• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Be proud SGs - have the courage not to fly the flat

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I refer to the 5 Aug 2014 Straits Times letter “Be proud S’poreans, fly the flag” by Mr David Tan Kok Kheng.

National pride and political affiliation ought to be separate issues but sadly in real life they are not. On National Day, there will be a PAP and an NTUC contingent on the parade square. Every title, every accolade that the nation wins, the PAP is too eager to claim as theirs. How to separate national pride from political affiliation when political elements permeate all things national?

There are grave national issues at stake at the moment and the people feel betrayed. Flying the national flag means endorsing the policies of this nation which the people are against. The people’s feelings and actions are understandable. No one should be forced to fly the flag when he or she feels betrayed. No one should be accused of not loving the country for making a statement about how he or she feels towards the national agenda. This is the collective show of force by the silent majority.

Why should we be the laughing stock when we display the moral consistency of rejecting the over-flux of foreigners and not flying our flags to show our displeasure? On the contrary, the laughing stock belongs to those who claim to be unhappy with the PAP yet fly the flag to show solidarity with the PAP. Is how other countries view us more important than how we feel about our country? Our country is already divided at the core. No amount of flag flying can change that.

If this continues on Singapore’s 50th Independence Day, Singaporeans can pat themselves on their backs because they would have shown that they have the backbone and the pride to demonstrate in their own small ways what they want for their country.

Singaporeans don’t have to fly our flags to be proud Singaporeans. We can be proud that collectively and silently, we can show the ruling party, the strength of our unity.

This unique episode shows that ultimately it is the people, not the state that can demonstrate national pride. Without the people, national pride is meaningless even if the state were to plant flags everywhere. What better time to demonstrate this than the National Day?

http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com...hat-you-have-the-courage-to-not-fly-the-flag/

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
People who argues that the flag represents the country and not govt couldn't be more wrong and confused.

The flag technically represent the state and not country. State is the self governing political entity which encompass the government, political system, the constitution, anthem etc.

For example ,when the communist overthrown KMT in China, the name of the state was change from ROC to PRC with it comes a new flag, anthem and constitutions but the country remain the same.The same example for Libya recently when Gaddafi regime was overthrown.

If we really oppose the the govt, the political system like Elected Presidency, GRC etc, there is no reason to hang that flag that represent all these. In not hanging the flag is our way to point our middle finger at PAP.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
David Tan Kok Kheng is one of the 60.1%, I can smell one from far away. :rolleyes:

After all, it takes a special breed of bootlicker to get his/her letter frequently published on the ST forum. :wink:

Take special note of the list of interests on his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/david.t.kheng

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/writer-the-week-20130701

ST_20130701_01DAVIDTAN_3692177e.jpg

WHO: David Tan Kok Kheng, 45, contact centre manager

MY FAMILY: Married to housewife Camillae Choo, 45, with a daughter, Gilliah Tan XinYi, 14, and a son, Joen Tan ZhouEn, 12.

MY HOME: A five-room HDB flat in Tampines.

MY PASSIONS: Photography (football, wildlife, nature), football and writing.

I STARTED WRITING TO THE FORUM PAGE IN... The 1990s.

WHAT I WRITE ABOUT: I usually write about football and social issues. I remember that during the peak of the Malaysia Cup in the early 1990s, I wrote about banning smoking in the stadiums and was elated when this came to pass some months later. I still get stick from my smoker friends today.

Over the years, I have written about taking babies into cinemas, cable TV problems and so on.

WHY I WRITE: I write to bring to attention issues that I think will impact Singaporeans and our way of life. I believe in being positive in bringing out issues, which is a more effective way to attract attention than to write in an abrasive manner.

I READ THE FORUM PAGE BECAUSE... The views and arguments brought forth by fellow writers are usually fair. It also allows me to get a feel of the latest issues affecting Singaporeans.

MY WISH FOR SINGAPORE: That we will remain a peaceful country with a low crime rate. As we advance at a faster pace each day, I hope fellow Singaporeans can take some time to smell the flowers and watch the sunset occasionally.

---

Name stadium after Lee Kuan Yew
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/name-stadium-after-lee-kuan-yew-20131116

I AGREE that there is no local sports personality big enough to have a stadium named after him ("Big stadium needs big name"; Wednesday).

However, I disagree that to be considered, the person must have influenced the progress of only sports in Singapore.

When the original National Stadium was officially opened in 1973 by then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, it was seen not only as a move towards a more sporting nation but also a step forward in nation building.

I am very sure that when the new National Stadium opens its doors next year, Singaporeans will beam with pride and draw parallels to how Singapore has progressed since 1973.

If there is one single personality who comes to mind when we think about the building of this nation, be it economically, socially, in education or even sports, it is Mr Lee.

Though he may not be directly involved in the progress of sports, his relentless push for progress in nation building provided the platform for Singaporeans to pursue sporting success.

Let us not forget that unless the nation is doing well, sporting success does not mean much.

I suggest that the stadium be named after Mr Lee.

Doing so will also have an inspiring impact on our sportsmen, as each time they line up to compete, they will be reminded of the Singapore success story and the obligation to fight for the nation like Mr Lee has done.

David Tan Kok Kheng

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
& today ST article gave all the wrong reasons why sgians not flying the flag.............. God saves ST

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also to disassociate yourself from anything remotely related to NDP.
It's a celebration for the 60.1% gong cheebyes and the FTs only....real Singaporeans aren't invited or welcome.
Take the day as a free day off.
And we should have a wear black day on that day.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singapore----the land of guilt and shame

after they shame singaporeans for being too lazy and not cheap enough,they shame singaporean for being xenophobic and not letting more foreigners in,now they shame singaporeans for not being patriotic after being patronised and anal fisted every way from sunday.

whybornme

Alfrescian
Loyal
fuck you!!!!mother fucker!!!!!
the flag and pap are 2 separate entities.
pap is part of Singapore
Singapore is not a part of pap.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm more than happy to fly a merlion flag... or one that signifies our national identity before Pap sold it off cheaply to foreigners . I will display that flag with pride.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
People who argues that the flag represents the country and not govt couldn't be more wrong and confused.

The flag technically represent the state and not country. State is the self governing political entity which encompass the government, political system, the constitution, anthem etc.

For example ,when the communist overthrown KMT in China, the name of the state was change from ROC to PRC with it comes a new flag, anthem and constitutions but the country remain the same.The same example for Libya recently when Gaddafi regime was overthrown.

If we really oppose the the govt, the political system like Elected Presidency, GRC etc, there is no reason to hang that flag that represent all these. In not hanging the flag is our way to point our middle finger at PAP.

You may have a point, but politically that is not a good message to send to the voters. We want voters to be aware that even if the regime changes, the country Singapore continues to survive and even prosper. That means anchoring the concept of the permanency of the state, but the transience of its government.