• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Asian Games athletics official in stable condition after being hit by hammer

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal

Asian Games athletics official in stable condition after being hit by hammer​

Asian Games athletics official in stable condition after being hit by hammer
A judge is injured after Kuwait's Ali Zankawi throws the hammer through the net during the men's hammer throw final. (Photo: Reuters/Dylan Martinez)
01 Oct 2023 01:54PM (Updated: 01 Oct 2023 11:16PM)

HANGZHOU, China: An athletics official suffered a broken leg and serious bleeding after being hit by a misthrown hammer in the Asian Games in Hangzhou, but his vital signs are now stable, a spokesman for the Games said on Sunday (Oct 1).

Just before 8pm (1200GMT) on Saturday, Kuwait's Ali Zankawi lined up for one of his throws in the men's hammer final at the eastern Chinese city's packed Olympic stadium. But instead of soaring straight onto the outfield, the hammer flew out sideways and low to the right, smashing into the leg of the sitting technical official.

Looking horrified, Zankawi sprinted over as blood began spurting from the official's right leg. The official, Huang Qinhua, 62, grimaced and swayed dizzily as Zankawi rushed to check on him, blood shooting out of the wound.
Within seconds Zankawi was using his hands and strength to improvise a tourniquet on Huang's thigh and halt the bleeding. Medical personnel soon took Huang away on a stretcher after applying a tourniquet, then sent him to a nearby hospital.

"He arrived at the hospital at 8.15pm, where was diagnosed with a right open tibiofibular fracture," Games spokesman Xu Deqing told a news conference on Sunday. "Currently his vital signs are stable."

Zankawi, a silver medallist at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha, later told AFP he visited Huang in his hospital bed on Sunday and apologised. The apology was accepted and they took a photograph together.

kuwaiti_hammer_throw.jpg
Kuwait's Ali Zankawi throwing the hammer that injured an official during the men's hammer throw final at the Asian Games. (Photo: AFP/William West)

Describing the accident, the 39-year-old said: "I raised my head and discovered that the hammer had bounced from the ground to the official's leg, so I quickly ran to him and tried to help him, especially since he was in a state of shock and writhing in pain.

"After I got to him, I discovered a slit in his trousers and saw blood pouring from the leg, and I knew it was broken.

"Then I tied it tightly to stop the bleeding until the ambulance arrived, so I helped them by putting him on an ambulance stretcher to transport him to hospital."

Zankawi, who finished eighth behind Chinese winner Wang Qi, was shaken by the incident but said it could have been far worse.

"Thank god the hammer hit the ground before it hit his leg," he said.

The final was won by China's Wang Qi. Zankawi finished eighth but still managed a season's best of 67.57m, which he threw in the second round before his misthrow.

As is common in athletics competitions, the official had sat several metres from the cage-like netting that surrounds the throwing circle where the athletes spin and take their throws.

But the power and velocity of the 7.26kg flying metal ball meant the netting could only slightly cushion the hammer's flight, not stop it.

The netting in athletics is designed to hang relatively loosely to prevent hammer balls and discuses from bouncing back at the athletes after misthrows.

Many users of Chinese social media platform Weibo, where the incident was trending on Sunday, said safety protocols should be improved to offer better protection for officials.