• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bitcoin & cyptocurrencies

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just broke USD 16,500.

Daily volume reaches USD 15 billion, one of the highest volume after the Chinese exchanges closure.

Who are the current buyers?

SeeFartLoong

Alfrescian
Loyal
See bitcoin is worthless this Ang Moh dumped millions of dollars of it into trash! Huat or not?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4543488/Man-throws-Bitcoin-hard-drive-worth-4-8billion.html

'I could have gone around the world or bought a yacht': How throwing out one computer part cost an Australian tech expert $4.8 MILLION
  • A man who spent $25 on internet currency says he missed out on $4.8 million
  • Campbell Simpson threw out hardware with now extremely valuable Bitcoin
  • The tech writer had 1400 Bitcoins which are now worth over $3000 each
  • He says he missed out on incredible wealth because he unknowingly threw it out
By April Glover For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 01:49 GMT, 26 May 2017 | Updated: 01:55 GMT, 26 May 2017

299 shares

View comments

A man has shared his grief after he unknowingly threw out a portable hard drive seven years ago which is now worth $4.8 million.

Campbell Simpson, editor of technology website Gizmodo Australia, says he missed out on incredible riches because he jettisoned a piece hardware containing 1400 Bitcoins, a form of internet currency.

Seven years later, the digital market for Bitcoin skyrocketed and Mr Simpson's seemingly insignificant internet cash, which he bought for $25, is now worth millions of dollars.

Campbell Simpson (pictured) says he threw out a hard drive containing Bitcoins now worth $4.8 million

Bitcoins are internet currency that have skyrocketed in price over the last few years

The Sydney journalist ruefully penned an article about his near-miss at achieving remarkable wealth on Gizmodo and described how he came to throw out his $4.8 million hard drive in the bin.

Bitcoin, which is online currency linked to a user's cyber wallet, is payment used to trade on the internet and is accepted by many businesses.

In 2010 Mr Simpson's 1400 Bitcoins were only worth around $25, but now, one Bitcoin is worth AUD$3221.

RELATED ARTICLES
Share this article
'At the start of 2010, Bitcoin trading wasn't even really a thing. It was hard to find anywhere that would accept BTC,' Mr Simpson wrote.

'I used the hard drive for a whole bunch of things. Storing pirated music and movies and TV series, a portfolio of my best tech writing work, all my uni assignments, photos of friends and family and the couple of holidays that I'd taken.'

But as he was preparing to move homes, Mr Simpson did the unthinkable.

In 2010 Mr Simpson's (left) 1400 Bitcoins were only worth around $25, but now, one Bitcoin is worth AUD$3221

SeeFartLoong

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...campbell-simpson-laszlo-hanyecz-a8091371.html

james-howells.jpg

1. INDYTech
Man who ‘threw away’ bitcoin haul now worth over $80m wants to dig up landfill site
'It’s a big, expensive and risky project,' says James Howells, from Newport

Click to follow
The Independent Tech
A British man says he accidentally threw away over $80 million worth of bitcoin.

James Howells, an IT worker from Newport, claims to have unintentionally dumped 7,500 bitcoin in mid-2013.

He is now planning to find them, but isn’t sure how, as he believes the hard drive he saved them to is currently buried in a landfill site.

What is Bitcoin and why is its price so high?
The value of the cryptocurrency was around $130 at the time Howells claims to have thrown the hard drive away. It is currently worth $11,350 (£8,435).

That means the bitcoin stored on the hard drive would have been worth around $975,000 at the time the device is said to have been ditched. Today, they would be worth $85,125,000 (£63,284,463).

“After I had stopped mining, the laptop I had used was broken into parts and sold on eBay. However, I kept the hard drive in a drawer at home knowing it contained my Bitcoin private keys, so that if Bitcoin did become valuable one day I would still have the coins I had mined,” he told the Telegraph.

Gadgets and tech news in pictures

“In mid-2013 during a clear-out, the hard drive – then worth a few hundred thousand pounds – was mistakenly thrown out and put into a general waste bin at my local landfill site, after which it was buried on site.”

He has previously said that he forgot about the hard drive because he had been “distracted by family life and moving house”.

Howells said he started “mining” bitcoin in 2009, using his computer to solve complex mathematical problems to earn rewards.

