• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bookies' World Cup Betting Tactics Exposed

• Thread starter Yoshitsune Minamoto
  • Start date
Y

Yoshitsune Minamoto

<!-- Story With Image End --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="560"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="350">
20100607.184209_rotabookies.jpg
</td> <td width="5">
blank.gif
</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="200"> <table> <tbody><tr> <td height="81">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="content_subtitle" align="left"> Tue, Jun 08, 2010
The New Paper
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="3"> <!-- TITLE : start -->
Kopi-O code at coffeeshops to avoid arrest <!-- TITLE : end-->
</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="3" height="15">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="3" class="bodytext_10pt"> <!-- CONTENT : start --> [ONLINE: Not only do bookies take bets online and via SMSes, they also offer betting on smartphones.]

By Maureen Koh

PURISTS will mourn if their favourite team is kicked out of the finals. But the odds are, there is another breed who will shed even more tears – the punters. Those laughing all the way to the banks are likely to be the illegal bookies – if they manage to elude the long arm of the law.

Punters rarely come out ahead of the bookies. And that's why the bookies are gearing up to lure those foolish enough to be hooked.
Football punters are known to wager on anything – from which country will win to who scores the first goal, or who has the winning coin toss to the total number of cards (yellow and red) flashed.

To feed this feverish interest, bookies not only take bets online and via SMS, they are also offering"WAP betting"on smartphones.
One website's tagline reads: Turn your smartphone into your personal betting office. But they are not forsaking their favourite betting ground: The coffeeshops.

Said one bookie: "This year, we're setting up kopitiam betting booths – especially because SingTel and StarHub (the two cable- TV providers) are charging too much for subscriptions.
"Many fans would rather nurse a cup of kopi and cheer with a group of people." Some syndicates claim to have recruited a network of "kopi-boys" (workers employed by the coffeeshops) to be their runners.

These "kopi-boys" have been trained to talk in "communication codes" to avoid detection, claimed some bookies chanced upon by The New Paper on Sunday.
"It's easy," he said, and reeled off a string of betting terms. "Like 'kopi' means to 'put ball', 'teh' is 'eat ball'. Milo (also known as 'tak-kiu') is 'jalan odds'. "So 'kopi o' means 'level ball', 'kopi bua sio leng' is put 'half-ball' and 'kopi kao' is 'put one'."

Why bother? Because there's big money at stake. Some $1.3 billion is estimated to have changed hands in Malaysia and Singapore during the last World Cup in 2006.
An online opinion poll conducted by market research company TNS that year revealed that 80 per cent of Singapore's online population was keen on the World Cup, with over half expected to bet on at least one game.

Forty per cent of respondents in China, 41 per cent in South Korea and 37 per cent in Hong Kong also said they planned to bet on matches.
Some regular punters who bet illegally on certain kinds of football games, admitted taking the risk despite being aware of the stiff penalty. People who punt with illegal bookies face a maximum fine of $5,000, or a jail term of up to six months.

Yet they risk it for what they claim to be better odds, better payouts, more variety of bets and betting on credit.
An insurance agent who claimed to have set aside $6,000 for this year's finals, said: "When you bet legally, the winnings are insignificant. Bookies offer better odds."

One punter, who admitted that he was "not really into the actual matches", said: "If I bet on which team scores the first goal, the second it happens, I can go to sleep."
Another regular punter said: "I can even bet on a star player and the number of goals he scores in the match." Such creative betting is not offered by Singapore Pools – the only legal sports bookmaker here.

A bookie, who claimed that this will be the third World Cup season he will "manage", said: "My towkay (boss) got betting station (which is) manned by operators.
"But it's only for regulars – they're given a user code and password. All of them have already opened their accounts and placed their deposits at half their betting credit."

Said the bookie: "Like that, even if the player runs, it's not so 'painful' for us."
He claimed that most of the master agents now have their website servers hosted outside Singapore. Said the bookie: "In the last World Cup, police even blocked the Internet connection and many of our customers could not place their bets."

Then, the police cyberspace blitz spiked bids by punters who placed bets. Also, without the Internet, bookies and runners could not access the latest odds and update the bets systematically.
Convicted bookmakers face fines ranging from $20,000 to $200,000 and a maximum jail term of five years.

Singapore Pools has launched the new PoolzConnect World Cup Account, where account holders with bets of $500 or more during the World Cup will also receive a rebate, capped at $50, to "help our customers defray the cost of their telco subscription to the World Cup telecast".

