudes.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the Canadian government has done a U turn on this issue, it simply means that the groundswell against these sorts of immigrants is large enough to threaten their re election hopes.

If the PAP felt the same way, they too would do an about face on the current immigration policy.

The fact that they are doing nothing more than giving lip service to the issue of immigrants shows that the PAP is fully confident that Sinkies will not vote them out of office. This is because they know that sinkies are greedy characters and can easily be bought when the time is right.

If Singaporeans want the PAP to be more like the Canadian government, then they'll have to start learning how to behave more like Canadians and not put money before all else.

I'm not holding my breath. Any country where Mercs and Beemers outsell Toyotas and Hondas must have a seriously distorted sense of values.:rolleyes:

they might go to NZ. the only obstacle are the frequent earthquake.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
My point is...put it simply, which of your contacts or network will not mind that you are better paid than them. Anyway, i am replying cos' i miss those days of easy money as an employee.

If one has lost work because of retrenchment (eg. factory relocates), that's really tough, and I agree that it will be very difficult to find a job that equals the pay of the previous one. Other than that, what could the reason be for losing the job? Discipline problems? Incompetence? Leaked out company confidential info? Collaborated with competitor? Any of these, I guess getting the sack is fair game. If it is not any of these, then one has to grit one's teeth, walk to anywhere with a sign outside that says "Help Wanted" and look keen and hungry for work. It's not a pretty picture, but that is life. Hope I am not offending you or anyone reading this, this is the real world.

Cheers!

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jialat liao.... they will come here...

SINKIELAND UNDER THE RULING PARTY ALREADY MADE SUCH A BLUNDER
hope they don't make some mistake, 2016 will be the Papaya awakening!!

Influx of stupid PRC, ah neh and Pinoy already made Stinkaporean disgusted with
the stupid Papaya migtant policies!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not familiar with the IT and/or banking industry, could there be a shortage of qualified locals? I also read that MOM requires that company's hiring are to have exhausted their search for locals before looking overseas. My company recently (well, since early last year) was hiring sales personnel, and there weren't any local applicants, we eventually hired two from overseas. Those older ones, definitely will be more difficult looking for jobs as younger ones will accept lower pay due to less experience, or rather exposure.

Cheers!

There are qualified local people ...just that they are not willing to work 100 hours a week at $3000 per month which works out to $7.50/hr. The PATANs are willing to do that. We need wages to revert back to the local market, not that of the China, India or Philippines.

MOM's requirement is just wayang ...list for 14 days and if there is no response, foreigners can take the job.

Why locals were not qualified for the job openings in your company is bewildering. Long work hours per week? Low pay? Care to enlighten us? I recall you ended up hiring an Ah Tiong for the job.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheers!

In an economy that is not dominated by low cost foreigners, finding another job with similar or higher pay would not be difficult. We are in this situation because of cheap foreign labour.
Sinkapore's economy will always be stuck in the lower value scale with continual dependence on cheap labour.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think it is very good idea to let chinese to live in canada, in the next ice age, they will freeze to death, and the angmoh can eat them as food. Ja they should let more food in. Did you see V.

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think it is very good idea to let chinese to live in canada, in the next ice age, they will freeze to death, and the angmoh can eat them as food. Ja they should let more food in. Did you see V.

Actually, the Chinese handle cold better than the Canadians & Americans. In Inner Mongolia and northern Heilongjiang, normal temperatures regularly reach -40ºC (-50ºC in a cold wave) or lower in winter, and the people go about their daily work with no central heating. Harbin is cold, colder in January than all major Canadian cities (average Jan temp -20ºC), but there are many cities in Heilongjiang, Inner Mongolia and Xinjiang with colder temperatures and little or no heating facilities.

More likely the Chinese will have the Canadians for food in an Ice Age.

Snow and ice? St. Joe's professor has seen worse
pcarter23-600.jpg

St Josephs professor Jay Carter talks about his time in Harbin, China while walking along the D and R Canal in Ewing on January 22, 2014. ( ELIZABETH ROBERTSON / Staff Photographer )

By Jeff Gammage, Inquirer Staff Writer

POSTED: January 24, 2014

Like other people across the Philadelphia region, St. Joseph's University professor James Carter awoke to a frozen world Wednesday, but his reaction to the glacial cold was different than most:

Eh, seen worse.

That's because the respected China scholar conducts research on the frigid northeast city of Harbin, a place where the winters are ridiculously cold, with temperatures at times falling to 20 below and 30 below zero.