He says he’s now considering digging up the landfill in order to find the lost hard drive.

“A modern landfill is a complex engineering project and digging one up brings up all sorts of environmental issues such as dangerous gasses and potential landfill fires,” he said. “It’s a big, expensive and risky project.”

Howells’ story isn’t unique. Campbell Simpson, the editor of Gizmodo Australia, says he threw away a hard drive in 2012 that had 1,400 bitcoin on it.

Simpson says the bitcoin had cost him $25 AUD. Today, they’d be worth $15,890,000 (£11,813,100).

In May 2010, developer Laszlo Hanyecz completed what is believed to be the first “real-world” bitcoin transaction by paying 10,000 bitcoin for two pizzas.

“I'll pay 10,000 bitcoins for a couple of pizzas.. like maybe 2 large ones so I have some left over for the next day,” he wrote on 18 May 2010.

“I like having left over pizza to nibble on later. You can make the pizza yourself and bring it to my house or order it for me from a delivery place, but what I'm aiming for is getting food delivered in exchange for bitcoins where I don't have to order or prepare it myself, kind of like ordering a 'breakfast platter' at a hotel or something, they just bring you something to eat and you're happy!

A beginner's guide to buying bitcoin and avoiding scams

“I like things like onions, peppers, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, pepperoni, etc.. just standard stuff no weird fish topping or anything like that. I also like regular cheese pizzas which may be cheaper to prepare or otherwise acquire.

“If you're interested please let me know and we can work out a deal.”

The pizzas cost $25. The 10,000 bitcoin Hanyecz exchanged for them are worth $113,500,000 (£84,350,435).

SeeFartLoong

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/27/hard-drive-bitcoin-landfill-site

Missing: hard drive containing Bitcoins worth £4m in Newport landfill site
A digital 'wallet' containing 7,500 Bitcoins that James Howells generated on his laptop is buried under four feet of rubbish
Damian-blog--Seaton-Meado-007.jpg

The 7,500 Bitcoins on the hard drive were worth around £500,000 when it was thrown in the rubbish. Since then, the value has soared. Photograph: Owen Humphreys/PA
Alex Hern, technology reporter

@alexhern

Wednesday 27 November 2013 16.00 GMT First published on Wednesday 27 November 2013 16.00 GMT

This article is 4 years old

Buried somewhere under four feet of m&d and rubbish, in the Docksway landfill site near Newport, Wales, in a space about the size of a football pitch is a computer hard drive worth more than £4m.

It belonged to James Howells, who threw it out when he was clearing up his desk in mid-summer and discovered the part, rescued from a defunct Dell laptop. He found it in a drawer and put it in a bin.

And then last Friday he realised that it held a digital wallet with 7,500 Bitcoins created for almost nothing in 2009 - and then worth about the same.

"You know when you put something in the bin, and in your head, say to yourself 'that's a bad idea'? I really did have that," Howells, who works in IT, told the Guardian. "I don't have an exact date, the only time period I can give – and I've been racking my own brains – is between 20 June and 10 August. Probably mid-July". At the time he obliviously threw them away, the 7,500 Bitcoins on the hard-drive were worth around £500,000. Since then, the cryptocurrency's value has soared, passing $1,000 on Wednesday afternoon.

bitcoins-008.jpg

In 2009, a few months after Bitcoin's launch, it was comparatively easy to 'mine' the digital currency, effectively creating money by computing. Photograph: Rick Bowmer/AP
Although Bitcoins have recently become part of the zeitgeist – with Virgin saying it will accept the currency for its Virgin Galactic flights, and central bankers considering its position in finance seriously – Howells generated his in early 2009, when the currency was only known in tech circles. At that time, a few months after its launch, it was comparatively easy to "mine" the digital currency, effectively creating money by computing: Howells ran a program on his laptop for a week to generate his stash. Nowadays, doing the same would require enormously expensive computing power.

That lost hard drive, though, contains the cryptographic "private key" that is needed to be able to access and spend the Bitcoins; without it, the "money" is lost forever.

And Howells didn't have a backup.

Howells stopped mining after a week because his girlfriend complained that the laptop was getting too noisy and hot while it ran the programs to solve the complex mathematical problems needed to create new Bitcoins.