It hopes that this service will stop punters from turning to illegal bookies during the traditional "betting season".
Existing subscribers of StarHub cable TV and SingTel's mioTV, who signed up before May 31, paid $70.62 ($66 plus GST). The fee now is $94.16 ($88 plus GST).

Special bet types

A Singapore Pools spokesman said that special bet types will be available, such as which team – of the 12 offered for the bets – will be eliminated at the various stages of the competition. Singapore Pools will also introduce special bet types as the tournament progresses. All 64 matches will be telecast live at SportsBuzz@Paradiz, SportsBuzz@Kranji and LiveWire (Resorts World Sentosa).

Mr Wang Guoxiong, 43, a swimming instructor, said he was likely to place his bets with Singapore Pools.
He usually spends about $1,000 during each football betting season. Mr Wang said: "I'm not a heavy bettor, so the odds payout don't really matter. "For me, it's more about the game itself than the gamble."

[email protected]
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Y

Yoshitsune Minamoto

Punter turns bankrupt with S$50,000 debt

<!-- Story Without Image / With eXtra Large Image End --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="560"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" valign="top" width="550">Punter turns bankrupt with S$50,000 debt <!-- TITLE : end--> </td> </tr><tr></tr><tr> <td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top" width="550"> <table> <tbody><tr> <td> <table><tbody><tr><td>
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="content_subtitle" align="left"> Tue, Jun 08, 2010
The New Paper
</td> </tr></tbody></table> </td> <td align="right" width="400"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" valign="top">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td><td>
</td></tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="3" class="bodytext_10pt"> <!-- CONTENT : start -->
WHILE reckless punters may be all prepped up for the betting season, it"s a no-bets time for second-hand car salesman Vincent Ong. He learned his lesson the hard way.

Mr Ong, 38, was declared a bankrupt in 2007 – after he maxed out his five credit cards and borrowed money from friends during the World Cup four years ago.
His total debt was nearly $50,000.

Mr Ong also lost his $3,200 a month job as an advertisement sales consultant for a publishing firm then.
He told The New Paper on Sunday: "It was a really horrible experience. I was jobless for nearly a year because I had to declare my financial status in job applications."

Mr Ong admitted that he was "blinded by greed" because he had made about $4,000 in the 2002 World Cup season.
"At that time, I kept thinking, what a pity I didn"t dare risk higher bets. I"d have won more money. "But now, I"m still making monthly payments to clear my debts."

It was a bitter experience for another punter. In a report published in The New Paper on Sunday in 2006, first-time World Cup punter Nick initially won $7,000 – more than four times his $1,500 salary as a salesman.

But by the time Italy took the trophy on July 10, he lost $40,000 – more than what he earns in two years.
Nick, 27, had emptied his bank account, pawned his gold chains and borrowed money on his credit cards. Both cases indicate a gambling addiction, said Mr Charles Lee, a senior counsellor with Tanjong Pagar FSC.

Ninety per cent of the people he has counselled end up addicted and in debt because of an early winning experience.
Mr Lee said: "When they win, they feel they"re lucky. They also start to think they know the game and the odds. "This point marks the start of an addiction to gambling. Then comes the losing phase, followed by the chasing-the-losses stage."

He added: "When they"re desperate to recover the losses, they get into a deeper rut."
Mr Lee said it is important for gamblers to recognise that the only way out is to stop immediately. "Gamblers must know that they can never beat the odds," he added.

Betting seasons such as this World Cup and festive occasions like Chinese New Year are when recovering addicts are most likely to suffer a relapse.
Said Mr Lee: "They may be recovering but when an event like the World Cup comes along, their cravings return, too.

"That"s why it"s very important to know that one should not start in the first place, because the road to recovery is a lifelong one." In an effort to remind punters to bet responsibly and within their means, Singapore Pools carries the tagline "Enjoy the World Cup, Know Your Limits" in all the World Cup materials and at all its outlets.

GET HELP

- National Addictions Management Service (NAMS) Gambling Helpline: 1800-6668-668
- Tanjong Pagar Family Service Centre Helpline: 6593 6489
- Ray of Hope: 1800-STOP-NOW (1800-7867-669)
- One Hope Centre: 6547 1011
- We Care Community Services: 6471 5346

</td></tr></tbody></table>