The town is known for one thing: ice. Ice skating, ice fishing, and especially the annual International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival, where artists carve magical castles, animals, and pagodas out of, well, ice.

During one of Carter's first visits, the locals told him: Don't sweat the cold. It's not considered harsh until the temperature hits 40 below.
"The good news is, I now know where Fahrenheit and Celsius converge," Carter said of the reading, which is the same in both systems. "The bad news is, I now know what that feels like."

On Wednesday, Carter was at home in Ewing, N.J., chopping vegetables to cook a warm pot of chili, and pondering a cool spot on the other side of the world. He's on sabbatical this semester, working on a book about horse-racing in more temperate Shanghai.
What's fascinating about Harbin winters is not the crazy numbers, Carter said. It's that people there treat the cold like a natural part of the landscape.

It's not like St. Paul or Chicago or Albany, where systems of underground tunnels and skyways shelter people as they move from building to building. Or even like Philadelphia, where snow and cold close governments, roads, and businesses.

In Harbin, the schools don't close in brutal cold because otherwise, schools would never open. People bundle up and get on with their day.
The high in Harbin on Wednesday was 5, the low 4 below zero. By Monday, the low is expected to be about 20 below.

"You do get used to it," Carter said. "I brought thick winter boots. Everyone thought that was hilarious. They just wore regular shoes."
Harbin is huge, home to nearly six million people with five million more in the near suburbs. It's the capital of Heilongjiang province, which sits as far north as one can go in China before crossing the Russian border into Siberia.

Harbin's American sister cities include - to no surprise - Anchorage and Minneapolis.

But it's the city's lesser-known Russian origins that drew Carter there in the 1990s, where he practiced skating on a frozen soccer field and watched people skim the ice from their teacups in the chilly local library.

Since spending that first long, brutal winter, he scheduled his more recent trips for spring and summer. In March, for instance, the average daily temperature soars to 23, which he said actually seemed mild.

Harbin is a Manchu word that means "place for drying fishing nets," and for much of its history it was good for little else. The city was established in 1898 as an extension of the Trans-Siberian Railway. By the 1900s it was essentially a Russian city on Chinese land, leading local Chinese to stage violent protests, explored in Carter's book, Creating a Chinese Harbin.

He's written books, essays, and articles on China, and in 2011 was one of 20 scholars chosen for the public-intellectuals program run by the National Committee on United States-China Relations in New York.

But Harbin calls, and Carter continues to study the smoldering, nationalist resentments in what's now a rust-belt city. Harbin gets by on steel and machine-part production, while at the same time pushing its Russian past, trying to lure tourists to see onion-dome churches and cobblestone streets.

He's seen the city become more violent, and more drunk, probably because the cold does nothing to warm the hearts of Chinese, Russians, and Koreans pressed into close quarters.

"As an armchair sociologist, I'd say people are inside a lot, so they end up drinking a lot."

A nice place?

"Not really," Carter said. "It's an interesting place. . . . It's really cold, and you prepare yourself for it."

[email protected]

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
In hard times, people have to lower their expectancies. When manufacturing in the States went to PRC, Mexico, many yanks took on lower paid jobs, those used to higher level salaries simply became self-employed as "consultants" working from home to cut overhead costs.

I am unable to comment on MOM's "wayang" as I do not know the inner workings of the ministry, but I am sure they are trying to address the situation, but are limited to the things they can do to help the situation.

We never got down to the reasons for no local applicants in our employee search, when we hired the PRCs to work, we just got on with our work objectives, no time to ponder over what is not our scope and just get on with our business. They picked up the skills, learned the ropes and are carrying out their work as expected. I have to admit they're not the Ah Tiong workers we come across at food courts outside but very much like Singaporean working class blokes. Dress appropriately, acceptable phone manners, and eager to meet the customer's needs. Speak English with an almost North American accent, proper grammar too and switch to Mandarin when the customer speaks in Mandarin, that's even better than me!

Cheers!

There are qualified local people ...just that they are not willing to work 100 hours a week at $3000 per month which works out to $7.50/hr. The PATANs are willing to do that. We need wages to revert back to the local market, not that of the China, India or Philippines.

MOM's requirement is just wayang ...list for 14 days and if there is no response, foreigners can take the job.

Why locals were not qualified for the job openings in your company is bewildering. Long work hours per week? Low pay? Care to enlighten us? I recall you ended up hiring an Ah Tiong for the job.