In 2010, the Dell XPS N1710 broke after he accidentally tipped lemonade on it, so he dismantled it for parts. Most were thrown away or sold, but he kept the hard drive in a desk drawer for the next three years – until that fateful summer day when he had the clearout.

Howells didn't realise his mistake until Friday. Since then, he said, "I've searched high and low. I've tried to retrieve files from all of my USB sticks, from all of my hard drives. I've tried everything just in case I had a backup file, or had copied it by accident. And … nothing."

He even went down to the landfill site itself. "I had a word with one of the guys down there, explained the situation. And he actually took me out in his truck to where the landfill site is, the current ditch they're working on. It's about the size of a football field, and he said something from three or four months ago would be about three or four feet down."

After he stopped mining Bitcoins in 2009, Howells hadn't given the currency much thought. "I hadn't kept up on Bitcoin, I'd been distracted. I'd had a couple of kids since then, I'd been doing the house up, and forgot about it until it was in the news again."

Howells considered retrieving the hard drive himself, but was told that "even for the police to find something, they need a team of 15 guys, two diggers, and all the personal protection equipment. So for me to fund that, it's not possible without the guarantee of money at the end." As such, he's resigned to never getting the virtual money back.

"There's a pot of gold there for someone … I'm even thinking of registering www.returnmybitcoin.com. It's available," he said. He has also set up a Bitcoin wallet for donations aimed at recovering the hard drive.

"If they were to offer me a share, fair enough," he said. "If they were to go out and find it for themselves … it's my mistake throwing the hard drive out, at the end of the day."

A spokeswoman from Newport council emphasised that any treasure hunters turning up to the landfill site wouldn't be allowed in, but "obviously, if it was easily retrieved, we'd return it."

"I'm at the point where it's either laugh about it or cry about it," Howells says. "Why aren't I out there with a shovel now? I think I'm just resigned to never being able to find it."

Nonetheless, he continues to believe, as he did four years ago, that Bitcoin is the future of money. "I still think it's going to go higher. I just think it's the next step of the internet, which is why I mined it in the first place. When I first came across it, I knew straight away. We had everything else at the time; Google, Facebook, they were already the market leaders in their areas. The only thing that was missing was an internet money."

Bitcoin: what you need to know

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
over 2500 types of cryptocurrencies traded now and why Bitcoin getting the spotlight?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
over 2500 types of cryptocurrencies traded now and why Bitcoin getting the spotlight?
partly the frenzy among tiongs, sinkies included. the problem with bitcoin is it's not impossible to cash out but it's extremely difficult as the sites keep crashing. you need to trade for something other than regular currency in order to sell. it's almost like a one-way conversion. sounds like hotel california. you can check out all you want but you can never leave unless you die or it crashes to nothing.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-big-bitcoin-problem-just-discovered-211912644.html

d71d8730-b505-11e7-9d22-5f11dcad3fc7_95c8d770-a796-11e7-969e-57b4943fb762_Oath1.jpg

Rick Newman
Columnist
Yahoo FinanceDecember 7, 2017

Bitcoin is not liquid
On mature markets, traders would take immediate advantage of large price variations by buying at the lowest price and selling at the highest price, normally in a matter of seconds. Computers might even do it automatically. But the limited liquidity on bitcoin markets doesn’t completely allow for that—for now. And one reason is the difficulty some bitcoin holders have selling when market action is hot.

If you can’t sell when the price is rising, it might not be that big a deal. You just have to wait until trading calms down and you can get an order through, by which time the price will be even higher.

But if you can’t sell when the price is falling, that could be a major problem that compounds losses, intensifies selling pressure and wrecks confidence in the cryptocurrency. If you want to sell at $10,000 but can’t get an order in until the price drops to $8,000, the delay costs you $2,000, or 20%, on top of whatever the loss would have been at $10,000. As word gets out that sell orders may not be filled, more people are likely to submit sell orders preemptively, hoping to get in line while they can.

This can create the equivalent of a bank run, with more customers trying to get their cash out than Coinbase or any other exchange might be able to handle. Bank runs begin as psychological panics, which means that even if Coinbase had the assets on hand to fulfill all requests, technical problems preventing those transactions could freak consumers out just as much as if their money were actually gone. Once confidence crumbles, everybody wants their assets in hand, rather than in the system. That wrecks the market. For everybody wondering if bitcoin is a bubble about to burst, well, that’s one way it could burst.

The risky nature of bitcoin
Bitcoin is not an ordinary financial product, but a new and highly risky one. Anybody investing in it should be prepared for disruptions and other risks. Nobody should have to sell bitcoin urgently because they need the cash, for one thing. If you don’t have an emergency cash fund, then you should build one before you risk your money buying bitcoin, which could still plunge in value, at any time.

But many bitcoin backers also believe (or hope) that bitcoin will become a mainstream financial instrument, similar to gold or other commodities. For that to happen, liquidity needs to improve and trading disruptions need to become rare, no matter how hot the trading action is.

I bought my little bitcoin stash fully aware that its value could plunge to nothing and I should write the money off. I was also willing to risk a little bit of money because I knew I’d learn more about bitcoin if I had a stake in the action. So there shouldn’t come a time when I need to sell on a moment’s notice. But I’d also like to know the exchange holding my coin is a professional operation getting closer to financial-market standards. Everybody in bitcoinland is learning, it seems.

Last edited:

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

it has been cornered. :biggrin:

Bitcoin’s record-setting run took another unprecedented turn on Thursday, as the bitcoin price ripped past $19,000 on cryptocurrency exchange GDAX, leaving a trail of altcoin carnage in its wake. However, the rally was characterized by unusual trading activity, including one of the largest BTC/USD spreads in recent memory. Bitcoin Price Clips $19,000 The breathtaking climb saw bitcoin rise more than $5,000 in a span of 12 hours. The journey from $17,000 to $18,000 took just fifteen minutes, and the leap from $18,000 to $19,000 was accomplished in five. By 11:30 a.m. ET — the end of the surge — the bitcoin price had reached $19,697 and was threatening to crack $20,000

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bitcoin is a scam that the governments condone through passive non-action. Imagine Singapore allows private 4-D, gambling dens operating without license. Bitfinex is now the largest bitcoin exchange accessible in most countries. Go to their "About Us" page. They don't even give where they are registered, governed by the laws of which land. No names of office bearers. If I introduce my own Singapore bitcoin exchange, the first thing I will mention is "...it is regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore...Charted Exchange conferred by the Singapore President...". Bitfinex is a wholly unregulated exchanged. Who knows how they "make the market", creating fake high sells matched by their own buys - the spot prices easily pumped up by these partial fake buy/sells to pull in those unwary wanting to follow a "sure-win" game.

I think the exchanges will not allow you to buy and then sell immediately after; they can make the excuse it takes time (hours or days) to confirm a blockchain transfer before you may again sell. I have read it is difficult to sell as they ask for many documents before they will allow you to transfer bitcoins to sell + days for confirmation. It is a market favoring buy bitcoins, not sell.

Chan Rasjid.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
CBOE and CME Bitcoin futures could spell the beginning of the end, launching 10 and 17 Dec.

I have traded futures...and is much ,much easier than doing the physicals..
So with this launch, many bitcoin holders will find it easier to lock in their profits and hence put the
lid on the explosive rise of the bitcoin. There seem to be some inverse link between the bitcoin and gold....
perhaps it is now a good time to buy the yellow metal.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It just dawned on me that Temasek is the one buying bitcoin at these prices.
if true, most likely buy at $17k while others selling it down to $15k. buy high sell low works wonders for them. it's going back up to $16k thus cannot sell low yet. :p

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dont understsnd.
assume when you first bought a bitcoin at a dollar.
today is worth $3000 a coin.
you wanna sell off.
you have a massive profit.
who pay you the profit?not the bank,not business owner ,not the gov , not those gold invester, not those who bought bitcoins..etc.
who pay you the extra $2999 per coin?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
i dont understsnd.
assume when you first bought a bitcoin at a dollar.
today is worth $3000 a coin.
you wanna sell off.
you have a massive profit.
who pay you the profit?not the bank,not business owner ,not the gov , not those gold invester, not those who bought bitcoins..etc.
who pay you the extra $2999 per coin?
New buyers. It is like houses. Except this is make believe non physical thing.

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
New buyers. It is like houses. Except this is make believe non physical thing.

you mean new kuku buyer who come in late bought at $300 a coin ?their lose become the pionner batch gain?
same like mlm? those come in late have a slim chance to make $$